Methane content & BTU values

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methane content & BTU values

Just did a bit of research on CNG Methane content and energy values in BTU - in reference to "LCNG"

CNG - greater than or equal to min 75% methane is rated at 20,268 btu per gallon
    Methane 99% or greater is rated at 23,811 btu per gallon

The delta is 5,543 btu or 17.5% improvement over CNG numbers.

Applied to mpg performance this means that if you get the following CNG mpg numbers then you should get the number next to it for LCNG?? In a perfect world?? Or the real world below??

36 - 42
    38 - 45
    40 - 47
    42 - 49
    44 - 52
    46 - 54
    47 - 55 - Wow drive 55 and get 55 mpg what a marketing plan!!

Re: Crossing the Southwest on Interstate 40 with public CNG fueling

Originally posted by RexKI View Post
    Just did a bit of research on CNG Methane content and energy values in BTU - in reference to "LCNG"

CNG - greater than or equal to min 75% methane is rated at 20,268 btu per gallon
    Methane 99% or greater is rated at 23,811 btu per gallon

The delta is 5,543 btu or 17.5% improvement over CNG numbers.

Applied to mpg performance this means that if you get the following CNG mpg numbers then you should get the number next to it for LCNG?? In a perfect world?? Or the real world below??

36 - 42
    38 - 45
    40 - 47
    42 - 49
    44 - 52
    46 - 54
    47 - 55 - Wow drive 55 and get 55 mpg what a marketing plan!!
    Never seen a commercial cng station with a methane % of less than 88% , usually 90%

Comment

The btu numbers you posted are per pound not per gallon, 5.66 lbs per gge.

Comment

Originally posted by flatracker View Post
        The btu numbers you posted are per pound not per gallon, 5.66 lbs per gge.
        Should not matter the same ratios apply whether pound versus pound or GGE versus GGE

Comment

gas that is 99% has 30% more methane than 75% gas yet only yields 18% more btu's????. None of the math in that post adds up, once you start with bad numbers all results after that equal bad numbers.

Comment

we have a problem here at the house that we cant sell gas over 1050 btu.( government says so) I have seen gas as high as 1400 and have heard of some over in nydeck that is 1500+. the reason is to much propane heptane butane ethane all are hotter gases than methane so my way of thinking is that if the methane count is low it should be a higher btu. more of the other tanes. what is in your gas to drop the btu? the cool thing about pure methane is the octane is way high 129? propane and that my friends is great for high compression motors IE duel fuel as if you have ethane over about 6% it becomes a big problem with duel fuel ng and diesel with pre ign and builds a lot of heat and will cause piston burning . so my point here is if the methane numbers are low why is the btu low. landfill gas ? if I burn unstriped well head gas my mpg go up.
            Last edited by cowboy; 02-28-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

The biggest problem with all heavies is that many won't compress they turn into a liquids. If they make it into the fuel cylinder they take up space because there is a good chance the pressure will never get low enough fro them to turn back into a gas.

Comment

I have attached a copy of my gas stats which was tested a couple of years ago. I haven't had any trouble with vehicle performance... It is well gas.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cngmike View Post
                  The biggest problem with all heavies is that many won't compress they turn into a liquids. If they make it into the fuel cylinder they take up space because there is a good chance the pressure will never get low enough fro them to turn back into a gas.
                  I have had this happen. with my dodge.it is a aspirated system. I was running wellhead gas and was loosing capacity to liquid as I never got down to a pressure that it would off gas. but I took a trip that I knew I would have to burn gasoline low and behold I got down to a little less than 200 psi and it stayed there for about 200 miles. I made to the station in Miami and filled up but did not make it home as my truck will only go about six to seven hundred miles on a good fill. so I think the extra miles came from the heavy's boiling off.

Comment

wow perfect btu for the pipeline shame you dont have a pipeline near you

Comment

pipeline gas that is low methane content the rest is carbon dioxide or nitrogen, the tanes are all stripped off on initial compression.

Comment

A million btu's of propane is worth about 7 dollars wholesale, a million btu's of methane about 2.80 currently they aren't about to leave the propane in there and sell it that cheap, although some do leave some ethane due to it being a much cheaper product.

Comment

my thoughts are that we are talking about natural gas. the key word ( natural ) once it is processed it is no longer natural. natural is as it comes

Comment

Not in my neck of the woods but some wells produce what is referred to as dry natural gas that is almost 100% methane right out of the hole. I wouldn't really call compressing natural gas and draining of the fluid fractions processing. Your not cracking it and changing the molecular structure like they do crude oil. They don't do it anymore but my utility used to do propane air blending on high demand days where they blended propane with air to bring it down to 1000 btu per 100 cubic feet and pumped it in the line . A very bad thing if your compressing cng off said line

Comment

Working...
                            X