Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountain towing capacity for a Civic CNG.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain towing capacity for a Civic CNG.

Is there a towing capacity for the Civic CNG, or would that void the warranty? I realize it couldn't tow much, but I really don't know of any mid size vehicle that would meet my needs. I may have to wait for a Dodge minivan. I could get one converted now. Just curious. I live in flat land, but we will be doing a lot of mountains on vacations.

Re: Mountain towing capacity for a Civic CNG.

Towing with the CivicNG voids the warranty.

Comment

Somewhere (some time ago) a member posted a pic of his Civic (may have been a Cavalier) with a receiver mounted and a slide in tray, similar to what you would put a power wheelchair on. This may not be helpful, but it is as close to towing as you should probably attempt with the Civic. He strapped a large ice chest to it and it functioned as extended trunk space.

Obviously an out of warranty vehicle won't have this manufacturers imposed towing restriction, but I would never try towing anything over 1,000 lbs with a light duty vehicle like the Civic Natural Gas and would be uncomfortable doing even that, particularly for any distance. If we are talking an earlier model with the CVT... I probably wouldn't try it at all.

The other issue is that the suspension isn't set up to handle the extra weight in the rear. Tongue weight can be as much as 400 lb, depending on what you're towing. It would take some beefing up of the rear suspension if you wanted to tow anything above several hundred lbs, again depending on tongue weight.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Funny, in the UK it is very normal to see people pulling huge RVs (Caravans) with small 2.0L cars.

The VW Golf in Germany is rated to tow 1.8 tonnes (3900lbs)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...lives-edition/

caravan.jpg
        Last edited by CanAm; 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I would not worry once you are out of warranty as long as you have a stick as once the clutch is engaged there is little heat but with a auto it will just get hotter and hotter till it burns up trailer brakes would be a good idea [***] those germans are a crafty bunch and dont forget that the rest of the world uses long tons
          Last edited by CNGLO; 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM. Reason: TOS violation-language

Comment

Lots of good info. I think I will need to have at least a Dodge Caravan. Possibly a full size van. I am looking way ahead. My existing Caravan will hold me until my wife retires. Then we will be on major road trips, God willing. I realize that these are available now, at least as conversions.

Comment

JMHO - sounds like a motorhome towing a civic would be a better choice. The comforts of home, pull over to use the bath or take a nap and never have to get out. The civic is along for jaunts. May need to be on a tow dolly. Many doctors recommend this style of camping for retirees, especially if health is a factor.

My goal for retirement (OK I will never retire) is to have a CNG motorhome.

Comment

I'd vote for the CNG motorhome idea that AmFuel has . . . once big tractor trucks get LNG/CNG at truck stops across the country, next logical thing to run on CNG would be motorhomes (especially diesel that could become blended fuel mix of diesel and CNG). This would be super setup if motorhome could handle range from no cng to say 70% cng blend - - - that way when no cng stations, could run on diesel only. Last week fueled up in Tulsa OK and ran into diesel Dodge pickup that had cng added to blend fuel . . guy loved it as he has 100 MORE horsepower and gets 30 to 35 mpg!!

With my bi-fuel Cavalier, I've towed small 5 x 8 enclosed trailer (empty) which was way TOO MUCH drag on the little Cavvy. Once you're out on highway with any headwind, trying to hit 65 mph was a challenge. What I use now is just a lightweight 4 x 8 open utility trailer and that's no problem around town for the 2003 Cavalier.

Comment

Interesting set-up:
                  http://www.cng-now.us/myNGV.html

Comment

I have a Curt hitch on my 2010 GX. But I think previous owner used it for bike rack.
                    Sold GX

Comment

For occasional towing it is normal to tow up to the curb weight of the vehicle. In the case of a Civic, I'm sure the available hitch rating will be the limiting factor. .CVT's have not proven to be a problem. Of course hot temperatures and mountainous driving requires moderation.

Comment

I have the Reese tow platform that I have used with my 2012 civic, I had the tow kit installed by U haul and it has performed well, I once towed 1500 pounds of grass flats in a utility trailer on the highway about 50 miles, not recommended but it worked fine.

Not something I would do often but it is doable. As far as hauling items on the Reese platform with my cargo box it also works well, weight limit is 300 pounds.

Comment

I put a 200lb dirt bike on the back of a gasoline '01 Corolla...bottomed out the suspension and blew the struts (mechanics kept looking at it puzzled on how the struts were so worn)...car honestly drove fine, but it's technically unsafe as the car isn't rated for that much weight (6" behind the bumper) and can be unpredictable in emergency braking situations

power/acceleration wise the car was fine...but that's true for most cars...it's the braking I'd be worried about!

not to mention wear/tear on the transmission...

Comment

The Civic sedan has a 2000# hitch available. Normally a vehicle can tow a non braked trailer equal to the curb weight of the car up to 3000# but not exceed the hitch rating and in this case not more than 300# tongue weight. I have towed a 2000# trailer with a Honda Fit with absolutely no problems. What I would worry about is the mounting of the hitch to make sure it does not interfere with any CNG components and also take into consideration the weight of fully filled CNG tanks. If you can estimate the weight of the full tanks, I would subtract that from the max trailer weight. I think you will wind up somewhere around 1500# and have not problems.

Comment

i put a curt trailer hitch on my civic and welded it to the frame to increase strength and bought a hitch carrier from harbor frieght to to my motorcycle from salt lake city to the LA area 3 years ago worked great .. i ended up buying a Kendon motorcycle trailer and i tow my bike with that now.. i have also towed my RZR800 on a trailer into the mountians to go offroading that combo was about 2300 lbs and did ok .. as long as you dont think it is a race car it is fine lots of people ask questions when they see my trailer hitch but it is well used and has done great ..

Comment

Working...
                              X