Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An actual Plug in charging at the Walgreens electric car charger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • An actual Plug in charging at the Walgreens electric car charger

    Most of the Walgreens in this area have had electric car chargers for years, with very high rates. Never actually seen one in use till today, Chevy Volt plugged in. There is some sort of electric car consortium that pays for the first so many minutes/ kw at these pay chargers for members. It's a third party who installed and maintains the chargers.Not really chargers, they are metered ac electric connections.

    The only other big retailers I have seen with parking lot chargers is Costco, and it's FREE at Costco. Yea Costco !!

  • #2
    The EV forum is down the hall and to the right, lol.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

    Comment


    • #3
      I think Costco removed all of their EV charging stations a while ago unfortunately.
      Adrian

      Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
      Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
      Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Adrian View Post
        I think Costco removed all of their EV charging stations a while ago unfortunately.
        I took a look at the Torrance Skypark store today. 2 chargers, neither in use, but " Reserved for electric charging sign at the spaces, A Tesla S and one of those funky little Mitsubishi electrics parked in the spaces. So the pecking order for reserved spaces in the front row is : Handicapped then electrics, then everyone else.

        Comment


        • #5
          Glad to hear these chargers haven't been removed from all Costcos. The three Costco's around my house no longer have EV charging stations. Having said that, I think these chargers should not be close to the front of the store since it generally annoys non-ev driving customers.
          Adrian

          Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
          Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
          Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Adrian View Post
            Glad to hear these chargers haven't been removed from all Costcos. The three Costco's around my house no longer have EV charging stations. Having said that, I think these chargers should not be close to the front of the store since it generally annoys non-ev driving customers.
            They are in the front row, just past the handicap spaces, net effect is reserved electric spaces. Tuesday . 2 volt's parked there, neither plugged in. Last night I parked my high carbon fuel vehicle in one of the spaces. This Costco is about a mile from the GM Advanced propulsion facility in Torrance, might be why the chargers are still at this Costco.

            Comment


            • #7
              The chargers that used to be installed at the Costcos near my house were not useable by modern electric cars since they were the old, paddle type units that only worked for the old 15+ year old first generation EVs. Current EVs use J1772 plugs. Did you happen to notice if the chargers at the Costco you are describing are old paddle type units or new J1772 units? If they are the old units, chances any EV will use them are close to zero since likely none of those cars are still on the road - and Costco should remove them like they did everywhere else.
              Adrian

              Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
              Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
              Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Adrian View Post
                The chargers that used to be installed at the Costcos near my house were not useable by modern electric cars since they were the old, paddle type units that only worked for the old 15+ year old first generation EVs. Current EVs use J1772 plugs. Did you happen to notice if the chargers at the Costco you are describing are old paddle type units or new J1772 units? If they are the old units, chances any EV will use them are close to zero since likely none of those cars are still on the road - and Costco should remove them like they did everywhere else.

                They are the modern ones at the Torrance Costco , fairly new units. Costco is breaking ground on a new larger store adjacent to the existing one, with a 3 story parking structure. No idea of what arrangements for electric charging. My guess is yes, to show they are " Green" for planning approval . The state may have some sort of mandate too for new commercial buildings.

                The 2 at Lakewood city hall are a kluge , 1 older paddle control box, 1 contact type control box , both retrofitted with the new connector. Pretty hard to install modified equipment, except the city bldg. dept can grant the builder ( the city ) a modification to the code, as they are the A.H.J. and Lakewood is , Uh, lets just say " Thrifty". Often see resident's electrics parked there overnight getting a free charge.

                PS we are about due for a so cal alt fuel drivers meet up.
                Last edited by Lakewood90712; 10-08-2015, 10:28 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Whole Foods market here in San Jose has charging setups for electric cars.

                  I park my GX (w/white stickers) in that "clean vehicle area" at front.
                  Sold GX

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post




                    PS we are about due for a so cal alt fuel drivers meet up.
                    Yes, we are.
                    Adrian

                    Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
                    Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
                    Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sams Club ( right next to Costco ) at the Torrance Crossroads put in one new free charger, and is often actually being used.

                      Construction of the new larger Costco store at the same location is progressing. No info yet on plug in spaces.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The EV chargers at Whole Foods here are almost always busy during normal business hours. I park my GX in that row for "Clean Vehicles", but park at the far end so I don't block access to chargers.
                        Sold GX

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The new Costco Mega Store just opened in Torrance CA. with 12 electric car chargers , 2 were actually in use ! The Fuel station has 4 islands, 24 Gasoline/ Diesel dispensers, 24 gasoline nozzles, 24 diesel. 0 CNG , 0 LPG, but they do have a spiffy new automated car wash.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X