X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip

Originally posted by KSneedsCNG View Post
    Fabulous idea and likely the MOST PROMINENT Advertising for CNG vehicles that has been done in many years!! Way to go Evelyn!!

Only thing I can think of was VW promotion where they had a vehicle just full of cng tanks and range of over 1,000 miles that made a cross-country trek a couple years ago.

With Evelyn being one of few women on CNGChat . . . and obviously an avid CNG driver . . . this could do more for CNG sales of Honda Civic GX's (especially to women) than any of Honda's advertising efforts!!

Would also recommend all the Facebook, YouTube, etc techie advertising that can be extracted from this effort!!
    Um, I think you guys may be overemphasizing this trip just 'cuz I'm a gal. I'm not exactly model material.
    I just like to travel and shop (not necessarily in that order), and cheap fuel helps me do that.
    But I did get my GX in back in 2008, after seeing the Pickens Plan (see www.pickensplan.com) and agreeing with his points.
    My Honda GX (built in Ohio) helps the local economy and the tourism industry.

Snow doesn't bother me. I did a road trip to West Yellowstone, MT, last February with my girlfriend, to do Yellowstone's Trail of the Wolf on snowmobiles. It was a blast! My Suburban gasoline costs ran about $400 (refueled at Costco's along the way... great value food court). I think using the GX would have been about $150. My GX would have needed chains to make it all the way though. I had to use 4-wheel drive to make the last hour of that trip (snow chains would have taken longer).

I have 2 weeks paid vacation. Whatever fits and helps get me to more travel and shopping destinations, now and in the future, is my goal.
    I'm working with Curtis on whatever is meaningful.

Next year, tax-free shopping in Portland, OR?

Ev
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:10 PM. Reason: Added reason for getting the GX
    White '09 GX

Comment

Cable type chains should work on a Honda, just make sure you have the bungee thingies on them and you would be fine.
      I may be able to go on this road trip, It could be a great adventure!
      Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:10 PM.
      BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by jetboatjohnny View Post
        Cable type chains should work on a Honda, just make sure you have the bungee thingies on them and you would be fine.
        I may be able to go on this road trip, It could be a great adventure!
        Great! The more, the merrier! Welcome aboard!
        Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:11 PM.
        White '09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by jetboatjohnny View Post
          Cable type chains should work on a Honda, just make sure you have the bungee thingies on them and you would be fine....
          Cable chains are AWESOME, and they do work on all manner of vehicle that you don't typically see in the snow... from experience... '78 vette, Supra turbo, and an '87 Accord, about the same size as the current generation Civic

Cheers!
          Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:11 PM.
          2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
          Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
          Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
          Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Here's a great graphic of the eastbound route that 300mileclub provided. Also some snapshots of the latest routes in work. Will have to bypass Memphis since no public fueling stations there, but I would like to take Gary to visit Nashville. Westbound seems a bit long and after checking the drive time, might need to be altered (wish I had more time off).

Public station at Las Vegas, NM is still down (no money to fix). Pioneer Natural Resources has a private station at Trinidad, CO. and they very supportive.
            Correct me if wrong, but I believe they're the only private station on the list.

All comments, suggestions and inputs welcomed! Thanks, gang!
            Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:11 PM. Reason: Attachments moved to Post #1 for ease of reference
            White '09 GX

Comment

Coast-to-coast website name, publicity...

Unlike the 1990's cross country trips using CLEAN (Air) in their names, the name for a trip today would probably have GREEN in it somewhere. Other possibilities for a website name for posting trip updates:

cngacrossamerica
              ngvacrossamerica
              seatoshiningseabycng
              drivetoindependence

The last one moves away from the alternative fuel theme to emphasize the abundance of natural gas available for the transportation sector. The trip could finish in Philadelphia due to its connection with independence:

"The Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776 most likely in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at the Pennsylvania State House which was later renamed Independence Hall."

Here is a .pdf with an example of a trip write-up for a recent CNG drive:

http://www.cngnow.com/Blog/Post.aspx?ID=33

A sample "press release" for the end of the trip could be as simple as this example from a 2011 trip. A dignitary would need to be invited. Allie driving solo in a truck having a 1000 mile range was not typical for NGV's:
              The Tulsa Flyer Ford F-250 CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) vehicle will complete 3,000 mile journey from Santa Monica, California to Washington D.C. on October 26, 2011. This 1998 modified Ford F-250 will become the first natural gas vehicle in history to drive from the Pacific to the Atlantic proving the viability of Natural Gas Vehicles (NGV).

Come to House Visitor Center on Thursday, October 26th to see the Ford 250 Tulsa Flyer and its driver Allie McHughes. Representative John Sullivan (R-OK-01) is planning to great the Tulsa Flyer team at approximately 12pm.

Comment

Since I decided to go CNG for my daily commute in 2006 and finally convinced my wife to let me buy a NGV in 2007, I have often reflected on stories of my grandfather and his brothers helping to guide a company La Salle through the San Bernardino Mountains on a cross country record setting drive. My mother remembers that this happened somewhere between 1915 and 1920. My mother's memory of the events date must be incorrect since the La Salle was a GM product and this brand seems to have been made from 1927 to 1941.
                As the story goes, my great uncle and grandfather met the company car in Barstow or Victorville and drove as the pilot car to Ontario or there abouts. The company driver would wave at my great uncle and grandfather in the pilot car and they took this to mean speed up, when in fact the company driver was hoping to slow the drive down a bit. The company driver was reported to be shaken when they finally stopped in Ontario, or there abouts.

I watched Horatio's Drive, a Ken Burns PBS film. http://www.pbs.org/horatio/about/ and though you all might appreciate this.

Quote "In the spring of 1903, on a whim and a fifty-dollar bet, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson set off from San Francisco in a 20-horsepower Winton touring car hoping to become the first person to cross the United States in the new-fangled "horseless carriage." At the time there were only 150 miles of paved roads in the entire country, all of them within city limits. There were no gas stations and virtually no road maps as we know them today. Most people doubted that the automobile had much of a future. Jackson's trip would prove them wrong."

The more things change the more they are the same..

Eloo, do you need pilot cars to guide you?

Chris
                Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I think we have decided on "Clean Across America & Back 2012" as the [tentatively] official title for this epic adventure.

If any of our members are interested in providing any type of material support, depending on the resources available to you, or your company would like to learn more about sponsorship opportunities, please email me at cm224@juno.com.

We will develop a FaceBook page for the event, as well as a web page specially designed to provide the latest information throughout the planning & execution of this project. We encourage everyone to provide suggestions, input and ideas that will make this a one-of-a-kind endeavor.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

I'm not a facebook sort, is there some way to leverage CngChat or CngPrices?

Thanks

Chris

PS if FB is what is needed then I'll have get an account, and thats is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                      Eloo, do you need pilot cars to guide you?

Chris
                      Hey Chris,

With GPS and all, I don't think it will be too much of a problem finding my way, but greeting parties would certainly be welcomed where stations are not the easiest to find, or may be down unexpectedly. Curtis is talking about a daily blog/tweet to keep folks up-to-date.

I'm not much on Facebook or Twitter either, so I guess I'm gonna' have to learn real quick.

BTW - Love your family's legacy.

Best Regards,
                      Ev
                      Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM.
                      White '09 GX

Comment

The event will be tied into National Alternative Fuels Odyssey Day 2012 events across the country in coordination with West Virginia State University, as well as Clean Cities Coalitions in various cities throughout the country.

The “Clean Across America & Back 2012" CNG Road Trip will be promoted through:

· National press releases
                        · Top online industry publications
                        · A dedicated webpage and blog
                        · Live weekly coverage on AV Clean Cities Radio
                        · Ongoing announcements, planning and member involvement on the www.CNGChat.com website, in the “Road Trip Reports” forum(13,000+ members)
                        · Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites
                        · National press op at the national launch event for National Alternative Fuel Vehicle Odyssey Day 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana, where they will address the press and attendee’s.
                        · Participation in regional Odyssey Day events coordinated by Clean Cities Coalitions at various points across the country.
                        · Participation in local CNG related events & activities along the route, such as the Grand Opening of a new public access CNG station in Philadelphia and a regionally publicized press event at a natural gas drilling operation in Colorado.

Though the trip will be centered on a single CNG powered Honda Civic vehicle, because CNGChat.com has over 13,000 registered members, there is an opportunity for this to grow into a caravan of CNG vehicles throughout various stages of the trip.

The Event will launch from the Los Angeles basin (location to be determined) on the West Coast, possibly Long Beach, CA, or Torrance, CA at an Odyssey Day 2012 - Press Event. The duo will arrive in Indianapolis, Indiana on October 18th at the national launch event for National AFV Odyssey Day 2012 and conclude the Eastward leg of the journey in Pennsylvania, at another press event, put on by the PA Clean Cities Coalition, to be held at the Grand Opening of a public access CNG station.

If you have questions about how you may become involved in the Clean Across America & Back 2012 CNG Road Trip, please contact me as soon as possible.

Comment

Warm, dry conditions according to Farmer's Almanac for Colorado week of Oct 20

Annual Weather Summary: November 2011 to October 2012
                          Winter temperatures will be above normal, especially in the south, with the coldest periods in early and late December and mid- and late February. Precipitation and snowfall will be above normal in the north and below normal in the south. The snowiest periods will occur in early November, September and October will be slightly warmer and drier than normal.

Comment

Ev & Gary are going to be on Clean Cities Radio today (7-19-2012) at 11am (PST) be sure to call in and let them know we are all behind them! I also tracked down Mark Looper, who made this epic journey way back in 1998 and he will also be on the show offering his uniqu perspective. In fact, Mark was the original "Clean Across America & Back" road trip that we are honoring by making this the "Clean Across America & Back 2012" road trip.

Listen here: www.blogtalkradio.com/cleancities
                            Call in # 646-200-0100

Comment

I have Made this a "Sticky Thread" so it will remain at the top, thereby being easier for everyone to find.
                              Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Gary, Evelyn,
                                Great radio show Thursday. Looking forward to hearing about trip as it progresses.

John
                                Last edited by Curtis; 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X