Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Paratransit Fleets Moves to NGVs

NGVAmerica Newsletter 8/26/2012
    On Tuesday, World CNG announced an agreement to build eleven natural gas-powered Dodge Grand Caravans for SCR Medical Transportation of Chicago. Over the next month, these vehicles will be integrated into SCR's fleet that provides paratransit services in a six county area of northeastern Illinois. Each Dodge Grand Caravan CNG is outfitted with an ElDorado National side-loading wheelchair ramp and 11.2 GGEs of CNG fuel storage that provide up to 200 miles of range. "Through a partnership with NatGasCar, we have been able to develop an EPA-certified CNG minivan that is a safe and affordable solution for paratransit operators," said Garret Alpers, President of World CNG. "The innovative trunk-mounted CNG tank design allows for the straightforward addition of the side-load wheelchair ramp that many ADA service providers require." Federal grant funding administered by the City of Chicago's Departments of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Green Taxi Program covered the incremental cost of the CNG conversion.
    Last edited by Curtis; 09-03-2012, 12:42 AM.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Re: Chicago Paratransit Fleets Moves to NGVs

Hope this leads to downstate CNG use.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
      "The innovative trunk-mounted CNG tank design allows for the straightforward addition of the side-load wheelchair ramp that many ADA service providers require."
      That's the most usual setup I see in aftermarket conversions for minivans, altough under-body mounting in the stock spare tyre location became more widespread recently.

Comment

I don't see why I should pay for scr to have cng vans . as I have payed out of my own pocket for my trucks it may be nice to get something for nothing but remember that the goverment can not give anything that they have not taken from someone else.
        Last edited by Curtis; 09-03-2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Cowboy, the article mentions that the SCR conversions had only the incremental portion of the conversion covered by grants. No one was complaining when the feds & states were giving tax credits and incentives to consumers. While I agree that the free market needs to be self sustaining, operating without gov't subsidies, this is not a political forum, but an information sharing group, as it was conceived & designed. Please limit political commentary to the confines of the "Lounge Forum" where this is acceptable.

If you have some thing in the way of constructive observation, or commentary, to add to a thread... please do so. I think its great that new industries are finding alternative fuels. Industries who have historically relied on gasoline and diesel are seeing the cost & emissions benefits of alternative fuels. In an economy where businesses are cautious about the spending of a dollar, its good that there is a mechanism in place to jump start the industry and allow alt fuels to take root.

Incentives are growing increasingly scarce, but like an old timey hand crank car... if someone doesn't grab the handle and turn the crank, it will most likely never get running. In this case it happens to be the gov't. We need success stories to propagate the alt fuels market. No one wants to be the first to try anything. This negates that obstacle.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

VPG MV-1 ramp mini-van on eBay auction ending 10 Nov 2017. Attachment show service locations some years back when company was in business. MV-1 is powered by a 4.6-liter Ford gasoline V8, but VPG is also selling a model powered by CNG.

. . . Through December 31, 2011, CLEAN ENERGY invested approximately $13,106 in The Vehicle Production Group (VPG), a company that is developing a natural gas vehicle made in the United States for taxi and paratransit use.
            Info from 2015:

. . . VPG sees the MV-1 primarily as a commercial vehicle for paratransit fleets, taxi companies, and livery services. The van has already been approved as a taxi in New York and Philadelphia. New York's new Taxi of Tomorrow need to be modified for wheelchair accessibility. The MV-1 is currently in production at the former Hummer plant in Mishawaka, Indiana. It starts at $39,950 and comes with a 3-year/36,000 bumper-bumper warranty.

. . . Yes, you read that right; a company that received $50 million from U.S. taxpayers was sold to a private interest for a scant $3 million. And not just any private interest, but the makers of one of the least-green vehicles ever conceived. But it might not be so bad. AM General has formed a new company, Mobility Ventures, and intends to resume and continue production of VPG s MV-1 taxi. VPG had built 2,500 taxis before shutting its doors, with orders for many more. Despite taxpayers losing out on a total of $42 million, this might be the best-caste scenario for the continued existence of these innovation taxicabs. And despite the very public failures of VPG and Fisker Automotive, the green loan program is open for business once again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VPG-MV-1/18...xZ-Mfx&vxp=mtr

CNG_VPG_MV-1.png

Comment

Working...
            X