Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to this gaseous world 2011 Civic GX south of the SF bay 90 mile one way commute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to this gaseous world 2011 Civic GX south of the SF bay 90 mile one way commute

Curious about other folks in the area, home charging, tips and tricks, modifications.

PG&E card would be helpful. They use their own proprietary card which activates Salinas, Santa Cruz, Cupertino and downtown SJ CNG stations, as well as three dozen others in Northern CA. San Leandro Honda offers CNG tank inspections at a reasonable price. And you then submit the report to PG&E and an account will be set up that you are billed monthly for usage only for gas purchased:

https://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pd..._agreement.pdf

A set of "solo driver" carpool lane access (white) stickers may be ordered from DMV since you now drive a super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV):

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

I wouldn't bother with home fueling. There are plenty of fast-fill public CNG stations in your state. PLEASE put a lanyard on your car keys and HANG THEM ON THE FUELING HOSE while you fill. A distraction such as cell phone call, retrieving items from the trunk, checking the oil, can result in absentmindedly driving off with the hose connected. Fill hoses have a "breakaway" detachable fitting half-way up the hose that disconnects at 150 lbs force. There will be an expensive charge to have the station reconnect the hose (they know the credit card, security camera record, etc.)

And - in the event of needing collision repair - these cars cannot go in an oven to bake the paint. The fuel tank may overpressure.

Comment

so, 180 miles a day...home fuel with a Fuelmaker PHILL fuels at .42 Gallons per hour

@ 30 miles per gallon (honda civic GX) you would use about 6 gallons a day, figure 14-15 hours of fueling per session, about 4000 hours on the machine per year if you do the occasional weekend drive

Check out the Coltri MCH-5, Fuels at 2.0-2.5 GGE per hour, do the research price compare, weigh the pros and cons (certified vs non-certified) many of us have been using the Coltri for years and no one on here has gone back to a fuelmaker after upgrading to the Coltri

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/g...ri-compressors

Also check out http://www.littlemetalshop.com/ch4m5/index.html

From the blog:

"Over all I am happy with the MCH-5. After years of being tortured by the Fuelmaker C3 & Phil compressors, the MCH-5 has been pretty much trouble free. After the inter-cooler fix, the only maintenance I do is to change the oil, check the belt and check for loose bolts and fittings. The MCH-5 just runs and runs."

Check out the Coltri forum there are plenty of ex-fuelmaker owners there.

Ive never owned fuelmaker and ive never had cancer, from what i know of both i dont think i would like either one of them very much.
      Last edited by trdscfjc; 1 week ago.

Comment

Welcome to the CNG world nmwllerly!

When filling: first open the valve at the hose before activating the dispenser. This way the dispenser will see the pressure in your tank before beginning the fill process and give you a more complete fill - this is especially true for ANGI dispensers. And, as 300mile discusses, be careful not to drive away with the hose connected.

Comment

Ahhh, here we go again.

In a previous thread trdscfjc stated that he has never owned a fuel maker product.
          Be sure to check out the Coltri threads before considering an uncertified compressor.

The Phill may be too small of a compressor if you need more than 4 or 5 gge daily. The fmq2 would be a good workhorse for your needs. The oil free compressors eliminate oil changes, belts, filters and the high pressure oil carry over filter to keep your car filters clean.

Fuel Maker compressors are certified by the AGA as appliances and eliminate many of the NFPA52 code requirements permitting installation near buildings and are not much different than installing a water heater or a stove..

Comment

Where are you filling now?
            2010 GX (w/Webasto moonroof, Curt hitch, 3M CS 50% tint, Alpine inew957hd nav rec)

Comment

Working...
            X