Hey gang, CNGchat needs your help!

For over a decade we have enjoyed providing this little corner of the Internet for folks to discuss all things natural gas vehicles. It is the largest forum of its kind: with some 70,000 posts on over 11,000 topics. But with continued low gasoline & diesel prices and strong automaker support for electric vehicles, consumer interest in CNG has dropped considerably, and with it has visitor traffic here. As a result, Google ad revenues no longer cover hosting fees.

If you find CNGchat to be a useful resource then please consider making a modest donation to support keeping this remarkable pool of knowledge available to the alternative fuels community. Thanks!

See more
See less

Newer Member 1st Post

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer Member 1st Post

Hello everyone!

I purchased a 2002 Chev Cavalier in August of 2008.(recieved my vehicle in November, 3 months after purchasing it from NY. Long story that I'm still not happy about) I am enjoying the lower cost of fuel and really appreciate the amount of support given through this site.

~I smelled a NG leak from the time I recieved the vehicle, I have isolated the leak to the small breather which is part of the LPR and diaphram.(I think thats what it is called) My normal car mechanic wants to replace the whole kit. Cost is $500 for the part. Can this be rebuilt? Also, I would like to start servicing the vehicle somewhere in Utah County by certified Natural Gas Mechanics. Any suggestions?

Re: Newer Member 1st Post

The diaphram in the LPR is cracked and/or leaking unforetunately GM does not sell just the diaphram you must replace the entire LPR. You can patch it with some silicon but I'm afraid it just won't get you very far. I used to have the part number for it, but no longer and I have no cavs on the lot right now. The GM part # will be on the LPR somewhere. Use it to order a new one from this site it will be the cheapest you'll find other than used. WWW.GMPARTSDIRECT.COM
    Last edited by CNG MOTORS; 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
    2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
    1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
    2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Welcome to the world of CNG...$500 is getting out easy.

I know that Impco makes a repair kit for the LPR. Alternative Fuel Systems, Inc. has it listed for $112. The part number is RK-PEV-2. This comes with the silicon diaphram. I have attached the price list from Alternative Fuel Systems, Inc. The part is listed on page 8.
        Attached Files
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier
        2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Thank you,

Wow! What quick responses and great input. I'll report back after I get the problem addressed.

We rebuild them here for $380.00 that comes with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. That seems to be the most common problem with the cavaliers. We also clean the mass gas sensor and flush the system while we are in there that is included.
            Lancer Automotive Group
            3687 South 300 West
            Salt Lake City UT 84115

Visit our Facebook pages