• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFI Regulator and valve pictures

Hope these will help members understand GFI/Ford valves and regulators
    Attached Files

Re: GFI Regulator and valve pictures

Where can I get a replacement valve for my ford? I have heard of replaceing it with a Manuel valve. Where can I buy one of these. I also need to get my hands on the tool that bleeds the tank. Can someone point me in the right direction

Comment

Check with Hal for valves
      According to GFI/Ford, If you vent the tank with the manual over-ride tool you can not re-use the valve (you screw up the solenoid valve seat and it will probably leak)
      The manual over-ride tool was part of the Ford CNG special tool kit, I made my own with some part from an old ford fill valve and a 1/4" bolt -- the length is critical

Make sure you follow established procedures and safety protocol when/if you vent a CNG cylinder

Larrycng

Comment

sorry to be a new guy but who or where is Hal? Do you have some contact info? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kneticcrx View Post
          sorry to be a new guy but who or where is Hal? Do you have some contact info? Thanks
          Hal is cnghal. You can send him a private message (pm) with specific questions for him. You can find him and send him a pm by finding him in the directory.

Comment

Larry,

Can the cylinder be vented by energizing the solenoid and properly grounding the cylinder? I have a cylinder leaking where the valve screws onto the cylinder. I need to remove the valve and replace the O-ring. Do you know what the torque value is when screwing the valve back into the cylinder? This is a 2001 Ford with Type I Faber cylinders and GFI solenoid valves

Comment

The cylinder should grounded and the gas vented through an apropriate vent line so that it enters the atmosphere above the height of the vehicle and any personnel in the area. There should be a safety primeter of 150 ft radius around the vehicle and the ground rod shoul be 8 ft in the ground. The ground wire should be 3 gauge. Most of this is from CGA C-6.4. You need read up on the process, if you have not had any training and be darn careful

Sorry to not go into fuel detail, but there safety issues.

Larrycng

Comment

I understand the venting process.

My question is why not just energize the solenoid on the cylinder instead of purchasing a special tool?

My other question is what is the torque setting for the GFI valve when screwed into a type I cylinder?

Thanks,

Philip

Comment

I would drive the vehicle till its almost out of fuel and wait till it dies out. At least you can get the pressure down to 100 psi or so. Joe

Comment

Larrycng et al: I too have a shorted out type "B" valve on my 99 Ford f 250 dedicated cng. The tank fills up along with the two other functioning tanks to 3000#, but the failed solenoid will not open to vent, so per Larry's special venting tool .. can I take the hex nut off the replacement B valve .. add a 1/4 threaded bolt, and slowly depress the inner plunger ... avoiding the immediate loss of approx 6 gallons of cng .. and allow for a long and safe venting?? and then reassemble the replacement (ebay used ) B valve and install?? thanks, Ed

Comment

Ed, that tool was made from a defueling bypass valve from old ford fill valve. The plastic seat was removed and the bolt was brased in place being careful not to mess up the seal in the "nut". You need to make sure that the "1/4 bolt" is the correct length and that in is backed out befor inserting the tool into the valve a tightening it down. I was able to make it because i had "factory manual over-ride tool" to compare mine with and a cut-a-way valve to make sure it was the correct length. Make sure you use a "vent stack" (as per NFPA 52 and CGA C6.4), that is properly grounded.

Also make sure the valve is properly torqued and all "O" rings are properly seated and sealing. Check for leaks!

Larrycng

Comment

Dear Brothers,
                        I'm the research Scholar from india working with CNG as a fuel in engines. I have a GFI pressure regulator with model number GFI P214-100. I need some installation catalogue for this pressure regulator. I will be very thankful for the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X