A plea for youtube how to videos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A plea for youtube how to videos

I was hoping that someone on here might be willing to produce some youtube videos specifically about fixing parts specific to CNG vehicles. Siai47 you certainly came to mind since you post on pretty much every thread out there that has to do with diagnosing and fixing things. I would donate monetarily to someone willing to do this since I'm a visual learner and would rely heavily on them. Some videos to start with that I can think of off the top of my head would be how to pull the fuel injectors out (since I need to pull mine and have them cleaned and I'd really like to do it myself ) Or maybe how to take apart the connection between the nozzle in the back to the tank to replace o rings or what have you. Also I would hope that proper safety techniques could be reviewed in these videos as well. Let me know what you guys thinks. And I really am serious about donating and I think maybe some others might also.

Re: A plea for youtube how to videos

I would be willing to do this ...but would like some help...been wanting to post some videos about cng compressor maintenance and repair but I would appreciate some a.v. support ....anyone in socal interestd post here

Comment

I'd be interested in supporting this. I'll just have to get back my video cam from my son in Las Vegas (a good excuse for another trip out there)

I was trying to figure out what to do with my spare time besides travel.
      Maybe we can set up a wish list somewhere on this website for desired topics.

Send me a post-Thanksgiving PM reminder.
      White '09 GX

Comment

Sky is always adding new videos to the youtube lineup.

Comment

I like the idea of a wishlist. I wonder if there could be a way to start a cngchat channel on youtube and then upload videos to the owner to be posted?

Originally posted by eloo View Post
          I'd be interested in supporting this. I'll just have to get back my video cam from my son in Las Vegas (a good excuse for another trip out there)

I was trying to figure out what to do with my spare time besides travel.
          Maybe we can set up a wish list somewhere on this website for desired topics.

Send me a post-Thanksgiving PM reminder.

Comment

Could you link his youtube channel? Thanks!

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
            Sky is always adding new videos to the youtube lineup.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC60orONnTYr-lhxrPv1mk9Q is the Sky channel

Comment

Due to liability issues with providing DIY info on CNGChat, we do not sanction such practices. Members doing so shoulder the liability issues on their own. We have a great many good mechanics in our midst. On the other hand, some are dangerous with a gasoline car, much less a high pressure fuel system. Professionally trained CNG mechanics have died working on these systems, so its not a far stretch to imagine "Joe Average" making it onto the evening news without too much effort.

Members who supply detailed information, or instructions on how to work on CNG systems, run the liability risk on their own. CNGChat does not support this practice of information sharing for just this reason. That said, we have a lot of sharp mechanics among our ranks, but all it takes is a beer swilling redneck to crack a hot fuel line to bring a lot of bad press to an industry that need only positive press to continue flourishing... Nuf said.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

liability is a cop out for everything these days. if someone is going to take apart a high pressure line they are going to do it anyway so if they have a video showing how to shut the tanks off and run the car out of fuel there is a good chance that they might get through it without hurting anyone including themselves. and it might even work when they get done. if there is no info out here than it is only a matter of time till we hear the loud noise coming from the diys yard and let me tell you the press loves loud noises and as far as liability gos it should fall in the lap of the those who build things and have the piss poor excuse that they call manuals these days. I find a lot of the manuals I get now days are to very hard to read and were written by someone who has never done what they are writing about. I also love the part in most manuals that tells you to take it to the dealer. it used to be it would tell to get tool #123456x to do the work you called the cornwell man and he was happy to sell you one.than you had it for the next time. well so much for the good old days when dads and sons worked on the family car together instead of the kids running the streets smoking crack and dad having to work a 100 hours to get a new timing belt put on. or ten hours for a set of plugs installed at the dealer. Also I have never heard of and one getting killed putting plugs in now the hp lines you should have some idea what you are doing. now as to the beer swilling redneck I am proud of my beer swilling ability . now what I don't know is if we should let wine sipping shaky side funny people fool with the cars they bought and payed for. ROTFLOL
                  Last edited by cowboy; 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Cowboy, next time you are in Maryland, I will buy you a beer.

Comment

Cowboy, there is a beer waiting for you in Phoenix AZ too.

Comment

hey abe where are you in Maryland? I have to go to pasadeana Maryland to install a compressor this week I might just take you up on that and buy one to. PM me

Comment

Even though it is hard to get service information on CNG vehicles you can get it----along with parts on current models. In the EV world things are very different. I recently bought a new Mitsubishi I-MiEV electric car---they were blowing them out for about the price of a good golf cart becuse nobody wanted them so what the heck. I bought the factory service manual and to my surprise the entire section on the high voltage battery was missing. There is absolutely nothing of value about this part of the car in the manual. Going to the dealer to get some parts (to modify the car) I was told that none of the parts are available for service. I told them they must be mistaken and they said no and showed me their online parts catalog and the pages for high voltage parts (the entire battery system) were blank. They said that as all the cars are still on "warranty" there was no need to sell any parts--just bring the car in for service. I told them I already voided the warranty on my car with 94 miles on it, so I wanted to buy parts. In fact in found out the dealer service department isn't even allowed to open the battery enclosure to so much as replace a 10 cent part---the entire assembly which costs more then half the price of the car must be replaced. The next question was what if I damage part of the car related to the high voltage system how is it repaired? The short answer is the vehicle is scrapped. So much for the backyard mechanic. You need their scan tool to work on it called a MUT III. How much do they cost? Oh, about $10K. Ok, order me one. Sorry, retail customers can't buy one. I can get one from China for about a grand (or meet one of their mechanics after work for one of theirs) but things sure aren't easy. Even on normal cars, parts of assemblies are no longer sold. Oh, you need a piston? Sorry, it only comes as an assembly---It's called the engine (and includes the transaxle) for you convenience. You see where this is headed. As to the I-MiEV parts I needed I bought a wrecked I-MiEV to get what I needed. Cost less for the whole car then the parts I wanted to buy from the dealer in the first place. Rant over.

Comment

I love the rants. haha. Siai47 do I dare ask how you voided the warranty? I was thinking that maybe we can use this forum and just post links to youtube videos that we make with a quick description of what it helps us learn how to do. Anyone in Utah that's willing to do this I can videotape no problem.

Comment

It's easy to void parts of the warranty--unless the dealer has a sense of humor. You buy a new base model car from him and return several weeks later with the same car but it now seems to be a deluxe trim model with an upgraded exterior and interior along with every factory option including factory EV charge port and Navigation. I was honest with him about it and first didn't want to touch any part of it. However, there are consumer protections that forbid the manufacturer from voiding any part of the warranty that was not impacted by anything I did. In my case that probably leaves the gas cap under warranty (because it doesn't have one).

Comment

Working...
                              X