Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip

Default Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip

Attachment 3175Now that the Guymon, OK CNG station is open, I've been thinking about taking a 2 week vacation and visiting an aunt (I've never met) who lives in Pennsylvania. Maybe also visit Gettysburg.

I think I may have found a viable route (see attached... I'll need to check on the issues highlighted in yellow).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, especially for stops along the way. Otherwise it'd be a very long boring drive... I'll check for Diners, Drive-ins & Dives on the route. Any ideas on sightseeing or dining destinations along the way will help break up the drive. Gary and I both have National Park passes, so we'll probably plan for some stops there too.

if any other NGV'rs want to meet up along the way, that be great too!

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
    Evelyn

For those without Microsoft Excel, get your free reader at
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=10

Eastbound Route (29 Jul 2012).jpgWestbound Route (28 Jul 2012).jpg2 Week Cross Country GX Planning (29 Jul 2012).xlsx
    Last edited by eloo; 09-13-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Update to CNG station stops; added Louisville, KY to route; remove Trinidad POC
    White '09 GX

2. Default Re: Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip

I have been planning a similar trip from Irvine, CA for a Civic GX to drive cross country. I determined that adding a 9 GGE tank to the trunk was the best solution. Your approach is interesting, and the results will the useful to this community.

DSCF1152.jpg
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Default Re: Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip

noticed you are coming thru indy sometimes greenes has problems or arent open if so visit our station KAKCO at 4355 lafayette blvd.( only a few miles away) i hope this helps. good luck
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012 at 05:06 PM.

I cant see your route as I am running a old browser that wont download it but if you are comming through tennessee on 40 I will be happy to fill you up

i have taken my NGV on vacation/nascar a few times and it can be fun . take a GPS and punch in the address of your next CNG station . if its gonna be close dont get off the exit searching for something your GPS says should be there . go for the sure thing right off the exit . know the range of your car .
    cngprices.com now has a trip planner so you can pre-do your route and know if you can make the next station .
    - the station in north east oklahoma (miami) is only a 3000psi and could have poor pressure ,and should be a little more north than what your GPS says
    - the station in springfield mo is new and is only open banker hours - no weekends
    - the station in st louis mo you might have trouble getting fuel at . call ahead on that one for sure .
    - plymouthmeeting pa is NOT a clean n green , its run by peco energy , you can set up an account easy in less than 2 hours as long as you can send them a fax . if not message me a few days before you leave and i can tell you a code to punch in . no charge
    if you can make it another 18 miles you can hit up clean n green in camden nj .
    - some of the stations in eastern north carolina are only open banker hours (8am-3pm) no weekends ..
    take photos of CNG stations along the way and post them on cngprices.com . i did for niagara falls ny / newark n.j. / dover del and others between .
    other tips if its gonna be close . you can hyper-mile and drive 58mph and get more out of it . or when you get fuel , let your tank cool down about 3 hours after getting gas (go grab lunch) and then you can get another 1.5 gge in .
    call ahead to places you think you might have trouble getting fuel at .before you leave

03 crown vic
    02 silverado 2500HD 4-S
    broken phil

Well done Evelyn!

If you do it.. Keep us involved!

Chris
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nascrawler View Post
    noticed you are coming thru indy sometimes greenes has problems or arent open if so visit our station KAKCO at 4355 lafayette blvd.( only a few miles away) i hope this helps. good luck
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll add your station to my list.
    White '09 GX

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I cant see your route as I am running a old browser that wont download it but if you are comming through tennessee on 40 I will be happy to fill you up
    Hi cowboy!
    I'm looking at a different route westbound back to Guymon, OK via Nashville and Memphis, TN.
    Gary & I are both big C&W fans, so I figure we need to make a stop somewhere there.
    Will keep you posted as the plan & schedule get finalized (hopefully by the end of the month).
    And thanks for your kind offer.

Everyone - thanks for your feedback and support. This just might work out.
    White '09 GX

Blog Entries

Evelyn, the CNG Across America Road Trip is now officially on the map. Since this trip was the brainchild of 300mileclub and others at the annual CNGChat Cruise-In at Thunder on the Lot this year, CNGChat will be an official sponsor for the trip. John & I will also help coordinate other sponsorships, help bring national media awareness to this trip and make it a smashing success.

If we do this in October we can tie it into National AFV Odyssey Day (http://afvdayodyssey.org/), which has its National kick-off (press event) in Indianapolis on October 18th. I can arrange for you to arrive and be a guest speaker at that event to talk about CNG and your journey. I can put on an Odyssey Day Event here in CA to serve as the launch point for the trip and possibly another at your final destination.

CNGChat will host your official trip blog and provide a way for members to sign on to caravan with you through various legs of your journey. I'll do a Clean Cities Radio show with you while on the road and help arrange press events along the way.

Any one who wishes to sponsor the trip financially, with fuel, media, promotions, or in any way should email me at cm224@juno.com, so I can coordinate everyone's efforts. This is a huge opportunity that reproduces the original Civic GX cross country trek done by American Honda as part of their National kick-off of the Civic GX back in 1998. Read about it here. Sorry to disappoint those of you that thought this was a first.

Am I scaring you yet Elayne? In for a penny... in for a pound, right?

I am interested in any comments and ideas from our membership on how we can make this a huge success. Just post your ideas right here in this thread.
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Curtis Martin
    Program Coordinator
    Antelope Valley Clean Cities Coalition
    Cell # 661-492-5916

Fabulous idea and likely the MOST PROMINENT Advertising for CNG vehicles that has been done in many years!! Way to go Evelyn!!

Only thing I can think of was VW promotion where they had a vehicle just full of cng tanks and range of over 1,000 miles that made a cross-country trek a couple years ago.

With Evelyn being one of few women on CNGChat . . . and obviously an avid CNG driver . . . this could do more for CNG sales of Honda Civic GX's (especially to women) than any of Honda's advertising efforts!!

Would also recommend all the Facebook, YouTube, etc techie advertising that can be extracted from this effort!!
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast