Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodge 2002 ram van 18.7 gal highway milage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge 2002 ram van 18.7 gal highway milage?

Hello all,
    looking forward to interacting with you on CNG. I just bought a dodge van I want to drive it from San Diego to Phoenix which will push the capacity limit between stations. Does anyone have any real world experience with total miles drive before empty? The gauge reads empty at 190 miles all highway use but it has 5 Plus gallons left when I fill it up. How bad is the mileage at 75 or 80 on the hgwy? Any help would be appreciated. I have to go about 260 miles between filling.
    Thanks

Re: Dodge 2002 ram van 18.7 gal highway milage?

Welcome to CNGCHAT.

The real world useable capacity is about 85% of rated gallons equivelent on any cng vehicle if you fast fill at a commercial station. Hot weather affects this a lot, and not in a good way. Slow fill home fueling will get a little more in.

I have been driving on cng for almost 8 years now and used to push the limits on range a lot , also got towed to the station a few times.Keep in mind, your fuel "Gauge" is on only a general indication , it is a pressure gauge , not a level gauge.

Sign up for Auto club Plus membership with 100 mile towing. It costs a little more , but could save you hundreds on a long distance tow . Most of the old timers in CA on the forum have it.
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 08-23-2009, 12:52 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

Techcote,
      Welcome to the LA/Phoenix or San Diego/Tucson conundrum. Without a station in Blythe/Ehrenberg or Gila Bend/Casa Grande, your looking at an expensive tow or adding an extra tank(s) to increase your range.
      Even if you got a good fill in Indio (during the summer, that's not going to happen), that stretch has always been rough without a station anywhere in between. I once had to have a bus I was driving towed from Buckeye to Phoenix.
      If you're interested in extra range tank(s), I've done several 2000-2002 B2500/3500 upfits for a fleet in Corona and could put something together for you.

Happy Trails!
      Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Interesting. I guess I'm lucky thus fare. Maybe that explains why the pump in Carlsbad always stops at 85% perecent full? So if the Van takes 13.5 gallons at fill up can I assume that it had 5 gallons still in it or not? It appears that I'm getting 16 on the highway which is the high end of the mileage range. I'm cruising at about 75. The extra tank is interesting. Where does it go and what is the volume/price of such an upgrade?? Thanks all

Comment

If the dispencer at the station stops at less than 100%, pauses with the lower % flashing, then reads 100%, then the pressure is low at that station. You are not getting a complete fill. Nothing wrong with your vehicle.

When I said 85% in the first reply, that is due to heat of compression in fast filling the tank.

16 mpg at 75 for a full size Dodge is good. Sounds like it's extra tank time.

Comment

That's exactly what it does. thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by techcote View Post
              Where does it go and what is the volume/price of such an upgrade??
              Techcote,
              Is your van cargo or passanger? Cargo, usually behind driver or driver/passanger. Passanger vans usually behind or in place of last row of seats.
              I have a Type 2, PST, 9-10 GGE @ 3,600 psi with brackets and venting setup for properly installing inside the van. It was a factory setup from a Ford E-series shuttle van.

PM or email me if you are interested.
              Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Working...
              X