Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Civic GX won't start; $7000 repair

Default Re: Civic GX won't start; $7000 repair

Quote Originally Posted by kuykendallc View Post
    So did Honda replace your solenoid under warranty? I would hope so.
    Still in the shop awaiting approval and parts. I should get it back in a week or two. The repair is under warranty, this time.

Quote Originally Posted by raskell View Post
    Still in the shop awaiting approval and parts. I should get it back in a week or two. The repair is under warranty, this time.
    After only a week, the new tank has arrived at the dealership. Repairs begin today and it looks like I will get my GX back on the road this week!

3. Default Re: Civic GX won't start; $7000 repair

Those of you who have a similar problem please let me know because the issue is currently being investigated by the defective parts division of the DOT. Let me know or you can contact them directly at (888) 327-4236 , TTY: (800) 424-9153.

4. Default Re: Civic GX won't start; $7000 repair

Sounds like recall time
    Mario
    AAA CNG SYSTEMS
    CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by danaman View Post
    Those of you who have a similar problem please let me know because the issue is currently being investigated by the defective parts division of the DOT. Let me know or you can contact them directly at (888) 327-4236 , TTY: (800) 424-9153.
    My GX packed it in again this morning after only 7 fills, 1000 miles and 26 GGE. Same symptoms on the replacement tank as on the OEM tank. More to follow once the shop gets it diagnosed (again). (This is brutal)
    Last edited by raskell; 11-12-2009 at 06:26 AM.

If the vehicle is under warrante I would check with state consumer office if there is "Lemon Law" and what are its provisions. Is the dealer providing a rental car?

As far as DOT/NHTSA, depending on the percentage of vehicle failures, in my opinion, this could be considered a safety related.

Just a couple of thoughts

Larrycng

Quote Originally Posted by larrycng View Post
    If the vehicle is under warrante I would check with state consumer office if there is "Lemon Law" and what are its provisions. Is the dealer providing a rental car?

As far as DOT/NHTSA, depending on the percentage of vehicle failures, in my opinion, this could be considered a safety related.

Just a couple of thoughts

Larrycng
    Per the Ohio Lemon Law:

MANUFACTURER’S DUTY TO REPAIR
    If a vehicle does not conform to the manufacturer’s written new vehicle warranty and the consumer reports the nonconformity to the manufacturer, its agent or authorized dealer during the period of one year following the date of original delivery or during the first 18,000 miles of operation – whichever is earlier – the manufacturer, its agent or authorized dealer must make any repairs necessary to conform the vehicle to the warranty. Repairs must be made even after the expiration of the one year or 18,000 mile period.

Due to the uniqueness of the Civic GX, I would need to pursue an exemption on the 18000 mile limitation which is historically based on conventional (gasoline) vehicles. My car was just ove 31K, but still within the first year after purchase. If this was deemed a 'Safety' risk then it could be covered

"4. There has been at least one attempt to repair a nonconformity that results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven, and the nonconformity either continues to exist or recurs."

However since the tank "fails-safe" this would also be a stretch unless it could be considered if the tank fails during driving at highway speeds and there is a loss of power for braking and steering as there would be in such a case. Both failures occurred within a few hundred feet from my driveway where I refill.

It is still under warranty and the dealer did provide a rental car last time and has offered one again this time.
    Last edited by raskell; 11-12-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Default Re: Civic GX won't start; $7000 repair Bad News Again

All signs point to another failed in-tank solenoid, this time less than two weeks after replacing the OEM tank.

9. Default Re: Civic GX won't start; $7000 repair

The GFI tank valve is a problem we have had about 3 go bad. I have 1 used ones if any one needs them. We also have removed the solenoid valve in the tanks and installed a inline valve just as the tubing goes under the car. this is a simple repair that last forever.

We have had a fuel pump relay go bad as well. Check that too.

Honda will not sell you a valve by itself and GFI will not sell it to you either. Honda had a few changes made so a stock GFI will not work.

The work on the tank should only be done by a qualified Tech that understands the Honda fuel system. Any time you get a chance or have a failure Jump on Honda about this, I do.

Tom Sewell
    TGT\918 665 2641

10. Default Re: Civic GX won't start; $7000 repair

GFI knows about this I spoke to them, I cant believe Honda does not know about the problem. They put this same valve in new cars today. The coil fails on the valve then it starts blowing fuses or makes the fuelpump relay go out.

GM and Ford have the same issue when they use this valve.

Tom Sewell
    TGT

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast