Coast to Coast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coast to Coast?

I'm considering a leisurely trip across the country in a 2008 Civic GX from LA to NJ (one way, leaving the car there), with some tourist stops. On paper it seems to work, with the longest fuel gaps coming after Denver/Pueblo/Albuquerque, depending on the route. AAA card in the wallet of course.

Should I be very worried about bad gas, low pressure or down stations? Or should I be more worried about possible mechanical breakdown where CNG mechanics are scarce?

There are three routes with CNG fuel to cross from the west to the midwest. Interstate 80 following a route through Denver and North Platt, NB. Interstate 70 through Denver, Trinidad CO, and Guymon OK. Or Interstate 40 through Lake Havasu City, Williams, Winslow, Albuquerque, and Amarillo.

It is helpful to make use of hypermiling skills as mentioned in the posts: slower speed, no A/C, 2500 max rpm on grades, don't carry excess weight, and fully inflated tires. I have never called ahead to check station availability. The biggest uncertainty is whether the debit or credit card used will authorize the fuel purchase at the big truck stops which are expecting 100gge fills of $300+. A hold is placed on the card for the large amount even though the purchase is less than 10 gge. The bank credit card service phone number and number displayed near the CNG dispenser at the station can usually clear the problem at the time of use - I haven't ever called ahead. I would rely on the Interstate 70 route foremost, but prefer the Interstate 40 route. The longest stretch between stations is less for the northern most route through North Platt NB (229 mi), and highest for Interstate 40 (289 mi).

The 2008 Civic is an excellent choice for the drive.

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/g...las-to-phoenix

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/o...i-40-westbound

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/o...-fueling/page3

Comment

Thank you 300mileclub! I think I had found most of those previous posts, but I appreciate the re-emphasis on the card hold issue, as that had faded to the back of my mind. I will re-read these in more detail. I even recall once I had some problems with a pump and after multiple attempts my credit card put a fraud hold on my card. Luckily I was able to clear it right away. So you never know. Since I have no deadlines to meet though I think I'll be able to stay relaxed.

Comment

Currently I driving from Vermont to California, about 900 miles in. Calling ahead while using cngprices.net has paid off... there were a few stations that were no longer there. And in Grand Rapids Mi, as you touched 300mileclub touched on, my private credit card wasn't accepted .

Comment

DTE is not very CNG friendly as it was years ago, Also it is hi priced Sign to find has been down for a long time.

Comment

not at all user friendly for cng fueling! When I asked about trouble shooting the customer service rep declared she didnt know they had pumps and that was via the number on the pump. The issue I am seeing now is in California a PG&E card is required at almost all stations

Comment

Note PG&E is only northern California; SoCal has lots of stations where a credit card is welcome.

Comment

The thing with PG and E is the utility requirement of current vehicle fuel system and cylinder inspection record. This is not a gov. requirement, it is PG and E policy.

Comment

Working...
                X