Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special refueling cards - where required, have one, need one?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special refueling cards - where required, have one, need one?

Hey gang,

Some CNG stations require special access cards for payment. This is due to the fact that many stations are owned and operated by private or government fleets who provide public access as a courtesy, not a business model. And, these fleets need card systems to track and control individual driver fuel usage.

I'm going to take a stab at listing stations which do not accept cash/check, Visa or Mastercard. Please post additional ones and I will update this top post accordingly. The best resources is www.cngprices.com for comments and phone numbers to call ahead.

This thread is also the place to let others know if you:
    • have one of these cards and are OK with members contacting you to borrow it, or
    • need one of these cards along with specific dates and locations so as others might contact you to help out in planning the trip.

OK, please help me update this list:

New York
    Clean Energy stations in upstate NY require the Clean Energy or NYS card
    Clean Energy stations elsewhere in NY require Keyspan

Illinois
    Gas Technology Institute requires Fuelman (but its 24/7). As this is essentially your only station in the Chicago area plan ahead!

Missouri
    St. Louis / Shrewsbury LaCleade Gas requires Fuelman and is only open during normal business hours. As there are no other stations for hundreds of miles plan ahead!

Oklahoma
    Tulsa Gas has its own card, stop in during business hours to set up. Great fills here compared to others in area

Colorado
    All Clean Energy stations in the Denver area excepting the airport require a special Colorado-specific CE card

Northern California
    All PG&E stations require the PG&E card, which requires training as part of the process to obtain.

Re: Special refueling cards - where required, have one, need one?

Contact me via PM if you need to borrow my:
    Fuelman, Clean Energy, Colorado-specific Clean Energy

Must be CNGchat member for at least 3 months with 10 or more posts.
    Last edited by John Mitton; 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Does the ce card save you anything over the pump price?
      sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
      SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
      2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
      1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
      2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

No, same price for low volumes such as I signed up for.

Comment

PG&E only requires 'proof of' training. They sent me cards based on the training I received when my Phill was installed.

Anyone can borrow my PG&E card.
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Just a sample of one customer and quite old... Way back in 2000 we needed a card for the CE stations in AZ, at that time there was a suposed $50 fee to get the card/account established (at least on paper, the application noted the fee; I asked about it, but this application fee was not collected or required for me to get to get two cards attached to one account). The account was "tied" to a credit card and hit for I believe $50 a shot, a credit balance was maintained on the account and they sent monthly statements out. I don't recall how long this was done, but CE eventually went to regular credit cards within a few years.
            Last edited by John Mitton; 02-04-2012, 10:57 AM. Reason: Removed cngacrossusa's quoted rant
            2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
            Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
            Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
            Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Planning road trip - Oaklahoma to Los Angeles. Need help . . .

Need help. I'm planning to travel from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles in my new Civic. I'm looking for stations on Highway 40 between Clinton and Albuquerque. And from Albuquerque to Barstow. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Re: Planning road trip - Oaklahoma to Los Angeles. Need help . . .

Sorry, there just aren't any. You will need to have the GX towed or transported to cross those 'dead zones.'
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

Ah, but you didn't say "when" you're going. www.cngprices.com has the stations on I 40 except for gaps at Winslow AZ and Amarillo TX. Use "ANGH" (for America Natural Gas Highway) in the search tool on cngchat to locate this month's post about CLEAN ENERGY to see charts showing these two stations will be done in 2012.

Comment

Doesn't matter 'when' you go. ANGH is LNG according to its press release. No mention of CNG or automobiles, just LNG and trucks. And, if the stations are more than 230 miles apart, the GX is out of luck anyway.

"The route plan for the first phase of 150 new LNG fueling stations for America’s Natural Gas Highway (ANGH) was unveiled today by Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (Nasdaq: CLNE), the leading provider of natural gas fuel for transportation in North America. The company has identified 98 locations and anticipates having 70 stations open by the end of 2012 in 33 states."
                    Last edited by freedml; 01-31-2012, 09:05 AM.
                    02 GX
                    01 GX
                    03 Crown Vic
                    06 GX
                    Home Fueler

Comment

Sun Metro unwilling to help fuel cars in El Paso, TX

Sun Metro's 31 Jan 2012 reply to public fueling requests:

We are asked all the time by for-profit companies and private citizen's if they could refuel at our L/CNG facility. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to perform retail refueling for the following reasons:

First, by being a government funded agency, we are tax exempt for the fuel we purchase. Because of that exemption classification, we would be in violation of our exempt status both with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) if we provided retail refueling without having paid a fuel tax.

Second, our L/CNG refueling facility is not readily accessible from a public street and would require customers to "drive on our bus parking lots" while daily transit activities are occurring. Because we are a 24/7 operating facility and have bus and support vehicle traffic on the bus parking lots 24 hours each day, the liability of having retail refueling vehicles mixed with our daily operations vehicles would be logistically challenging and pose an unnecessary risk.

Third, we do not have our fuel dispensers routinely calibrated by the Department of Agriculture as other public retailers are required to do when selling fuel to the public. This requirement is to ensure that when you pay for a gallon of fuel, you actually receive a precise gallon of fuel.

Finally, while in the future and at our new maintenance and operations facility we believe we will be providing retail CNG refueling, at this time the City of El Paso is not prepared to take on that responsibility.

Regards, Eva Ruybe ruybeex@elpasotexas.gov

The Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) Program, established under the Intermodal SurfaceTransportation Efficiency Act of 1991, covered 80% of the construction costs of the LNG/CNG fueling facility at Sun Metro.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/sunmetro_cs.pdf

Sun Metro's constraints are not show-stoppers. The same situation of the public (Fed tax money) funding these stations only to have the bureaucrats decide the public can't use them has been the problem with the CNG fueling gap in Salem Oregon on the north/south interstate 5 corridor as well.

Comment

Re: Sun Metro unwilling to help fuel cars in El Paso, TX

Not only are they not show stoppers, they are conditions which many L/CNG dispensers overcome every day, especially when government (our) money paid for most of the installation cost. I've been to dispensers which are located deep in the bowels of bus yards and, in the case of PG&E, far from the entrance in their service center yards. They generally don't even have signage to lead you to the dispenser -- you either ask someone or wander around until you find it on your own. I'm not aware of any problem with this method, although a couple of signs would make life a lot easier the first time you visit one of these sites.
                        02 GX
                        01 GX
                        03 Crown Vic
                        06 GX
                        Home Fueler

Comment

Re: Sun Metro unwilling to help fuel cars in El Paso, TX

Hi there everyone!

I am making a trip to Northern California from Southern California at the end of this week to move my Honda Civic GX to the Bay Area.

I realize that I need a PGE card, and have sent an application in 7 days ago. PGE hasn't replied to me yet, via mail, e-mail, or telephone.

I am getting pretty anxious/desperate to have my hands on a PGE card to make the trip up North.

I want to ask, if any of my fellow CNGchatters are willing to lend me their card so that I can make the trip up to the Bay Area. I only need it for the road trip up, as I am keeping the car in the Bay Area for the next few months.

I am currently in Oakland, CA and could meet locally to get the card, or I will be in Pomona, CA at the end of this week to move the car to Northern CA.

If anyone is able to lend it to me, I would be so very grateful. Of course, I will try to contact Adam from PG&E again on Monday to see what progress has been made.

-Danny

Comment

Sharing home fuelers starts for EV charging - time to revive CNG "railroad" concept?

A mobile app for CNG refuelling from a network of home fuel appliances could be modelled from this example:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/07...charge-trucks/

...What public charging station? There are about 1,300 nationwide. More are coming. Slowly, but surely. In the meantime, you can find a Good Samaritan using the PlugShare smartphone app...

Comment

Good Luck if you have to deal with PG&E. I have had an account and been receiving monthly billing notices for 6 months, but still no luck getting hold of the guy to schedule "training" and get my card. He just doesn't return calls.
                              I am cancelling that account out of pure frustration.

Comment

Working...
                              X