got my new weed eater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got my new weed eater

I am now saving gas on weed eating as I am running my weed eater on cng. just hook it to the second stage on my pick up with a piece of hp hose it uses so little gas that I dont even have to keep the truck running to keep the regulator from freezing. it just pisses me off when I take a gallon jug to the station and it costs me 7 bucks for a gallon of gas and a can of two stroke oil and a cold drink. so I have done something about it if everbody did this it would add up to a lot of money that exxon would not get and rag heads would have less money to buy guns and bombs this could also be done with low pressure gas from a meter on the house and low pressure hose. I am also carrying a gallon jug that I fill at the spring and saving the cold drink money to. dang I love winning

Re: got my new weed eater

Are you running a 2 stroke or 4 stroke
    weed eater? I can see converting a 4 stroke but how do you lubricate 2 stroke?

Comment

it is a 4 stroke made for you all out in california so you dont have dirty air LOL it was made to run on propane I just took the propane stuff off and hooked a hose to the regulator

Comment

Great to hear that Cowboy.

I want to replace my mower and convert a new one to CNG. Trouble is, being a service person at heart, I just can't get that 30 year old mower and engine to give up the ghost so I have the excuse to start anew.

Comment

well.... convert the old mower.
          if it breaks you win because now you can go and buy the new one
          if it keeps on running you win, too.
          And you win always using CNG.

Comment

well some of the wells around here have 30 year old briggs and are still going so why not a old mower and being a service person you know that new is junk. so convert the old. I am soon to be pulling freight with a 1984 jimmy with a 300 cummins converted to cng. old is good and I love the no payment thing

Comment

I have a craftsman propane powered weed eater, it uses the short fat 1 lb cylinders. I usually have to change bottles once a year. So far it has worked out pretty well, but doesn't have the rpms or stink of a two stroke. Joe

Comment

I have one too and use it at my ranch quite a bit. A single 1 lb bottle lasts me for what feels like a good days work. The only thing I dont like about it is that it is heavy. A 4 stroke is heavier than a 2 stroke, and the propane bottle adds to the weight. The rubber hose that connects the bottle to the regulator split and is not available so I made a replacement out of a metric brake line, roughly 3/16" diameter.

So far, I've put maybe 50 hours on it trouble free. The last thing I bought was a tree limb chain saw extension and it works surprisingly well, still, its really heavy.

Comment

Nah... The mower parts are getting hard to find and every year I have to replace something. Adding oil with every mow. Its already time to start over but need the free cash to make the change.(or tall grass) Just waiting for the cone shafts, bearings, etc to go out(again) or the engine to pop.

Comment

oil is cheap and grease the bearings before you mow it should last almost forever the old man taught me you can replace anything on a truck including a frame rail should work for a mower to

Comment

Awesone idea to reduce pollution from Weed Eater to run on CNG !! Those 2-stroke models pretty much just spew out pollution.

Main problem for CNG of course is the tank storage of the fuel. What did you use Cowboy??

IMHO, need lightweight carbon fiber Type IV cng tank that has regulator connected to top of tank itself. Then low pressure line could run to the engine, and tank could be "portable" to be used for other 4 stroke applications (ie a lawn mower than ran on CNG, a edger than runs on CNG, etc) - - - ie just like you transfer lithium battery between various tools.

Problem with the little 1 lb propane bottles are that they are not re-fillable (such a waste to just throw away). Gas company guy who sold me Big Buddy heater did have a trick hose he built to refill the little bottles but it was a work around. Coleman needs to manufacture these better so refill is easy and reliable - - -of course they WON'T since it would cut into their sales of throw away propane bottles!!

Comment

first there is a refillable tank for propane it came with a small brass fill tube that you put on a 20 lb bottle and set the bottle upside down than screwed the small bottle on but I have not seen one in years it could be because that the 20 bottle has ofp now and wont flow upsidedown what I did here is put a quick connect on the line from the hp regulator and the low pressure regulator on my pick up than just plug 100 ft hose from there to the weed eater and just move the pick up as I mow that way I am not carrying the tank it uses so little gas that the hp regulator wont even freeze you will need a bleeder at the weed eater to get the air out of the line

Comment

When I switched my jeep from propane to cng I had to switch out the impco model J regulator for a model PJ. The main difference seemed to be the Model J propane regulator had a 2psi output and the model PJ cng regulator had a .8 psi output. I tried running each fuel on the wrong regulator and the impco carb definitely needed the right pressure for the fuel chosen.

Did you run into any issues adjusting the mixture on the weedeater to go from propane to cng?

Karl

Comment

nope but my gas is about1500 btus I like the way you think as I have to see if it will work trying the wrong regulators

Comment

There are manifolds available to refill small propane tanks. While they don't conform to DOT regulations I don't transport my little cylinders across state lines so it's a non-issue. Small high pressure cylinders with the correct temp/pressure valve could be filled with CNG and made backpackable with connecting flexible hose to portable internal combustion engine (weedeater, mower, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                              X