X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eloo
    started a topic Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip

Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip

Now that the Guymon, OK CNG station is open, I've been thinking about taking a 2 week vacation and visiting an aunt (I've never met) who lives in Pennsylvania. Maybe also visit Gettysburg.

I think I may have found a viable route (see attached... I'll need to check on the issues highlighted in yellow).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, especially for stops along the way. Otherwise it'd be a very long boring drive... I'll check for Diners, Drive-ins & Dives on the route. Any ideas on sightseeing or dining destinations along the way will help break up the drive. Gary and I both have National Park passes, so we'll probably plan for some stops there too.

if any other NGV'rs want to meet up along the way, that be great too!

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
    Evelyn

For those without Microsoft Excel, get your free reader at
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=10

Eastbound Route (29 Jul 2012).jpgWestbound Route (28 Jul 2012).jpg2 Week Cross Country GX Planning (29 Jul 2012).xlsx
    Last edited by eloo; 09-13-2013, 02:55 PM. Reason: Update to CNG station stops; added Louisville, KY to route; remove Trinidad POC

• Curtis
    replied
    Re: Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip

Awards and recognition were the theme of the day at AV Clean Cities Spring Stakeholder Meeting at The Proud Bird Restaurant, beside LAX on April 24th. Everyone worked really hard to make this trip a sussess. Our only regret is that Gary could not be there and Ev was out of the area. I'll hold yours Ev. You can pick it up at the Cruise-In in June, unless we can connect sooner. CNGCHat was represented by Curtis Martin, John Mitton, Bill Stallman (300mileclub,) John Fischbeck (Jetboat Johnny,) and Ron Orr (Jenki-Putnik.)
    389.JPG520.JPG353.JPG424.JPG098.JPG525.JPG432.JPG245.JPG552.JPG
    Last edited by Curtis; 04-28-2013, 12:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eloo
    replied

Hi Gang!

Thanks all for the kind words and sympathy. I'm doing OK given the circumstances. Taking care of all the stuff Gary did (getting taxes done and bills paid) is keeping me busy. But it's still hard to believe he's really gone. Dang, no more sleeping on road trips. And it took me so long to get him off his Cadillac CTS kick.

I regret I won't be able to attend the Spring stakeholder event on April 24th (I already had plans to be in Cabo San Lucas).
    But I am planning to attend the Cruise-In in June, and will hopefully see many of you there.

Again, thanks for the support, and if anyone's interested, they can check out Gary's memorial video on his facebook page, along with a clip from his early acting days.

Lots of Hugs,
    Ev

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

I am extending an invitation to those CNGChat members who responded to the Cruise-In request to the Odyssey Day on the Pier event in Santa Monica, where we launched the road trip, to attend my Spring stakeholder event and award ceremony for the sponsorsand support crew, who made the event possible.

The event will be held at The Proud Bird Restaurant, 11022 Aviation Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045. 310.670.3093, on Wednesday, April 24th, 2013 from 11am to 3pm. I appreciate those of you who came to support me and the Corbitt's on this historic road trip.

Lunch will be served during the event, so bring your appetite. You must RSVP by going HERE: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5YWR73K.

John Mitton and I will both be there, so I hope you can find the time to come and visit us at the event. Dress will be business casual.

I will be announcing the next leg of the Green Across America CNG Road Trip at the event.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

I added the date to the notice of Gary's funeral service.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

At Evelyn's request I am posting the info for Gary's services. Evelyn has made many friends in the CNG community here in CNGChat and Gary has earned his 21 gun salute from CNG'ers across this nation. Please RSVP, if you plan to attend, by way of an email, to Ev (member name eloo.) elcorbitt@yahoo.com.

For those not already aware, Gary Corbitt passed away last Monday evening from a heart attack.

His memorial service will be held at

Green Hills Memorial Park - Saturday, March 30th, 2013
    27501 S Western Ave
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275

Viewing & Visitation: 9:00 - 2:00 pm
    Memorial Service: 3:00 - 4:00 pm

Reception 5:00 pm Location to be determined
    Please RSVP "Yes" or "No" on attending the reception so we can get a headcount.
    Last edited by Curtis; 03-22-2013, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Wagner
    replied
    Re: Snowing!

Very sad to hear of Gary's passing and Evelyn's loss. I enjoyed meeting them in St. Louis, and was glad to share a bit in their adventure.

Leave a comment:

• 300mileclub
    replied
    A bitter-sweet end to a 1000 mile journey...

Evelyn shared with me how grateful she was to have the time to travel with Gary since last fall due to a layoff. Not only across the country and back, but they had been to Tahoe the week before that trip. They were now making their first trip in a GX to Washington when they stopped in Chico to spend the night. They planned to fuel that evening and, again in the morning after the tank had cooled to get the extra 3/4 to 1 gge to drive the pass -- likely at 70 mph the way Gary did the Denver Rockies!

She shared that he had enjoyed one of his favorite meals...iceberg wedge with blue cheese & a NY steak...but he would not make it through the evening as we've now learned.

They had planned visit with my wife and I, so we learned of the change of plans that night. Evelyn professes to love traveling and shopping -- but she is also adept at handling the tough things life throws our way and had everything all taken care of before I arrived. So our visit in Chico was brief and we each fueled at the CNG station and headed in our respective South and North directions home. The skies were restless with rain and wind on the way back as I listened to the (whole) album "Awakened" by Ian McIntosh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcxrOa8iQb0

Oh, and Curtis - what a marvel the Honda GX is as a transportation machine-even on short notice. Salem to Chico in 10 hours of continuous operation along some of the most isolated roadways in the nation. 1022 miles. 47 mpg. $25 in fuel Roundtrip.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied
    Re: Snowing!

The CNG Road Trip continues to live on beyond the Coast-To-Coast trip. I have purchased the car from Honda in order to keep it on the road and keep the buzz going. The car will be featured at the Green California Summit, in Sacramento, CA April 17th - 19th, 2013 and I will be delivering an overview of the successful of Gary & Evelyn's historic trip across our nation. Those in and around the Sacramento are invited up to see me and take a picture of yourself with the car. I'll even take the photo for you.

Now that our own Bill Stallman (300mileclub) has worked out fueling in the northern reaches of the great northwest, I'm thinking to put the car back on the road and do the first Mexico to Canada CNG Road Trip up through California.

Unfortunately, Gary Corbitt, who was going to drive the road trip car to a second historic level of achievement, won't be making the trip. It is with the deepest of heartfelt regrets that I must let you know that Gary passed away on March 18th, 2013 in Chico, CA, while on his own CNG road trip to Washington State, where he planned to retire. He is survived by his wive Evelyn and will be honored by the entire CNG community for his part in raising national awareness for natural gas as a vehicle fuel. Gary was a friend, a true believer in CNG vehicles and one heck of a CNG Ambassador.

We love you Ev, so let us know if there is anything we can do in the days and weeks ahead to ease your burden.
    Last edited by Curtis; 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

Try this link for the Birmingham story.

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2012...make_stop.html

http://www.birminghamtimesonline.com...ines&Itemid=95

Leave a comment:

• snewman24
    replied

Originally posted by CNGLO View Post
    Link does not work.
    http://www.birminghamtimesonline.com...ines&Itemid=95

Leave a comment:

• CNGLO
    replied

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
    An additional link to media exposure from Alabama Clean Cities Coordinator, Mark Bentley. Thanks, Mark.

Birmingham Times
    Link does not work.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

An additional link to media exposure from Alabama Clean Cities Coordinator, Mark Bentley. Thanks, Mark.

Birmingham Times

Leave a comment:

• John Mitton
    replied

I see Evelyn and Gary posted photos and comments of many of the stations to the www.cngprices.com map as well. Thanks for updating this online resource!

Leave a comment:

• Ron Wagner
    replied

Thanks. I am bragging about your trip on by blogging to various groups.
    All the best,
    Ron

Leave a comment:

Working...
X