Cng tank removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cng tank removal

Hi im new here and was wonder if its possible to remove my tank. I had just bought a 2003 chevy cavalier and had no idea of what it was. But once i learned more about it I was interested but the car is 16years old n found it should be replaced. I rather jus have it removed for more trunk space the replacing it for more then i bought it for. Any information on where I can do so if i can. Thank you

Contact cng services of AZ http://www.cngaz.com/ Dave is a longtime member here.

Comment

Not sure why this is not showing.

Just did this - removed all the CNG specific components from a 2002 Cavalier. I gave my daughter the car about 6 years ago and the CNG system was functioning fine but she has moved to an area that does not have any public CNG fueling, the tanks are past their expiration date, and she wanted the trunk space. She is visiting for 3 weeks. This is what I did:

1. Ran the car on CNG until it runs out of CNG
      2. Removed the CNG fuse in the under hood fuse compartment
      3. Removed the under-hood components; mostly bolts, hose, single wiring harness, fuel line (comes out as metal platform on top of engine that has multiple components)
      4. Replaced heater core hoses with ones that do not have a Tee going to the High Pressure Regulator
      5. Tank removal
      a. Remove spare tire and unbolted tank cover
      b. Disconnected wiring harness from tank
      b. Removed cover from tank valve
      c. Disconnected fill valve and plumbing from tank
      d. Unbolted bracket from underneath (multiple places)
      e. Unstrapped tank from structure (removed bolts)
      f. Got two sons to help me manhandle tank out of trunk - was a tight fit getting it out of the trunk
      g. Unbolted the remaining bolts and removed the small brackets in the back near the top
      h. Used a pry bar to get the bracket assembly loose from the body then removed the bracket
      i. Used body push pins to fill the holes left from the bracket bolts
      6. Went underneath and removed regulator, coolant hoses, and some of the fuel lines
      7. Went to hardware store and got some automotive grade bolts to clean up the the under hood bolts replacing bolts with extensions with regular bolts
      8. Installed a cap on air in take hose where the low pressure regulator once connected

Probably a bunch of little stuff I left out here - took an entire day.

Comment

Great post, thanks Joe for sharing your experience. There are many old CNG vehicles out there nearing end of life. From a safety perspective one of the most important things you can do is run the fuel out of the tank before scrapping, and then make sure whoever gets the tank or scrapped vehicle is aware of what to do next. NGV America has a "Scrap and Recycling Yards" primer here:
        https://www.ngvamerica.org/resource-center/documents/

Comment

Working...
        X