Winning Argument: Speeding Ticket Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning Argument: Speeding Ticket Help

Hi. I have a '99 Chevy Cavalier. It needed to rebuilt, of course, and ended up with some performance parts. Running on gasoline in northern California, I got a very serious speeding ticket coming downhill on a highway speed trap, even though it struggles on any uphill onramp on CNG. I've been looking for any numbers on BTU values to support my argument that running on gasoline after running on CNG is driving a car with very different performance. It's a long shot, but any help would be appreciated!

Re: Winning Argument: Speeding Ticket Help

Did the speedometer work?

Traffic school is an option (if not taken in last 2 years).
    Sold GX

Comment

Performance of CNG mode vs. gasoline mode is going to be a tough argument as you were clocked going downhill when engine performance is a non-issue.

Comment

If your jurisdiction allows a trial by declaration (and you exercise this option) you will frequently prevail as the LEO will usually neglect to respond. I would suggest this as your best option to beat the ticket if you truly were speeding.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...et-No-evidence
        "Actually what I would do is request a trial da navaro I believe its called. What it actually is, is a trial by mail. From what I have read the officer gets paid over time to go to the court house to plead agents you but when you do a trial by mail they don't get paid overtime to write up what happened according to them. Also its hard for them to remember what happened with out seeing you. How I remember it working is basically you explain what happen and the officer does the same and the judge can make a decision based on that, no court required. The best part about it is that if you do lose the trial by mail you get an appeal in which case you get a court date and another opportunity to plead your innocence.

I am going to stop there because I wouldn't want to give you wrong info, basically go to california.gov and look up the trial by mail, or google how to beat a speeding ticket. From the sounds of it you can prepare a nice case to fight this, especially if you use lots of numbers that prove your point.
        "

Comment

Has anybody ever tried the "trial by declaration" and if so what happened?
          Sold GX

Comment

I used that twice to great effect in larger cities with lesser tickets. Line drawings go a long way. HelpIgotaticket.com and Nolo give detailed, but conflicting advice. After meeting the judge, this time I'm going to hope the officer doesn't show up and prepare to cross-examine him. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Cool, if a no show and lack of prosecution, then case dismissed. I did that once with a speeding ticket by CHP over 20 years ago.
              Sold GX

Comment

I got a CHP ticket in San Diego and asked for a trial by written declaration. Speeding 85 in a 65

I sent in the following:

"I am not guilty of the alleged offense."

Signed, dated, sent.

Case dismissed. Got my bail back, thing disappeared.

It worked in my case. I have no idea what the mitigating circumstances were, so I just tell folks "cops hate essays"

My understanding is that if the Dec doesn't work, you can trial de novo and do it all over in person again, so it's a free "shot". Not sure if that's still the case -- this was several (8 or so) years ago.

$0.02

- Mike

Comment

Working...
                X