Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAQ - Questions about natural gas and the cars that run on it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FAQ - Questions about natural gas and the cars that run on it?

I just purchased a 20004 HONDA GX that has an auxiliary CNG tank in the trunk. In order to clean out a foul odor in the trunk, I turned a shut off valve located just behind the rear tire on the drivers side. I then proceeded to disconnect the tank from the fuel line and took the tank assembly out of the trunk. When I tried to start the car, it ran for a few seconds, then cut out. I towed the car to a filling station and proceeded to fill the tank, but the gas just ran straight through the open fuel line. Upon further inspection, I think that I shut off the valve to the main tank because it appears that the auxiliary tank is connected by a T fitting directly into the fuel line and there is no shut off valve for the auxiliary tank. My dilemna is 1) Can I cap off the auxiliary tank inlet, then fill up the main tank, 2) Have I done any damage to the CNG system by releasing the pressure and allowing air into the system, 3) The auxiliary tank expired in May 2010, do I need to replace the tank, or can it be reinspected for a few more years?

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no provision for extending the life of a CNG tank by inspection. The life limit is set by theoretical fatigue calculations and fatigue damage can not be undone, ever. You should be able to reconfigure your car to the OEM single tank state and keep driving that way. You may need to have an error code reset as I have read somewhere to never run the fuel lines all the way empty.
      '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
      (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Hey Curtis.

Can you guide me on how to open a up a CNG Filling station. What are my initial steps? who should i talk to start the ball rolling. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but i hope you will advice me something.

Thanks

Comment

Curtis i am very interested in your point of view on what is the possibility of finding a Used Honda GX 2006 and up at this time. Thank you for any response! i am new to this CNG business and any additional info would be wonderful. I am getting this vehicle not only because of the emissions but because i will have a 75 mile round trip drive everyday and i am a very frugal person.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by raskell View Post
            Unfortunately, there is no provision for extending the life of a CNG tank by inspection. The life limit is set by theoretical fatigue calculations and fatigue damage can not be undone, ever. You should be able to reconfigure your car to the OEM single tank state and keep driving that way. You may need to have an error code reset as I have read somewhere to never run the fuel lines all the way empty.
            This was not the case when I changed the fuel filters on my 07 Civic. The car idled for almost 2 minutes with the valve closed, then ran out. Changed filters, and re-opened the valve, and the car started. Nothing else was needed.. Just my $.02
            Chuck J

Who wants to see another 8th Gen Civic, anyway?
            Addicted to Unique Rides

Comment

I watched a YouTube video on how to change your high pressure fuel filter on a Honda GX. That's exactly how the video said to bleed off the pressure - turn off the valve by the rear wheel, start the engine and let it run till out of gas.
              David
              2012 Cool Mist Nat Gas Civic w/ navi

Comment

Working...
              X