This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CNG tanks never expire?

To determine when the tank expires and was last inspected just look at the tank. Yes you will have to remove the cover panel in the trunk.
    You should see the tank manufacturer's label which will have the expiration information (month and year) -- "Do not use after ......." There should also be an inspection lable indicating when the tank was last inspected; inspections are good for 3 years from date of inspection. The inspection label will be from either CSA or from the someone trained by the tank manufacturer.

Hope this helps

Larrycng

Comment

Okay, just so I understand clearly.

Tanks that are expired, can still be in service and filled at commercial CNG filling stations if they have been inspected, and the inspection is valid for 3 years.

Can the tank be re-certified and is that the same as being inspected?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I'm totally new to the CNG idea.

If there are other threads, websites or articles I should read to help get me up quicker, I'm all ears, send them my way!

Thanks

Comment

Point #1, When a tank expires, has gone past the "do not use after" date, it CAN NOT be re -inspected, or used past the "DO NOT USE AFTER" date and must be taken out of service. If a tank expires before its last inspection sticker expires, the inspection sticker becomes null and void.

Point #2 Tank certification and cylinder inspection are NOT the same thing. Cylinders use to be re-certified through a process called hydrostatic testing, every 5 years, with a 15 year life span. This is not longer done on CNG vehicle tanks. Cylinder Inspection is an in-use inspection system that is used to make sure the cylinders have not been damaged or abused during the service life of the tank which is clearly stated on the cylinder label.

You can get a copies of NFPA 52, and CGA's, pamphlet C-6.4; the 2 documents will give you the whole story.

Hope this clears up the questions

Larrycng

Comment

So what I am seeing here is that the tank expires 3 years after you purchase a new GX.
          It cannot be re-inspected, so is it covered under the 10 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything except low cost general maintenance (such as oil changes)?
          If not how much would it cost to get a new tank installed?
          Also, since the tank is hidden (behind a wall) and most people do not know there is a expiration date; what issues can a owner have by continuing to drive after the tank is expired?
          Last edited by ILoveMyNGV; 05-16-2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveMyNGV View Post
            So what I am seeing here is that the tank expires 3 years after you purchase a new GX.
            It cannot be re-inspected, so is it covered under the 10 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything except low cost general maintenance (such as oil changes)?
            If not how much would it cost to get a new tank installed?
            Also, since the tank is hidden (behind a wall) and most people do not know there is a expiration date; what issues can a owner have by continuing to drive after the tank is expired?
            The in service life inspection ( my term)expires 3 years/36,000 miles from new. or the last inspection , a csa tank inspector will mark the tank upon a sucessfull in service life inspection , and some may also add a a sticker under the hood or on the filler door. The vehivle owner/operator is resp. for maintaining the inspection records. Once out of service life (15 or 20 years , depending on the tank) no inspection will extend the service life.

Comment

Ah.. ok, that makes a big difference and clarifies the issue.
              Thank you.

Comment

And now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4 Thread closed

Comment

Working...
                X