Introductions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introductions

Hey folks, my name is Shep and I reside in Corvallis OR. I currently have two CNG vehicles I am working on: a 1996 F-150, 4.6L (factory GFI system) and a 1998 F-250, 4.6L (TechnoCarb Conversion). I am hoping to get these systems fully operational soon, and I am most interested in direct information relating to these vehicles and how I can fix them. I've already made a post in a different forum requesting the GFIP162 manual for the F-150. Happy to share what I know as well, but I'm fairly new to to this and may be getting a job in the industry soon as well.

- Shep

Welcome to CNGchat Shep!

As you are probably aware, public CNG refueling in the Willamette Valley is essentially limited to the one in Salem. And I should imagine the CNG tanks on these trucks are long expired - you should not fill them as they pose a safety risk. Tank replacement options are quite expensive. Sorry to throw cold water on your first post here but this is the reality of the situation.

The good news is that industry jobs for CNG techs are strong, as most trash trucks and transit buses are going to CNG. But as for consumer vehicles there is virtually nothing available from the OEMs currently. Proper training is essential, as things can go terribly wrong at 3600 psi if you don't know what you are doing...

We have two very active members in the forum here who live in Oregon. You may wish to send a private message to each:
    "cnguser" and "300mileclub"

Good luck and let us know how you get along.

Comment

Hey John,

I took a CNG certification class and am considering getting my tank inspection certification as well. Now and then the guys at LBCC have surplussed, cheap new tanks and I can nab one when the time is right ($300-$500 range). Oregon has changed a bit, and we have the following public fills: Medford, Eugene, Salem, and Vancouver (technically WA). I interviewed with Techstar CNG, and I may be getting hired to help install a fill station in Lebanon, and that would be very close to where I live. I agree though, the infrastructure for CNG around here is weak, and propane is a better choice. I will be doing a propane conversation on my other truck very shortly.

Before I invest in new tanks for either of my CNG trucks, I need to do some basic trouble shooting to assure that the system isn't beyond repair. For the 96, this is totally unclear right now, something seems to be unhooked. For the 98, all the indicator lights work and everything appears to be hooked up. I was going to contact TechnoCarb about getting comprehensive literature on there conversation, but who knows if they will cooperate on such an old system.

I know the world has since moved on to multi-port vapor injection (I did install a kit on a newer ford, they just make it so easy now), but these early fogger types are interesting and a good learning experience for me to understand.

Comment

Hi All,
        I just purchased a 2011 F-150 bifuel pickup from the State of Wyoming. The purchaser gave me the information that the Impco aftermarket installed CNG system was probably never or seldom used. I filled the tank and drove west on I-80 from Rock Springs to SLC and ran on the CNG. When I stopped at a light, I heard a small pop and then smelled the natural gas. I checked it out and find that the driver's side injector is pushed out of the aluminum rail. The CNG line to the intake manifold is intact, it's just that the injector has dislocated itself.

Does anyone know how the injectors are secured? I don't see threads-press fit, maybe? The CNG community (service and maintenance) in Southern California seems to be nearly non-existent.

Anyone have any advice for a novice CNG truck owner?

Comment

Pirate, you may want to call some of the shops listed here, especially Mike's and CNG Consulting:
          http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/g...-master-thread

Comment

Working...
          X