cng in 2005 dodge ram 4.7 liter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cng in 2005 dodge ram 4.7 liter

My question is with multiport fuel injection will natural gas go into the fuel line or the air intake? If it goes into the fuel lines what needs to be done to keep it from going back into the fuel tank?

Thanks
    Mike:

Re: cng in 2005 dodge ram 4.7 liter

Mike, are you looking to install a kit yourself? The kits available off the internet are, for the most part, illegal in the US. The legal kits are only available to, and should only be installed by, a trained cng conversion company.

Comment

mikebough,

I have a 2000 Dakota with the same engine. I have a dual-fuel set up. My truck starts on gasoline and after it's warmed up it switches to NG. When I run out of NG (usuall 200 psi) it switches back to gasoline.

My conversion is from Eco Fuel Systems here in Canada. Check out their site
      ecofuel.com

This is a seperate fuel system with it's own set of 8 injectors, wiring harness, computer, natural gas tank, all valves, hoses, switches etc. The NG computer uses the sensor input from the original gasoline computer for things like MAP, TPS, IAC, Inlet Temp, Water temp etc and calculates the NG injector timing, ignition timing etc.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by mikebough View Post
        My question is with multiport fuel injection will natural gas go into the fuel line or the air intake? If it goes into the fuel lines what needs to be done to keep it from going back into the fuel tank?

Thanks
        Mike:
        To answer your question specifically -- don't do it. That fuel rail on the Dodge is not design for gaseous fuels and neither are the injectors. The other comments in this thread are good.

Get a legal kit and have it installed professionally by someone who high pressure natural gas system.

Good Luck

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
          mikebough,

I have a 2000 Dakota with the same engine. I have a dual-fuel set up. My truck starts on gasoline and after it's warmed up it switches to NG. When I run out of NG (usuall 200 psi) it switches back to gasoline.

My conversion is from Eco Fuel Systems here in Canada. Check out their site
          ecofuel.com

This is a seperate fuel system with it's own set of 8 injectors, wiring harness, computer, natural gas tank, all valves, hoses, switches etc. The NG computer uses the sensor input from the original gasoline computer for things like MAP, TPS, IAC, Inlet Temp, Water temp etc and calculates the NG injector timing, ignition timing etc.

Hope this helps.

Brian
          just wondering what is wrong that you cant get it started on cng I have had this problem before it comes down the air fuel mix is wrong to rich or lean it wont start and cranking wont pull the gas or swichsclosed
          just wondering

Comment

cowboy,

The Eco EDi system is designed that way. It does not start on NG. That is the design of the system. It allows the Dodge PCU to retain all of its calibrations and pre-set and prevents any DTC codes from flashing up. The original PCU has adaptive learning and changes things like ignition and injector timing as the engine and sensors change with temp and barometric pressure as well as deterioration over time. The EDi PCU waits for the engine to warm up first the switches over to NG. This is all set in the EDi tuning which is fully adjustable by the Eco technicians. It is not end-user adjustable. I wish it was!

A good example of this is if you change the throttle position sensor. The PCU needs to relearn the proper position for idle speed as the output from the sensor may be different from the old one. The manual states you reset the PCU by removing power for a period of time then when you restart the vehicle you let it idle for 2 minutes to allow the PCU to establish the idle settings.

This is also why the Eco EDi system switches off before it completely runs out of NG,so the original PCU does not receive any faults from the engine or remaps idle settings etc due to lower NG pressure effecting the way the engine is running.

Cheers

Comment

ok makes sence to me hope i dont end up with one id be lost

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                ok makes sence to me hope i dont end up with one id be lost
                BRIAN with the 2000 dakota

Could you please e-mail me with some info on your cng eco system conversion like exactly what did you need ,what did it cost and if you did it yourself, how hard was it? I would greatly appreciate any info.

thanks
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X