Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do I do when my tanks EXPIRE!

Default Re: What do I do when my tanks EXPIRE!

I would drive the vehicle until it gets down to a quarter tank on the fuel gauge then have the remaining gas vented in the proper and safe manner. The tanks will then be safe to remove. The tanks are probably PST (Press Steel Tanks) and are heavy. The ones outside are the easiest to remove. The inside tanks are a bit more difficult. Check the file on this web site, there is a copy of the Crown Vic CNG publication that will give you an idea of how the thing is put together. It is best to have a professional do it.

Why not run the vehicle until about a month until the tanks expire? In the mean while look around for some newer tanks and have them installed.

It sounds like you got a nice car. Converting it to gasoline will cost some big bucks (gas tank, fuel lines, injectors, necessary changes to the wiring, replacement of the EEC V computer and probably re-programing). Then you may have to run premium fuel because of the 10:1 compression.

Hope this helps

Larrycng

2. Default Re: What do I do when my tanks EXPIRE!

Thank you Larrycng for the detailed information. I would really like to have a pro take these cylinders out. I live in the Portland Oregon area, could you point me to someone in this area?
    Thank you
    Steve

could he put a propane tank in and a vaperiser and tie in to the low pressure line and run it on propane as there is no cng where he is and then the high compression would not be a problem and it would still be a clean air car or would the higher btu be a problem or would the o2 and the computer pick up the differance and ajust the mix? just my thoughts

I have a couple of ideas on tank removal. I'm looking for some phone numbers, give me a PM and I will give you the names and numbers.

As for Cowboy's comment, that is a possibility. The compression would be ideal for LP and the O2 would be no problem. The injector flow rate would probably be too high and throw off the fuel trim numbers. and possible tripping the check engine light giving you problem with DEQ. Also the pressure sensors would have to be tweeked since the gaseous LP would be at lower pressures which would drive the injector pw higher and again would throw a check engine light because of fuel trim and low pressure. It would be an interesting project and you wouldn't have to do much with the wiring.

Larrycng

I have been thinking again so get feared why cant the expired tanks be checked for damage and re rated for say 2000 psi and change the filler this should give a good margin of safety and say 5 or ten more years and move the car to local use say for moma to go to the store or you to the parts store kinda like when we were kids moma got dads old car

6. Default Re: What do I do when my tanks EXPIRE!

Interesting idea, but where would you get a 2000 psi fill? I only see 3000/3600 options. Now, not meaning to open an old can of worms, and i read through a lot of old threads on the subject even on this board, but what I still don't get is that my understanding is the most stress and wear comes from the fill/empty cycle and that 15 years was a bit arbitrary. If that is the case, how do taxis run these things for over half a million miles with no incident? I have heard that some of the Super Shuttles went over a million miles.

good question on the fill. how about we install a regulater that is set at 2000 lbs in the fill line of the car and not change the fill fiting than one could fill at 3000 or 3600 but only get a 2000 fill to the tanks and we could do this to the 3000 cars also and than they could fill at 3600 pump or could we come up with a onboard temp compensater that could be set for the 2000 or 3000 limit?

cngacrossusa Guest

Hey Steverinomeister of Portland, OR . . . . I'd sure recommend getting your own Fuelmaker rather than wasting money tearing down a perfectly good working dedicated cng vehicle!! Further, with the massive trunk of the Crown Vic, you could easily put some other current cng tank in there. Watch CL listings for a tank bargain, and ask a guru here on cngchat where to get closest tech to swap out the cng tank. CNG folks in Utah find ways to get new cng tanks as well.

Best case scenario, I'm guessing a used tank could be found for $500 to $750 in the 9 gge size range, and add another $500 for installation and your dedicated Crown Vic with only 26,000 miles is good to go for another 300,000 or 400,000 miles!!! Buy yourself a used C3 for FM4 Fuelmaker for $2,500 to $4,000 and you've got a commuter car for the rest of your lifetime!!! Sure beats throwing away money on a stinking Prius!!

Worst case scenario, just sell it to cng supporter who will do what it takes to save the car if you won't . . . . do Not tear it down, that'd be such a waste.

What is the average life span of these tanks? Do they expire 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, or longer?

cngacrossusa Guest

Tanks typically had 15-year lives stamped on their labels . . . thus a 98 Civic GX or bi-Fuel Ford pickup would have tank with expiration dates printed on the tank label saying like Expires Sept 2013. Older cng vehicles like Dodge vans from early 90's (let's say a 1992 Dodge) would have tank label saying Expires Oct 2007.

FYI to Steven86 in Houston . . . there are also different "Types" of tanks ranging from Type 1 (steel) to Type 4 (full composite). Many old school cng guys feel that Type 1 steel tanks (when installed and taken care of properly) likely could have much longer life than stated 15 years . . . . reason being is that DOT bottles (typically 6 gge) that are used for storage in some public cng stations (ie bunch of bottles daisy-chained together) can have lives longer than 15 years if they are inspected and repainted to gain an additional 5 years at a time.

However, recent tank manufacturing techniques are getting better and better and now vehicle installed tanks generally have 20-year life stamped on the tank label for all types (1 through 4).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast