Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Calif Legislation to follow

Default Re: Calif Legislation to follow

Curtis,

So to be clear are all of the existing Hybrids going to be kicked out of the HOV lanes starting July 1?

If so I'm wondering if the good Captain can get us a letter from the DMV stating that CNG and the other alternative fuel vehicles are still allowed in the HOV lanes. We both know that we going to find CHP officers that won't know the difference and try to ticket us.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    Curtis,

So to be clear are all of the existing Hybrids going to be kicked out of the HOV lanes starting July 1?

If so I'm wondering if the good Captain can get us a letter from the DMV stating that CNG and the other alternative fuel vehicles are still allowed in the HOV lanes. We both know that we going to find CHP officers that won't know the difference and try to ticket us.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

Should pretty much address that.
    Aloha,
    Jeff

Blog Entries

All,
    As you may know, there are currently two bills that have been introduced in California – AB 8 and SB 11 – that would extend the sunset dates on California’s clean transportation incentive programs until 2023. Collectively, these three programs – AB 118, Carl Moyer, and AB 923 – would provide more than $2 billion in clean air and transportation funding in California between 2015 and 2023. You are on this list because you are either a supporter of the bills this year, or because you supported an identical effort last fall that fell just short of passage out of the legislature.

I just want to provide a quick update on where things stand. We have a large and growing list of supporters, which is important and exciting. We are also realistic and realize this is going to be a tough fight. We expected to have our first “test” on Monday with a hearing in the Assembly Transportation committee, but the hearing has been delayed until March, so don’t be surprised when you don’t hear from me on Monday with good news about getting out of the first committee. We are simply looking at this as an opportunity to build our case and add to our coalition.

Most of you have already confirmed your support for this effort and either sent in letters or signed on to our group letter. For those that have not yet sent in your support letters, we would love to hear from you. I am happy to answer any questions that anyone may have on the programs being reauthorized, the bills themselves, or anything else related to this effort.

Thank you, and have a great weekend.

Jamie Hall
    Policy Director
    CALSTART
    626-744-5606

Curtis Martin
    Program Coordinator
    Antelope Valley Clean Cities Coalition
    Cell # 661-492-5916

Blog Entries

I am writing to provide a quick update on two California bills – AB 8 (Perea and Skinner) and SB 11 (Pavley) – that would extend the sunset dates on the state’s clean transportation incentive programs until 2023. Collectively, these three programs – AB 118, Carl Moyer, and AB 923 – would provide more than $2 billion in clean air and transportation funding in California between 2015 and 2023. You are on this list as an active or potential supporter of this effort.

While it may look from the outside like there has been little real movement on this effort in the past several weeks, things are happening. We are actively working to educate key legislators and staffers in Sacramento and are really working to build up our supporting coalition at this time. We now know that both the Senate and Assembly bills will be heard in their first policy committees in early April. You may have also read about the fact that Senator Rubio, who was a co-author on SB 11, has left the legislature for a new job. This caught everyone by surprise but it does not in any way mean we are slowing down or changing course on our support for Senator Pavley’s SB 11.

Most of you have already confirmed your support for this effort and either sent in letters or signed on to our group letter. For those that have not confirmed support, we would love to hear from you. I have pasted in our group letter below and I encourage you to either sign onto this or send in something of your own by COB next Wednesday, March 20th. Many of you have also let me know that you are ready and willing to step up your involvement on this effort by providing us with anecdotal evidence supporting the need for these programs, placing calls to legislators, identifying additional supporters, etc. We really appreciate the help and I encourage anyone who is willing to help out to contact me so that we can discuss.

I am happy to answer any questions that anyone may have on the programs being reauthorized, the bills themselves, or anything else related to this effort.

In related news, there are several other relevant bills and proceedings moving forward in California at this time, including discussions around the use of revenues from California’s AB 32 greenhouse gas cap and trade program and bills on topics such as carpool lane access for clean vehicles, zero emission vehicle infrastructure and clean vehicle sales taxes and registration fees. We are actively engaged on all of these fronts and encourage you to get involved.

Thank you, and have a great weekend.

Jamie Hall
    Policy Director
    CALSTART
    626-744-5606

GROUP LETTER – LET ME KNOW BY COB ON WEDNESDAY MARCH 20TH IF YOU WANT TO SIGN ON.
    Dear Senator Pavley and Assembly Members Perea and Skinner:

The clean transportation businesses and organizations listed below wish to express strong support for SB 11 (Pavley and Rubio) and AB 8 (Perea and Skinner) which would extend the sunset date on vitally important air quality and clean transportation technology investment programs. The extension of these programs would ensure continued investment in a cleaner transportation future, improve air quality, and create jobs.

These programs, the Carl Moyer program with the AB 923 enhancements and the AB 118 suite of clean air and transportation programs, are critical to helping achieve the state’s air quality and clean transportation targets. AB 118 created three important programs – the Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program at the Energy Commission, the Air Quality Improvement Program at the Air Resources Board, and the Enhanced Fleet Modernization Program at the Bureau of Automotive Repair. These programs provide immediate emission reductions and reduces the cost of advanced technologies by supporting increased manufacturing and economies of scale, positioning California at the forefront of advanced clean technology. This program has helped companies make the business case to operate in California and to develop and deploy new cutting-edge advanced transportation solutions. The Carl Moyer and AB 923 funds help truck fleets, agricultural users, and others to purchase cleaner medium and heavy duty vehicle technologies, providing emissions benefits that go beyond what is required under state regulations.

Currently, the AB 923 enhancements to the Carl Moyer program are scheduled to expire at the end of 2014 and the AB 118 programs are set to expire at the end of 2015. The expiration of these programs within a year of each other would have a negative impact on the deployment of cleaner vehicles throughout the state. Without these programs to help facilitate vehicle deployment and market penetration, California will miss a significant opportunity to make real gains in improved air quality, clean vehicle adoption, and GHG emission reductions.

These bills are an important opportunity to invest in critical clean transportation and air quality programs for California. We stand ready to help you pass these important measures.

Sincerely,
    (names, titles, and logos will be pasted in below – if you want to sign on, please send me this info)

Curtis Martin
    Program Coordinator
    Cell # 661-492-5916

Blog Entries

All,

We cleared our first hurdle today in our efforts to extend clean transportation incentive funding in California. Senate Bill 11 (Pavley) passed out of the Senate Environmental Quality Committee with bipartisan support on a 8-1 vote. Republican Senator Jean Fuller joined all 7 Democratic Senators on the committee (Pavley, Hill, Calderon, Corbett, Hancock, Jackson, and Leno) in supporting the bill.

Senator Pavley opened the discussion and spoke about the need to extend these programs, focusing on air quality and jobs. She was followed by the three sponsoring organizations: CALSTART, American Lung Association in California, and CAPCOA. We then had a very strong showing of support from industry, agriculture, public health, and environmental groups – thank you to everyone who showed up to voice your support. The depth and diversity of this coalition is very impressive.

There will be some minor technical clarifying amendments around the rules governing the expenditure of funds for hydrogen infrastructure, but the substance of the bill remains the same and we are moving forward. The next stop for this bill will be the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee next Tuesday, April 9th.

In the Assembly, the identical Assembly Bill 8 (Perea and Skinner) will have its first policy committee hearing next Monday April 8th in the Environmental Quality committee.

We appreciate the support to date and want to thank all of you who have confirmed your support and/or helped out with data and anecdotal evidence supporting the need for these programs. I encourage anyone who has not yet engaged to contact me with any questions or offers of support. We have a very long way to go on this effort and will need all the help we can get.

Thank you, and stay tuned…

Jamie Hall
    Policy Director
    CALSTART
    626-744-5606

Curtis Martin
    Program Coordinator
    Cell # 661-492-5916

Blog Entries

All,
    I am writing today to provide a quick update on the two bills that would extend California’s incentive funding for clean transportation – AB 8 (Perea and Skinner) and SB 11 (Pavley and Cannella).

AB 8 passed out of the Assembly Natural Resources Committee yesterday afternoon on a 6 to 2 vote with 1 member abstaining. We once again had a long and impressive group of organizations voicing support. The bill, with several minor amendments, now moves on to the Assembly Appropriations committee. In order to keep moving forward, AB 8 must pass out of this committee no later than May 24th, and must pass out of the Assembly and over to the Senate no later than May 31.

As previously noted, SB 11 is in a similar position. That bill passed out of its final Senate policy committee on April 9th, must pass out of Senate Appropriations no later than May 24th, and must then pass off the Senate floor and over to the Assembly no later than May 31.

We are in a critical period now with possible Assembly and Senate floor votes looming, and are continuing to gather support. We may reach out to you soon to see if you would be willing to place a call to your representative to help us keep these important bills moving forward.

Thanks again for your engagement to date. Stay tuned...

Jamie Hall
    Policy Director
    CALSTART
    626-744-5606

Curtis Martin
    Program Coordinator
    Cell # 661-492-5916

Blog Entries

CA incentive funding legislation - key votes this week / need outreach
    Sent: Tue, May 28, 2013 05:24 PM

All,

I want to provide a quick update on where we stand with Senate Bill 11 and Assembly Bill 8, the two California bills that would extend clean transportation incentive programs (AB 118 and Carl Moyer) through 2023. These bills would provide more than $2 billion in clean air and transportation funding in California between 2015 and 2023.

Both of these bills will be taken up for votes this week in their respective houses. If you feel comfortable reaching out to Senators and/or Assembly Members in Sacramento to ask for their votes on these bills, now is the time to place these calls.

Both bills have been amended somewhat since they were introduced, but the intent and dollar amounts remain the same. For those who are interested in the details, I have provided more info at the end of this email.

Thanks for your engagement to date and I will keep you all in the loop as things move forward. This is an exciting time for this effort, but we still have a long way to go and we could certainly use your help with targeted phone calls.

