Thread: Building Fire and Explosion in Ogden, UT (2 threads merged)

Default Building Fire and Explosion in Ogden, UT (2 threads merged)

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=212...cid=featured-3

A building caught fire and then things started to explode. The report says that there were natural gas tanks inside the building. It doesn't specifically mention CNG tanks. Anybody have any additional information about this incident? Good news was that nobody was hurt.
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 07-20-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Merger of 2 posts
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Blog Entries

Default Re: Building Fire and Explosion in Ogden, UT

It was a warehouse for CNG Global, my friend Anthony's warehouse, there were many CNG tanks inside, it was a huge loss, I am glad no one was hurt, Jim
    Jim Younkin
    www.younkincng.com

Default Fire at Innovative Transportation Shop

[B]Compressed natural gas from canisters played role in business fire

http://www.standard.net/stories/2012...-business-fire
    July 20, 2012

OGDEN — Compressed natural gas that escaped from canisters likely played a significant role in fueling a fire and explosions that demolished a business on Monday, according to city fire officials.

The blaze and blasts that destroyed a 1,500- square-foot storage building at 105 West 7th St. owned by Innovative Transportation did not cause any injuries but could have been deadly, said City Fire Marshal Brandon Thueson.

“We feel very fortunate that it didn’t kill some of our firefighters or injure people in the neighborhood,” he said.

Innovative Transportation sells compressed natural gas conversion kits for motor vehicles, said Thueson. Although the ignition source has not been pinpointed, it’s possible gas leaking from CNG canisters helped start the blaze, he added.

The fire destroyed three vans, two trucks, an airport shuttle and a forklift.

Damages to the building and its contents are estimated around $170,000, said Thueson.

The Ogden and North View fire departments responded to the blaze with 28 personnel, who manned two fire engines, three ladder trucks, two ambulances, a rescue truck and a brush truck.

It took about an hour to knock down the fire. Dozens of spectators watched firefighters battle the blaze, which spewed thick black smoke visible for miles.

Default Re: Fire at Innovative Transportation Shop

first and formost I have never bought a (cng canister) that came with gas in it. thick black smoke whould not be cng burning off sorta like the truck crash with big bad truck but well over 75% of truck crashs are not caused by the truck but rather by the car just blame it on whatever is the pc cause this week.I will be waiting for the offical cause

Why would anybody in their right mind, store hundreds of CNG tanks with NG still in them? That's just as bad as storing hundreds of gasoline cans with various amounts of gasoline in each one.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Quote Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
    Why would anybody in their right mind, store hundreds of CNG tanks with NG still in them? That's just as bad as storing hundreds of gasoline cans with various amounts of gasoline in each one.
    Just wait, this is only the tip of someone's iceberg. I'm personally waiting for the dust to settle before giving you all the back (scary) story.
    Let's just say, I've been waiting for this to happen...
    Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator