Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OREGON fuel in Medford Roseburg Eugene Salem Tualatin Portland

Default Re: OREGON fuel in Medford Roseburg Eugene Salem Tualatin Portland

The 26 Sep 2011 natural gas vehicle road trip across Oregon (a favorite region due to the lack of public fueling) using a 2004 Honda Civic GX showed a ten percent improvement in fuel economy using the Bridgestone B381 tire. This is in comparison to the same trip in 2009 using the Goodyear Integrity tire (which is standard on Prius hybrids.)

Distance of the run and the pressure drop in the fuel tank measured were:
    215 miles 2160psi Chico - Medford (Siskiyou summit 4310)
    216 1900 Medford - Salem (
    190 2000 Salem - Seattle

The 2009 trip had 200 psi less in the fuel tank when reaching Salem from Medford. An oil filled tank pressure gage installed by AFTech Huntington Beach CA was used for test measurements. Cruise control was set at 60 mph for all runs. RPM was held to below 3000 when climbing mountain passes, sometimes bringing speed down to 40mph (just like the big rigs.) Tires on both trips were inflated to 41 psi to allow road heat to increase pressure to the 44 psi maximum. (1)

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has developed test practices to measure the Rolling resistance coefficient (RRC) of tires. The value of the RRC is the force divided by the wheel load. Using the tests (SAE J1269 and SAE J2452) most new passenger tires have reported RRCs ranging from 0.007 to 0.014. (1)

RRC
    0.0097 Goodyear Integrity P185/70/R14
    0.0062 Bridgestone B381 P185/70/R14

Trip was made possible due to CNG time-fill arrangements in the Oregon City area as well as using (public) fast fill stations in Chico, Medford, and Seatac.

Bill Stallman 510 479 5374

Low Rolling Resistance Tires:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=121
    http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/GREEN/REPORT...resistance.pdf

(1) http://www.energy.ca.gov/2006publica...0-2006-001.PDF
    For conventional passenger tires, an increase in inflation pressure from 24 to 29 pounds per square inch (psi) will reduce rolling resistance by 10 percent. For a tire inflated to pressures between 24 and 36 psi, each drop of 1 psi leads to a 1.4 percent increase in its rolling resistance...there is a long-standing rule of thumb that a 10 percent reduction in RRC will yield a 1 to 2 percent increase in vehicle fuel economy.

Default Huge SEATAC station under construction

Where have all the Pierce Transit buses gone?

An enormous CNG station is under construction next door to the Seatac CLEAN ENERGY station in WA. The three IMW compressors are in as of 3 Dec 2011. This is so big that is would appear the existing 4 dispenser station will be dismantled.

My guess is that CLEAN ENERGY will use the equipment to get Lakewood, WA back in operation for Pierce Transit, or possibly move the stuff to Brooklake Rd NE Keizer OR (Salem) for the PILOT truck stop CLEAN ENERGY station opening third quarter 2012. The Salem date I have from first hand conversation with the engineer in Seal Beach, CA.

On this 1-5 Dec 2011 road trip in a 2004 GX roundtrip from Oakland CA to Seattle WA I did not see any Pierce Transit buses fueling at Seatac midday on Saturday/Sunday as I had during my September solo test drive. They were lined up three deep at 10pm on my previous trip to Seatac.

It will be simple to cross Oregon once fueling is available in Salem. I had the rare opportunity, this time, to top off my tank (after getting a 3000 psi time-fill at a residence in Oregon City near Portland the previous night) in Salem at ODOT (please don't try this -- they do not give public fills!) I only mention this because I was able to suspend my slow speed driving/high pressure tire methods and drive (may I admit to this) 75 mph in the last two hours of the drive to Medford to arrive before Jackson County Motorpool station closed at 5pm. I fueled twice more in Chico and Vacaville before arriving home at midnight. I carried chains but didn't need them (Siskiyou summit.)

A last point, here. The GX manual says not to use chains. But a low profile chain is sold at http://scc-chain dot com The Super Z6 SZ119 is made for 185/65R14 tires. The low rolling resistance tires I run on come in both the HONDA recommended size for the GX, P185/70R14, as well as 185/65R14. I presently have the "70" and the chains fit these, also.