-------
    AMENDMENT SUMMARY
    I’ve been delaying this email until I could see and understand the amendments, which are summarized below. We expect the bills to be amended such that all amendments are included in both bills. Again – the goals, intent, and funding amounts remain the same. Let me know if any of these amendments cause concern for you. The large coalition working these bills on a day-to-day basis remains committed and does not see these as deal-breakers, but rather as part of the often messy legislative proceedure

METRICS: Inclusion of language around cost-effectiveness metrics for investment decisions in the AB 118 program. (SB 11)

· LIGHT DUTY REBATES: Requirement that the consumer rebates for light duty vehicles may not be larger than any consumer compensations given under the EFMP scrappage program. Our understanding is that this is intended to focus on the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program incentives for plug-in and zero emission vehicles. (SB 11)

· HYDROGEN: Inclusion of information and requirements on hydrogen infrastructure planning/synchronization with vehicle roll-out (SB 11) / Strategic plan for location of hydrogen stations that balances maximum user accessibility and cost-effectiveness (AB 8)

· REPORTS and FINDINGS/DECLARATIONS: Deletion of some alternative fuel and alternative fuels findings and declarations, as well as some reporting requirements for the Energy Commission (SB 11)

· OTHER: Extension of tire recycling program (funded through tire fees like Moyer program, was also included in SB 1455 last year) / Technical amendments (removing outdated dates, updating names of agencies, clarifying points about how these programs interact with existing law, etc.)

Thanks,

Jamie Hall
    Policy Director
    CALSTART
    626-744-5606

Curtis Martin
    Program Coordinator
    Cell # 661-492-5916

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    CA incentive funding legislation - key votes this week / need outreach
    Sent: Tue, May 28, 2013 05:24 PM

All,

I want to provide a quick update on where we stand with Senate Bill 11 and Assembly Bill 8, the two California bills that would extend clean transportation incentive programs (AB 118 and Carl Moyer) through 2023. These bills would provide more than $2 billion in clean air and transportation funding in California between 2015 and 2023.

Both of these bills will be taken up for votes this week in their respective houses. If you feel comfortable reaching out to Senators and/or Assembly Members in Sacramento to ask for their votes on these bills, now is the time to place these calls.

Both bills have been amended somewhat since they were introduced, but the intent and dollar amounts remain the same. For those who are interested in the details, I have provided more info at the end of this email.

Thanks for your engagement to date and I will keep you all in the loop as things move forward. This is an exciting time for this effort, but we still have a long way to go and we could certainly use your help with targeted phone calls.

-------
    AMENDMENT SUMMARY
    I’ve been delaying this email until I could see and understand the amendments, which are summarized below. We expect the bills to be amended such that all amendments are included in both bills. Again – the goals, intent, and funding amounts remain the same. Let me know if any of these amendments cause concern for you. The large coalition working these bills on a day-to-day basis remains committed and does not see these as deal-breakers, but rather as part of the often messy legislative proceedure

METRICS: Inclusion of language around cost-effectiveness metrics for investment decisions in the AB 118 program. (SB 11)

· LIGHT DUTY REBATES: Requirement that the consumer rebates for light duty vehicles may not be larger than any consumer compensations given under the EFMP scrappage program. Our understanding is that this is intended to focus on the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program incentives for plug-in and zero emission vehicles. (SB 11)

· HYDROGEN: Inclusion of information and requirements on hydrogen infrastructure planning/synchronization with vehicle roll-out (SB 11) / Strategic plan for location of hydrogen stations that balances maximum user accessibility and cost-effectiveness (AB 8)

· REPORTS and FINDINGS/DECLARATIONS: Deletion of some alternative fuel and alternative fuels findings and declarations, as well as some reporting requirements for the Energy Commission (SB 11)

· OTHER: Extension of tire recycling program (funded through tire fees like Moyer program, was also included in SB 1455 last year) / Technical amendments (removing outdated dates, updating names of agencies, clarifying points about how these programs interact with existing law, etc.)

Thanks,

Jamie Hall
    Policy Director
    CALSTART
    626-744-5606
    I actually feel the government incentives do NOT help the expansion of CNG as much as the government regulations prevent its expansion. I know, curtis, being a seller of new vehicles, you are a direct beneficiary of government incentives, however, if CARB would relax it's requirements for conversion at least down to EPA levels, you'd see a massive uptick in conversions, with far greater numbers than the extra civics the incentives push to the consumer. I don't feel the state HAS the $2 billion to spend in this area.
    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

CARB is finally making headway into relaxing the requirements:
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/...ltfuelconv.htm

Sometime when I get an hour or so I will write up my take on the proposals. Believe it or not, some proposed changes would make things easier than the EPA requirements for converters. But overall it is still overly complex and time consuming vs. EPA.

Blog Entries

All,
    Just a quick heads up that Senate Bill 11 got out of the Senate with a bipartisan 32-5 vote. Assembly Bill 8 will be taken up tomorrow.
    I will keep you updated as we move forward with these important bills to extend transportation incentive funding in California.
    Jamie

Curtis Martin
    Program Coordinator
    Cell # 661-492-5916

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast