Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake service chat (moved from "Smogcheck/Utah)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake service chat (moved from "Smogcheck/Utah)

I've been quoted as high as $52 for both tests. I usually shop around and get them for about $32 with a coupon. My son had his done yesterday for $25.50 with a coupon for a free inspection. Of course, he declined all the extra work they said he needed on the car. We'll be putting new brake pads on this next weekend. It will be a good chance to help him understand how easy they are to change. Once I found out how easy disc brake pads are to change, I've never had it done at the shop. Twenty bucks for lifetime brake pads from Autozone is much better than the $160 Midas wanted. And, hey, it's one-on-one time with my son.

Re: Ken Garff knicked me for $47 for an emissions inspection

I've found that I can change the brake pads in less time than it used to take me to take the car in and pick it up.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Moving to brakes is another subject and a pet peeve of mine. There are some people that will take issue with the following comments.

Sure you can change pads quickly, but did you bother to check the rotor thickness, rotor run-out and thickness variation and compare it against the vehicle specifications? Did you look at the flatness of the rotor surface; grooves, high spots and hard spot?

Did you consider having the rotors turned (provided they is enought material to stay within specifications and the law) to provide a smooth even surface on which to seat the new pads so that you will get maximum brake performance? If the rotor surface is uneven there will be excess heat where the rotor surface is high. Even .001 to .002" can cause excessive heat that can damage the new pad material and lead to hard spots on the rotors/drums. Many of the pads need to seated (burned) in to achieve max performance, high spots can adversely effect this procedure; always check the pad manufacturer's directions for pad seating.

Having done brake work over the years I had very few problems when rotors or drums are resurfaced (turned), the hardware cleaned-up and lubed or replaced as needed. It is when I have tried to short cut or do a favor to save someone some money that I got bit in the backside.

In closing, remember brakes are one of the most critical safety systems in the vehicle, the life you save may be mine -- and maybe yours and your families.

Larrycng CMATT (retired)

Comment

There is an easy solution for this -- buy new rotors, too. For my Civic the rotors are under $20 each at Autozone with a 1 year warranty. You can then try to have the old ones turned for next time (Autozone doesn't do this, but other parts stores do), or just buy new ones.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

That is the cheapest I seen rotors, thanks for the info

Larrycng

Comment

I never use lifetime pads as for them to be life time they make them harder than the rotor I buy the cheapest organic pad I can get and change them more often but almost never need to do anything to the rotors with metalic pads they eat in to the rotor i remember when metal touched metal it was time to change brakes now we build them this way think there might be someone wantting to sell brake parts out there

Comment

Brake service chat (moved from "Smogcheck/Utah)

The smog thread was drifting off topic, so the brake discussion can continue here.

Comment

Re: Brake service chat (moved from "Smogcheck/Utah)

It looks like when you moved the thread we were not subscribed to the new thread...
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

I'm not sure how to link it ( subscribed threads) . Had to close the smog thread, it was straying too far , but how to get brakes done without paying an arm and a leg is a great subject and I wanted to keep it going.

Comment

Valid point Cowboy. The cheap organic linings/pads will grab quicker, but fade faster and are easier on the drums and rotors; good for "granny" but not for me. The matallic take a little more pressure, but will not fade as quickly under higher temperatures. I go for the harder lining; more pressure/less fade and start braking sooner with less pressure (except when the bozos do something stupid); you learn that technique whe towing an 10,000 lb 5th wheel trailer.

As to retaining your arm, leg and other parts of your anatomy... Look for the coupons from reputable shops? I used to do most of my own work because of the facilities at my disposal. If you have the knowledge and skill, there is till the driveway as I am doing. I still buy the good stuff and have drums and rotors machined. For the type of driving I do and my driving habits, I get more mileage for my money. I have tried to cheap out. It isn't worth it in terms of safety and hassle.

Another thing that should be considered is flushing out the brake fluid every couple of years or so (I just run new brake fluid throught system until it comes out the bleeder valve). It will keep some of the "garbage" and corrosion out of the system. Brake fluid will absorbe water and that will lower the boiling point of the brake fluid. Oh, when the brake fluid boils the brake pedel goes to floor and you have no brakes -- vapor compresses no so a liquid; that is why hydraulic brakes work

Probably not much help

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
                      I'm not sure how to link it ( subscribed threads) . Had to close the smog thread, it was straying too far , but how to get brakes done without paying an arm and a leg is a great subject and I wanted to keep it going.
                      Certainly there is a place where you can get your brakes done for way less than an arm and a leg. But that's if you are in northern Utah. How does $55 an axle sound with service at your place. You should never drive a car that has bad brakes right! Brakes Only Mobile Brake Service in Salt Lake City only does brakes. Check out the reviews on the KSL.com ad. There is also a coupon available there.

http://local.ksl.com/listings/brakes...40877?ad_cid=4
                      www.brakes-incorporated.com

Comment

I would be curious what type of linings were used? Are the drums or rotors machined? Are new drum or rotors installed if they are below minimum legal thickness (usually stamped on the component). Is fluid flushed?

I'm doing the front brakes on my 1 ton Dodge, new rotors (they have been turned once about .035, new bearings (because not putting old bearings on new cups), new pads, semi-metallic, new seals. Brake fluid was changed last year. And of course clean up and lube the components as necessary. Talking about $350.00 in parts, $60 for pads alone -- and that is one axle. The vehicle is an RV and usually carries 8,800 to 9,000 lb.

Just wondering

larrycng CMATT (retired)
                        Last edited by larrycng; 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
                          There is an easy solution for this -- buy new rotors, too. For my Civic the rotors are under $20 each at Autozone with a 1 year warranty. You can then try to have the old ones turned for next time (Autozone doesn't do this, but other parts stores do), or just buy new ones.
                          I just replaced the pads and rotors on my favorite (and only) daughter's Cavalier. O'Reilly wanted $16 to turn the rotors, but only $21 for new ones. I went with the new ones. I have also found that a small jar of brake grease for the pins and back side of the pads can go a long way for many, many brake jobs. Now, if I could just get that can of brake cleaner to last a bit longer . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X