No announcement yet.

VW TDI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of diesels and if money was no object I so would have a Cummins in my Superduty crew.

Love this pull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoIMK-FG6w

Hard to ignore a spooled up turbo.

Last edited by jblue; 10-13-2015, 08:18 PM.

“Innovation is driven by having access to things.” -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Turbo yes! I love turbo4 (DI prem. gasoline) in my Mercedes C class sport pkg PLUS, it's faster, smoother, cleaner and very economical too. Sweet w/o the stink!

Yep heavy duty truck is proper application for diesel, not compact cars and SUVs.
      Last edited by GX-SV; 10-13-2015, 09:44 PM.
      Sold GX

Comment

So maybe there could be a silver lining to this "cloud" over VW. I would agree, Clean Diesel is dead (at least in this country). I would be surprised if Volkswagen ever imports another Diesel passenger car into this country---if they did, sales would be really low. So what to do to fill the gap. As mentioned by another poster on this thread, Volkswagen does build CNG vehicles for use in other countries. So why not atone for their sins by importing and selling a "clean" CNG vehicle in the U.S. If CNG is to survive, there needs to be a supply of cars built as CNG vehicles that fill the void left by Honda. The VW E-Golf and a CNG offering could go along way to clean up the image problem they now have. I would trade my 2015 TDI Jetta in a second for a CNG powered model.

Comment

CNG growth in US seems to be centered on fleets/trucks, where the economics are good.

For passenger cars, looks like electrics are the highest growth segment (more so than hybrids).
          Sold GX

Comment

Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
            CNG growth in US seems to be centered on fleets/trucks, where the economics are good.

For passenger cars, looks like electrics are the highest growth segment (more so than hybrids).

See what happens to light duty fleets when the thousands of vans in use by the telecom and satilite tv co's get to end of service life. I'm afraid the next round of light duty cng vehicles will leave me out , cuz I'l bee in a wheelchair or walker by then .

Comment

Must be getting really ugly at VW corporate, more rats jumping off the ship http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswag...its-1444827950 , sorry , not sure how to get to the story in the link w/o signing up for a trial subscription, those darn pay-walls

Short version of the WSJ story , an exec. was picked to takeover VW North America. Instead of accepting , he quit instead !
              Last edited by Lakewood90712; 10-14-2015, 10:59 PM.

Comment

LOL. Smart guy. Whoever takes the job will no doubt get wasted in all the collateral damage. It never seems to end well for those who try to right the ship.

Comment

Yes, being the exec of company in crisis like VW's is not especially rewarding.

Let's see how US criminal charges playout (or don't), still TBD.
                  Sold GX

Comment

VW's resale values are taking a significant hit due to fiasco. Compensation to current owners is possible.
                    Sold GX

Comment

Diesel V6's in the fiasco, after VW admitted cheating recently to the EPA. (At first they denied it).

Not sure when VW will come clean...
                      Sold GX

Comment

Head of VW USA steps down immediately http://www.reuters.com/article/volks...-idUSL1N16H24V

Comment

the U.S. government has alot of these new diesel cars under quarantine ....I think it would be interesting if VW took these cars and converted them to spark ignition and outfitted them to run on CNG, at the same time getting them SULEV certified (easy) and let them go to govt fleet sales.

​That would be Irony on multiple levels, turning the "dirty diesel" into one of the cleanest vehicles on the road, and then watch govt. fleets buy them up.

Comment

Yes, new TDI's still held at port(s) that contain cheating software. But the real issue is the lack of viable solution for the older gross-polluting non-SCR TDI's, they are not fixable.
                            Sold GX

Comment

Work Starts on Volkswagen’s First LNG-Powered PCTC

China’s Xiamen Shipbuilding has started building the first of two 7,500 CEU LNG pure car truck carrier (PCTC) vessels ordered by Siem Car Carriers. The steel cutting ceremony was held in Xiamen on March 10, 2018. In 2019, the dual-fuel LNG ships are to be chartered by Volkswagen Group Logistics to carry Volkswagens from Europe to North America.

The 60,000 gross ton new builds will feature a length of 199.9 meters and a width of 38 meters. Compared with conventional diesel vessels, the LNG ships will reduce CO2 emissions by up to 25 percent, NOX by up to 30 percent, particulates by up to 60 percent and sulfur oxides by as much as 100 percent, according to Volkswagen.

https://worldmaritimenews.com/archiv...-powered-pctc/

Comment

Working...
                              X