Thread: What does flashing engine light mean?

1. Default What does flashing engine light mean?

I've got a 2002 Honda Civic GX that I bought used with no manual. There is a yellow engine-shaped light on the left side of the cluster that just began flashing and sometimes stays on solid. Any idea what that means?

Default Re: What does flashing engine light mean?

A flashing engine light means the engine is doing something abnormal, but it hasn't happened enough to turn the light 'solid.' Could indicate something like cylinder misfires (commonly caused by a bad 'coil pack' in this model). There should be code info saved which can be read by a scanner (AutoZone will let you read the codes at no charge). This has nothing to do with the maintenance minder, which is a separate light.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

You can't go to Autozone and get a free scan anymore. At least in CA, I tried about a month ago. The counter guy said they got sued bc of it and now no longer do free scans. Bummer. When my cylinder misfired the check engine light went solid, not flashing. I think flashing is more of a major problem, solid light is not as bad. Don't drive it until you get it scanned! Could be doing more harm. You never know. Maybe it's the CVT Tranny, if you haven't gotten it fixed.

4. Default Re: What does flashing engine light mean?

A Solid Malifunction Indicator Lamp (check engine light) means that there is a problem with the vehicle that should be checked out soon. When the light is flashing it means that therre is something that needs to be checked IMMEDIATELY. It usually is something to do with a misfire. It means that by driving you could cause irreverseable damage to the vehicle.

I see you are in Utah. You can still go to a parts house here and have the code pulled or bring it by my dealership and I can have it pulled for you. However, since it is usually a misfire it will take a little bit of time to diagnose what is causing the problem exactly. Feel free to PM if you have more questions or want to know where we are located.

The CVT transmission could very well be the culprit on your 2002. See the "sticky" thread "2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder" at the top of this Honda forum. But by all means avoid driving the vehicle and get it to any Honda dealer in Utah ASAP -- they are all trained on the Civic GX now. I would take up mharmon's offer, click on his name to send him a Private Message.

6. Default Re: What does flashing engine light mean?

Straight out of the Honda Civic service manual (Page 11-167): "If misfiring strong enough to damage the catalyst is detected, the MIL will blink during the time of its occurrence , and DTC P0301, PO302, PO303 or PO304 will be stored. Then, after the misfire has ceased, the MIL will come on."

In other words: If it is flashing, don't drive it until you figure out what is up with the misfire or you will toast your Catalytic Converter.

That's what I said. LOL!

I have had it happen 2 times and both were a fuel injector were bad. They are expensive! I noticed the car run rough immediately.

Under OBD II engine computer protocol, which Honda uses, the flashing check engine light (MIL) means you have as system malfunction that will damage the catalytic converter. It would be wise to get it to a good shop and have the codes pulled and the problem(s) repaired as soon as possible. The less driving the better.

Larrycng