Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAQ - Questions about natural gas and the cars that run on it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FAQ - Questions about natural gas and the cars that run on it?

Originally posted by Tarpin View Post
    Thanks for your answer. My question, however, is that it seems that all homes in Colorado have propane as their gas supply. A few Colorado residents have told me that what they have there is not natural gas (methane) like we have here, it is PROPANE. And according to Honda, the Civic GX will not run on anything but natural gas (methane).
    The good news is that you have substantial infrastructure along the 25 fwy North and South through the state. The center hub of the state shows the most stations, refer to www.cngprices.com. Outlying areas seem to be devoid of virtually any stations. I could see there being a lot of areas in the rural, or mountain regions of the state, where there would be little if any natural gas supplied to the homes.

I guess feasability, for you, would depend on where you live.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Tarpin View Post
      Thanks for your answer. My question, however, is that it seems that all homes in Colorado have propane as their gas supply. A few Colorado residents have told me that what they have there is not natural gas (methane) like we have here, it is PROPANE. And according to Honda, the Civic GX will not run on anything but natural gas (methane).
      Rural homes might have a propane tank on their property but only because natural gas pipes do not go out to their property. Suburban and city homes have natural gas. The local natural gas company is Xcel. I have a dead Phill installed (but waiting for my FMQ2-36) so not only do we have natural gas but it is of the quality deemed good enough for Fuelmaker to have a licensed installer (who is a very pleasant person to work with) in the north Denver metro area.

Comment

ON THIS ALT. FUEL SUBJECT I AM INTERESTED IN TRYING A LOW PRESSURE HHO TANK USEING ONE OF THE LOW PRESSURE DELIVERY SYSTEMS FOR A 460 FORD. I WOULD NEED APORTABLE PRESSURE PUMP THAT I COULD USE ON DC CURRENT. ANY SUGGESTIONS. DON (702) 496-2612 in las vegas

Comment

Originally posted by don cole View Post
          ON THIS ALT. FUEL SUBJECT I AM INTERESTED IN TRYING A LOW PRESSURE HHO TANK USEING ONE OF THE LOW PRESSURE DELIVERY SYSTEMS FOR A 460 FORD. I WOULD NEED APORTABLE PRESSURE PUMP THAT I COULD USE ON DC CURRENT. ANY SUGGESTIONS. DON (702) 496-2612 in las vegas

Out of the question. VERY bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by don cole View Post
            All this talk of HHO systems is rediculous. The only advantage to those systems is the money it provides to the people selling parts and plans for them. Also, not really on topic for this thread "FAQ - Questions about natural gas and the cars that run on it?"
            1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
            2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Thanks for policing the thread guys. Don, as the guys mentioned, you're in the wrong forum for this type of inquiry. There are a gillion of these Hydrogen generator kits and they've all but been debunked on TV.

We focus on a real fuel for the future, cng. Perhaps when you're done playing with what doesn't work... you'll take a serious look at what is working, natural gas vehicles. Also, stay on topic when posting to the forums. Were happy to answer questions when they are appropriate to the topic.

Comment

I have a f150 factory bi fuel, gas / propane. I want to convert to CNG. where do i get the conversion parts and information.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhorse06 View Post
                  I have a f150 factory bi fuel, gas / propane. I want to convert to CNG. where do i get the conversion parts and information.
                  Crazyhorse: You seem to want specific answers and have asked this identical question on four different threads. If you will spend some time researching on the forum, you will find the answers to your questions. I also think you will find that you should have a competent, certified installer do the work for you. The safety issues are very different between operating on LPG and on CNG, particularly because of the higher pressures involved in CNG.

Spend some time in the forums. You will find that there are many people here willing to provide answers to specific questions. However, we all appreciate it when the questioner asks questions after having made a reasonable attempt to see whether the topic has already been covered.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhorse06 View Post
                    Start with the main list of forums. You'll find one listed just before the Main Forum that says to "Read before posting questions on conversions". Then there's a ton of info, including the question you asked, in the conversions forum. There's also the search tool in the blue line with the calander, members list, etc. Please take a little time and do a bit of reading. If you can't locate the specific info you are searching for... post a specific question, ok? Welcome to the cngchat.

Comment

Is there a formula to figure out gge? I have a 2001 van that holds 220.5 liters at 3600 psi. What is the GGE?

Comment

I'd say about 18.7. I have a listing of tanks from SCI, the 210 litre is 17.8, the 230 litre is 19.7, so your capacity is right in the middle.
                        Generally you can take the volume in gallons and divide by 3.2. for 3600psi.
                        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Do you know if Honda is planning to offer any additional CNG vehicles - specifically the Odyssey? Is it possible to convert the 2009 Odyssey to CNG by independent converters? Thank you.

Comment

The Odyssey is not legally able to be converted to cng. There are no EPA approved conversion kits currently available for it, and no known plans to make it available in a cng variant in the foreseeable future. I don't think any other cng models will be available from Honda in the next in the next 3-4 years... sorry to say.

We would all like to see more options from Honda, as well as other manufacturers, but economics has a roll to play in decisions like this. Demand for cng vehicles has drastically dropped, right along with oil prices, as has always been the case.

People need to develop longer memories. I expect that oil prices may stay down for a while, but they'll eventually stabilize at about double where they are now. Additional offerings would entice more buyers to cng, buy only high gas prices seem to drive people to make the change.

Not surprisingly... most wonder why they waited so long to do so.

Comment

Hi Curt,

I'm in Utah and have a fuel filter question regarding a 2006 Civic GX I bought about 6 months ago. It had 42K miles and the previous owner filled it at home with a Phill unit. I fill almost always at newer stations which I assume have oil-less compressors. I just now got around to changing the filters at 48K, which the previous owner never did. The HP filter had absolutely nothing in it. It was dry and as clean as the new replacement filter so I left it in to save the new one for later. With the HP filter being so clean, do I need to worry about even looking at the LP filter right now? If nothing is getting into the HP can anything somehow get past it and contaminate the LP? The LP seems hard to get to and I don't want to pull it out if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Kenny Thomas
                              kennyt1123@yahoo.com

Comment

Yeah, getting to the LP filter is no piece of cake and I wouldn't want to have to do it myself, but several here have. If you had said the car had been home refueled exclusively I wouldn't be too concerned. Public stations are, for the most part, all oil lubed compressors. Their maintenance is beyond your control. If their desiccant cartridges are old/failed, or the 3rd & 4th stage rings are getting worn, the unit could be passing oil. Some areas of the country have "wet oil" and can have an impact on the filters.

As you know, working for a Honda dealer requires my advise to err on the side of caution and tell you to follow the factory maintenance schedule. A fouled injector can run $500 and be a real pain. Unless you know all of the factors I mentioned are 100% not an issue... I might suggest you side with caution.

Comment

Working...
                                X