Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been thinking again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I have been thinking again

    the new electric cars are coming. so I was thinking would it be cheaper to run a genset to charge it off of city gas than the grid if one was to use the waste heat ie water and ex to heat the house, hot water, dryer. green house etc? as 70% of the power generated is lost in transmiting it where most of the gas sent gets there except what is used for line compression I would think it would be cheaper. I know it is cheaper per btu for gas than power when heating a house
    Last edited by cowboy; 12-16-2012, 04:17 PM.

  • #2
    Re: I have been thinking again

    Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    the new electric cars are coming. so I was thinking would it be cheaper to run a genset to charge it off of city gas than the grid if one was to use the waste heat ie water and ex to heat the house, hot water, dryer. green house etc? as 70 of the power generated is lost in transmiting it where most of the gas sent gets there except what is used for line compression I would think it would be cheaper. I know it is cheaper per btu for gas than power when heating a house
    I am waiting for these units to become available for home use, then yes: http://www.bloomenergy.com/
    Adrian

    Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
    Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
    Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I have been thinking again

      Climate Energy has been selling a small natural gas grid tied co-gen unit made by Honda. Its about $6500 , but will run an insane number of hours for an ICE engine. Makes about 1kw and the waste heat from the water jacket is for home heat or hot water. Only available on the east coast.I would buy and install one today if available. Run it 24/7 in cool weather, provide most of the heat in a well insulated house, with hydronic system with a heat storage method, and sell any excess to the power co. Overall almost 90% of the fuel used is put to work. Honda has been selling it in japan for over 10 years. Things like this should be made in America , in several sizes.

      Kohler make a lot of water cooled gensets using gm and ford 4, 6 and 8 cyl industrial engines. Not sure if it can compete with grid elec. after maint. cost, but Cowboy could have a sweet deal if he still has free NG from wells. Honda quit selling RV and portable water cooled generators in 2010. Only air cooled. Seems a shame to waste all of the heat from the ICE generator in an RV.
      Last edited by Lakewood90712; 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I have been thinking again

        Originally posted by Adrian View Post
        I am waiting for these units to become available for home use, then yes: http://www.bloomenergy.com/
        so cool I want one or 4or 5 so santa if you cant get them in the house trailer just leave the in the yard.LOL

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I have been thinking again

          Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          so cool I want one or 4or 5 so santa if you cant get them in the house trailer just leave the in the yard.LOL
          According to their datasheets, the smaller unit (ES-5400) fed with natural gas will produce 100kW. You want 4 or 5? What are you trying to power?
          Adrian

          Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
          Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
          Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I have been thinking again

            my house and sell the surplus to the power co and have them send the checks to my place in nicaragua and be a beach bumLOL. I just want to have lots of surplus.

            Comment


            • #7
              Current search for the Honda natural gas fueled, water cooled generator providing waste heat for space heating and hot water yields this link:

              http://www.qnergy.com/sites/Qnergy/U...%20Booklet.pdf

              [COLOR=#373737][FONT=Titillium Web][SIZE=16px]Qnergy (q
              .

              Comment


              • #8
                $13K price for Honda natural gas fueled 1.8kW generator found in this link:

                http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-...-freewatt.html
                .

                Comment


                • #9
                  PG&E installed a HiPower backup generator next to the CNG station in Concord CA. HiPower, out of Lenexa KS, makes Bi-Fuel or natural gas fueled gensetsgas percentages up to a maximum of 70% of the total fuel requirement.

                  http://www.hipowersystems.com/Portab...on/1/bi-fuel/3
                  .

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X