Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CNG Cylinder (tank) inspection

1. Exclamation CNG Cylinder (tank) inspection

How many of you are aware of the Federally mandated CNG Cylinder (tank) inspection requirements of NGV2-2000 and FMVSS 304?
    Every 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Did the folks you bought your vehicle from happen to mention this?

Default Re: CNG Cylinder (tank) inspection

If your vehicle was manufactured after 1996, the CNG tank external visual inspections should be listed in your vehicle maintenance schedule.

Ford's TSB 05-5-6 has more information about the tank inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz Guy View Post
    How many of you are aware of the Federally mandated CNG Cylinder (tank) inspection requirements of NGV2-2000 and FMVSS 304?
    Every 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Did the folks you bought your vehicle from happen to mention this?

It was in the manual for my GX. I just paid Norm Reeves about $148 and it seemed a little high.

How much does it cost to replace if it does not pass inspection?

Depends...

Type 1 (all steel/aluminum) cylinders in my van cost $200 ea. Type 4 (all composite) can go up to $1000-1500.

Each (Type 1, 2, 3 and 4) have advantages and disadvantages. It's interesting that as the number/type goes up, so does the price.

afvman

Silly question, but if one ignores the requirement to have their cylinders inspected (or runs them beyond their life expiration date), AND an event occured AND the owner survives the event, would they be liable for their neglect?

It would seem to me that these records would be at the top of the list if / when an insurance company or some lawyer became involved in an incident investigation.

I shut down our company vehicles when I learned the tank inspections were overdue. I had people very upset, but I could not take a chance having perfectly safe, yet uninspected, vehicled on the road. Fortunately, I was able to get the cylinders inspected in short order (not easy to do in a rural area on the East coast), and all issues were resolved.

Gaz Guy et al,

The cylinder inspection agency is currently CSA-America (the old AGA Labs) in Cleveland, OH. They've been working on a whole new exam and training program for inspectors. It's being released as we speak.

They're the best bet for qualified cylinder inspections. See:
    http://www.csa-america.org/advisory_...certification/

If I can help, let me know.

afvman/Bill
    Lancaster, OH

8. Default Re: CNG Cylinder (tank) inspection

Quote Originally Posted by afvman View Post
    Depends...

Type 1 (all steel/aluminum) cylinders in my van cost $200 ea. Type 4 (all composite) can go up to $1000-1500.

Each (Type 1, 2, 3 and 4) have advantages and disadvantages. It's interesting that as the number/type goes up, so does the price.

afvman
    Where can I get type 1 tanks?
    I'm in CA.
    What is good mfg. to look for.
    thanks.

Can anyone tell me what the service life is on the tank in a new Honda 09 GX? Is it 15 years from manufacture date or??
    Thanks!!

Class 1 is an all Steel or Aluminum tank, Class 2 is a Hoop wrapped steel or aluminum tank which means the center is wrapped in composite and the ends are exposed. Class 3 is aluminum or steel and completely wrapped in composite. class 4 is a total composite tank. Prices will vary depending on material, size, manufacturer and quality. I have heard of some very poor quality tanks available overseas (not sure they have been imported to the US) that are having high failure rates. We are installing Lincoln Composite Class 4 tanks in the trucks we are building. I believe they are a 12-15 gallon equivelant tank and are much more expensive than a lower class tank. I have not personally priced them myself but I have heard they can cost upwards of 6-7 thousand for a high quality class 4 of this size. Of course the smaller tanks wouldn't cost as much.

Regulations will vary from state to state. Oklahoma requires anyone that touches a CNG system to be state certified. The NGV 2 tanks typically are a 15 year lifespan although the latest tanks we received from Lincoln are 20 year tanks. I have no idea what the new honda is but it should be listed on a label nearby the filler or under the hood (or both).

If you don't have your tank inspected every 3yrs/36k miles, it likely depends on your state laws. Oklahoma does not have a policing agency so it's up to the owner to obey the regulations. Granted, there is nobody going to stop someone because they don't have the tank inspected but do you really want that liability? In the case that you might get in an accident, if a police officer were educated in CNG and noticed your tank was out of date or hadn't been inspected, your state may have fines or worse. Every issue I've heard from CNG was due to improper handling of the tank. You're dealing with 3600 psi in most cases, not worth the gamble. The "tank inspection" should actually include a total inspection of the system. From what I have seen, the industry standard to perform this thorough inspection is 3 hours.

Kyle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast