Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where/how to replace bad presure regulator {1996 Dodge RAM 1500 CNG}

Default Re: Where/how to replace bad presure regulator {1996 Dodge RAM 1500 CNG}

They will run hot. See if there is a current rating on the coil housing. When the coil is cool check resistance using a good ohm meter -- then do the math with ohm's law. Remember resistance increases as the coil gets hotter and reduces current flow

If they are close you are ok. Remember system voltage is 13.5 to 14v.

larrycng

2. Default Re: Where/how to replace bad presure regulator {1996 Dodge RAM 1500 CNG}

i 'm quite happy because i found some good info ..

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkxNzGg...e%2520info.pdf

I fix the link .. sorry to those who intended to view the file and couldn't do It.

this is a Chrysler manual for the ram 97, it gives you details about the cng system go to the bottom of pdf document

The good part i didn't know where the regulator's filter was located and this service manual shows it clearly yupi!
    Last edited by madrugon; 10-29-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: bad link

Default Re: Where/how to replace bad presure regulator {1996 Dodge RAM 1500 CNG}

Ok right now on my 350 small block from a impco HPR3600 i am running 85 psi. it is adjustable. and it runs just fine why would you need it to be at higher pressure? would it help anything? maybe top end power? just thought it might help.

4. Default Re: Where/how to replace bad presure regulator {1996 Dodge RAM 1500 CNG}

I must say that cleaning the filter (which is located right at the entrance of the high pressure port ) has made a difference... Nevertheless, happiness isn't everlasting though.
    At the time i had begun to feel proud of my work ....the engine stooped O shucks!
    I started It and lasted about 2 seconds before i had to re-start it again ... So went to fuses's box underneath the hood and move relays around( ASD relay ) besides that I unplugged the Low Pressure Sensor in the fuel rail and walla!

It is running great knock on wood

I did an unorthodox modification to the water lines by adding 2 ball valves that eventually will facilate removing regulator without the antifreeze mess associated with it . I forgot to mention because the lines were bad I replaced them both with an orange brided hose ( the ones used for air compressor and rated to 300 psi) Great fix!

Regarding the Impco HPR 3600..It looks it will be a good substitute.... The GFI regulator that came with this dodge says 120 psi nominal outlet pressure while the Impco's manual states 150 +- 20psi
    I wonder if a higher pressure will harm injectors? I doubt it..
    Volume capacity seems to be about right..
    Brodri,
    I saw you have one for sale.... is it new ? and at what price would you sell it for?

Does anyone know about the ASD relay implications with the transmission .. I've noticed that when the problem gets worse the best thing is: to shift to neutral gear and then try to start it ..
    My guess is the asd relay blocks the current flow to solenoid high pressure valve, other possibility would be the solenoid HPV is going bad intermittently
    Anybody knows better?

Cleaning of Injectors and complete tune-up was performed last month!

Regards Josh
    Last edited by madrugon; 10-27-2008 at 07:54 PM.

The higher pressure shouldn't harm the injectors. You may get a check engine light for fuel trim out of range. With the higher pressure the fuel trim will go to minus side indicating the system is subtracting time from the injector pulse width (leaning it out). The higher pressure is causeing more fuel to be delivered to the cylinder causing a rich mixture.

Those filters in the GFI regulator are not designed to be cleaned -- good going

Larrycng

6. Default Re: Where/how to replace bad presure regulator {1996 Dodge RAM 1500 CNG}

An update on my pressure regulator problem. I found a bad "O" ring on the cap that is sealing the unused port in the center of the regulator. i replaced the "O" ring and tightened the cap down (it was not tight) and everything seems to work fine now. It is indeed a GFI regulator with 3600 psi input and 120 psi output. I am happy now. Thanks for all of the responses!

the regulator i can sell is a hpr 3000, the 3600 is on my pickup. the regulator is not new and am going to test to see if it works on my own vehicle before i sell it. just for quality assurance. sorry for the confusion.

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this CNG thing as well. I bought one of the 1992 Dodge Ram 250 Cargo Vans from a local college and for the most part it has been a good buy. I've driven it many miles in a short time, 300 - 600 mile each week. A few months back I began to hear a rattle noise coming from under the van. And as time went by, it became louder more consistant. I finally had time to seek out the rattle. It is coming from the fuel pressure reducing regulator. There are signs of oil leakage in the area. I have been unable to find a replacement part. Is this something that can be fixed or does it need replaced. Is there anywhere I guy can get the part? Any suggestion would be greatly apriciated, 50 - 70 bucks a week certainly beats 70 - 100 bucks a week.

Forgot to mention, it is a 3000 psi system. Thanks.

Chrysler replacement regulator part number is 05189131AA, should be available through any Chrysler dealer.

You may have to utilize original inlet fitting from old unit as two different sizes were used in original production

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast