Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filling in Utah / Questar station info, Roadside Emergency Refueling etc.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling in Utah / Questar station info, Roadside Emergency Refueling etc.

Questar is the local natural gas utility for Utah and SE Wyoming. They have done a great job in building out an extensive network of 93 natural gas fueling stations of which 19 are public access. This is the second largest CNG refueling network in the nation. Questar's NGV page is here. You might also want to sign up for Questar's Twitter feed, which provides notifications when stations are down for maintenance or repair.
    http://www.twitter.com/questargascng

It used to be that rather than having separate 3000/3600 pumps, Questar would keep all stations at 3300 psi as a compromise for the two types of systems out on the road. Recently new dispensers have been added to most stations which provide both pressure options along with card readers to provide 24 hr availability.

On the Wasatch Front, if you run out of gas, try calling Teryl Gardner - Kwik Pik Locksmithing - 801-573-1295. As part of his road service work, Teryl can come out to your vehicle with a transfer hose for just a $30 fee and get you on your way!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Mitton; 09-11-2010, 11:08 AM.

Re: Questar station info

Thanks John for this information. I was able to see that they are
    opening a station in my town, which has been my major hesitation
    to getting a CNG car, which I am doing at this time.

Cathy

Comment

Re: Filling in Utah / Questar station info, etc.

I own a business in Delta, Utah and am interested in putting in a filling station . What should I do? robynehowell@yahoo.com
      Thanks, Robyn

Comment

Hope someone gives you some info. I have found it a mystery why more stations don't add cng, I have to wait sometimes for three vehicles to fill at the stations in Utah. I also make it a point to give the cng stations all of my beverage and snack business since they are likely not making any money on me with the CNG, I am sure others do the same.

More traffic at a station is good for business, right?

Utah actually lost a Sinclair CNG station near downtown recently. The guy shut it down because he said he made no money on CNG. I thought that was a strange business move with all of the added interest in CNG in the state.

Another anecdote. I spoke with a local mechanic in Utah County. He said he gets asked about CNG conversions EVERY DAY.

I get a dreadful feeling that the perfect storm might blow right over the state. Crazy interest in CNG, no vehicles, no stations.

Someone with a little vision, marketing, capital investment, less early stage greed, and quick execution could probably transform the transportation industry in Utah.

Comment

Driving between Spanish Fork and Murray:

Murray station was down today.
          Sandy station is still down.
          Flying J in Springville has one pump working.

Comment

Station equipment

Robyn,
            Try calling Gordon or Jim at Questar to see what they might suggest as to station equipment out there.
            http://questargas.com/FuelingSystems/NGV/ngv.html

Might also try SemiService, ask for Dave Duey. He was many years at ANGI and I think SemiService has actually been buying-up used stations... might have something on hand right now for you to buy and install.
            http://www.semiservice.com/index.php...ask=view&id=39

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Heard there is some big meeting in SLC at the head office on the 19th - anyone heard what issues are on the table for discussion?

Comment

I would be interested in going to the meeting on the 19th if it deals with filling stations. If anybody has any more details please let us know.
                Chad Nuesmeyer
                '08 XTerra - V6 | 2 - 10 gge | www.ngvdriver.com

Comment

Invitation-only

It is a private meeting of The New Car Dealers of Utah, hosted at Questar's offices. The topics include possible grants for dealership-sponsored refueling stations, ways to accelerate certification of conversion systems, etc.

My company was invited so I will try and post a meeting summary here for everyone to read sometime after the meeting.

Comment

My 2009 gx should be here in the next month or so. All the horror stories about Utah CNG infrastructure are giving me second thoughts. Unless there is a solid plan soon to improve the current situation I may either have to bail out of the sale or install a pump at my residence. Some of the shine of CNG is tarnishing lately.

Comment

Something I'd love to have asked at Tuesday's meeting:

Didn't we just have a price increase specifically to go towards building out better infrastructure? Questar's page states:

"The price of compressed natural gas for vehicles will have to increase ... order to cover the costs of new refueling capacity."

http://www.questargas.com/FuelingSystems/NGV/ngv.html

Did this increase go towards something else? Or is another increase planned for this purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by 2003GX View Post
                        Didn't we just have a price increase specifically to go towards building out better infrastructure? ... Did this increase go towards something else? Or is another increase planned for this purpose?
                        The increase we experienced on July 1st was only State Taxes. Please see the following state codes:
                        59-13-201 ( Rate -- Tax basis -- Exemptions -- Revenue deposited in the Transportation Fund -- Restricted account for boating uses -- Refunds -- Reduction of tax in limited circumstances. )
                        59-13-304 ( Exemptions from Special Fuel Tax -- Clean Special Fuel Tax -- Certificate required -- Fees for certificates -- Inspection of vehicles --Exemptions)

In addition to the price increase you experienced in July, Questar recently received approval for a rate increase... this should again increase the price at the pump somewhere in the range of 25 cents come October. So by the end of October the price of CNG at the pump will be somewhere near $1.08-1.15... (I haven't actually sat down and figured out the exact numbers on the rate increase... has anyone else?)

When Questar speaks about the price of compressed natural gas for vehicles needing to increase in order to cover the costs of new refueling capacity, they are usually referring to the 50 cent federal incentive. Right now Questar passes the savings onto us (the consumers). The most likely scenario in the near future would be for Questar to stop passing this incentive on to us (it is intended to be used for infrastructure anyway!) If that were to happen, you can expect that the price of CNG would be at least $1.50 or so, but Questar would make about 50 cents per gge sold which would be earmarked for improving infrastructure. I think this is the most likely scenario, but Questar could certainly decide to increase rates by 25 cents, and continue to give us 25 cents off, or they could decide to increase rates in addition to taking back the 50 cent credit.... These are the decisions that need to be made, and as a community we need to make sure that we get in on the decision-making process as much as possible.

KIRK

Comment

have had my Honda GX for 1 1/2 weeks and have lost a lot of my enthusiam as well. Several filling stations have been down this past week and I was only able to get 1.3 gallons in both Murray and Orem, due to lousy pressure. I spoke to someone at Questar who basically said that's the way it is and if I didn't like it I should sell my car because as more cars hit the market it will only get worse
                          Dave

Comment

Use the higher-capacity stations

Orem and Murray are two of the lowest compression-capacity stations in the system. I never think of stopping there anymore.

Where possible fill at the following high-capacity stations:

* Springville Flying J
                            * Jordan School District 90th S.
                            * Questar HQ 1100 W. 200 S. (this is the best one of all, dual compressors, huge storage, 6 hoses, and right off the carpool exit!)
                            * University of Utah
                            * SLC Airport
                            * Clearfield

I understand Alpine School District has significant compression as well (once they get it up and running again).

Or, just get a FuelMaker like I did. We love it Full 3600 psi bars (250 mi range), two hoses (one for the kid car)... Wish the state would provide an incentive for these in addition to the Federal $1,000 credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jensen View Post
                              I have had my Honda GX for 1 1/2 weeks and have lost a lot of my enthusiam as well. ... and if I didn't like it I should sell my car
                              If your sole (or primary) reason for using NG is to save money you might be unhappy in the next few years. Most people equate time with money (due partly to old aphorisms ), and the inconvenience of having to go to certain stations and put up with low pressure adds to the "cost" of the fuel.

However, if you include other considerations (reduced foreign oil, reduced pollution, smaller carbon footprint) the value of NG compensates for the inconvenience. Many people these days treat some "inconvenient" behaviors such as sorting garbage for recycling as an investment that they hope will yield a return of different kind.

You might ask yourself all the reasons you bought your GX and then be content that your current effort and inconvenience will have a more than ample payback if we all just stick to the plan.

Don't worry, be happy!
                              Last edited by mecklen; 08-18-2008, 10:11 AM.
                              Robert '07 GX

Comment

Working...
                              X