The reason for the trip was so my wife could bake Christmas bread with her family in Seattle. But, then again, who needs a reason to help use up the glut of natural gas in North America.

Default Re: Huge SEATAC station under construction

Wow 330mileclub, you are a brave soul to keep running up I-15 in your Civic GX as you do
    That is great news about the Salem OR CNG station coming on line next year

Default Will Oregon's Gov. Kitzhaber share former Gov. Kulongoski's push for CNG?

http://www.roguevalleycleancities.or...g_final_report[1].pdf

This Clean Cities report was published Jan 2010 as former Gov. Kulongoski's term ended.
    page 51

From the Medford region north, there is not any infrastructure until Springfield near Eugene. The Springfield facility is part of the state of Oregonís Department of Administrative Services (DAS) Motor Pool. The motor pool was shut down due to budget cuts recently, however the fueling systems are still operational and OSU is renting the facility for its motor pool needs. Salem has two compressor stations, one at the DAS Motor Pool and the other at the Salem Keizer Transit Districts facility. The state facility is closed to public refueling by statute.

Recommendations
    ...Support Oregonís existing Business Energy Tax Credit and Residential Energy Tax Credit programs to continue to provide important incentives for natural gas vehicles and infrastructure.

...Open state, public and utility CNG dispensers to the general public for purchase of CNG until adequate private investment is made. (*)

(*) In the month following this report prepared for the Governor, the State of Oregon Legislature HB 3676, adopted 5 Feb 2010(1A), Section 10 said that Oregon Department of Administrative Services (DAS) may implement a program to sell compressed natural gas to private entities." DAS subsequently implemented the law for only a single customer -- the Daimler Freightliner truck plant on Swan Island in Portland for their CNG tractor trailer rigs.

Default Re: Will Oregon's Gov. Kitzhaber share former Gov. Kulongoski's push for CNG?

Link was corrupted during posting. Substitute "." for "dot" two places below and cut/paste string into browser:

http://www

dot roguevalleycleancities.org/images/news.html/February%20Newsletter/afviwg_final_report[1] dot pdf

Default Rogue Disposal and Recycling 2012 MAC tractor arrived Jan 2012

http://www.roguevalleycleancities.or...Newsletter.pdf

CNG garbage truck will roll into downtown soon

Rogue Valley CCC Nov 2011 Newsletter
    A natural gas-powered garbage truck will soon be picking up trash in downtown Medford. Rogue Disposal and Recycling ordered a 2012 MAC tractor with an ISL G Cummins Engine.

The Mac truck will be shipped to the factory in Canada for the uplift of the 40-cubic yard, Wittke front-load body made by Labrie Environmental Group. It will have four, 15-gallon equivalent certified CNG tanks. The truck is expected to hit the downtown Medford streets in January. Wendell Smith of Rogue Disposal and Recycling will talk about the CNG vehicle during the alternative fuel forum at noon Tuesday November 29 at Rogue Valley Transportation District.

The Rogue Valley Clean Cities Coalition event is open to the public. Rogue Disposal brought a demo CNG truck to the fleet conference sponsored by Rogue Valley Clean Cities Coalition last June

The 2012 fleet conference is set for Jackson County Public Works Auditorium, 200 Antelope Road, White City, Oregon June 27 2012 from 10 am to 1 pm. Contact Mike Quilty, Clean Cities fleet manager, 541-621-4853

Hello Bill,
    I just found this site after having several call asking if SAMTD could fuel public vehicles. Unfortunately we are unable to do so because we have no way to bill, pay or pipe the CNG to a public access point. The lack of public fueling stations is much like the chicken and the egg scenario. There is little demand because there is little supply (public access). In the past I had been having discussions with CleanEnergies about partnering with SAMTD to provide public access but they have not deemed it profitable enough.
    I would be more than willing to listen to other ideas.

Gregg Thompson

Hello Gregg and welcome to CNGchat!
    I grew up in Salem and have many fond memories of riding the "Cherriot" buses. Our family, lived next to one of may cherry orchards found in the city - hence the name of your transit agency

If you could provide an estimate of what it would cost to trench outside the gate to provide a public card reader and dispenser I should imagine there could be grant funds made available from DOE Clean Cities or other organizations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12