Announcement

Collapse

Hey gang, CNGchat needs your help!

For over a decade we have enjoyed providing this little corner of the Internet for folks to discuss all things natural gas vehicles. It is the largest forum of its kind: with some 70,000 posts on over 11,000 topics. But with continued low gasoline & diesel prices and strong automaker support for electric vehicles, consumer interest in CNG has dropped considerably, and with it has visitor traffic here. As a result, Google ad revenues no longer cover hosting fees.

If you find CNGchat to be a useful resource then please consider making a modest donation to support keeping this remarkable pool of knowledge available to the alternative fuels community. Thanks!

See more
See less

CNG for Oregon - HELP!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG for Oregon - HELP!

CALLING ALL NGV TRAVELERS FROM CALIFORNIA TO VANCOUVER, B.C.

Here is an opportunity for each of us to urge the facilitation of using an existing private source and/or a halt to the closing of another public one in order to maintain a crucial CNG fueling link along the I-5 corridor in Oregon. I have contacted the key individuals and prepared a draft of what you might include in a personal note to these folks. Please take a few moments and join the push!

Mr. Jim Mann
    Bretthauer Oil Company
    453 SW Washington Street
    Hillsboro, Oregon 97123-3945
    http://www.bretthauer.com/
    503-648-2531

Dear Mr. Mann:

I would request that other options be explored for keeping open the public CNG fueling facility at the Pacific Pride station on NW Amberwood Drive in Hillsboro. As presently the only publicly available CNG facility between Medford Oregon and Tacoma Washington, it is a key link to natural gas vehicle motorists along the I-5 corridor. It also provides NGV fueling for State of Oregon in the Portland area, City of Hillsboro and as well as privately owned ones in the area.

I am a member of http://www.cngchat.com , an educated diverse support group (7000 + members) of NGV owners, conversion & service companies, dealers and public officials. Numerous ones have posted comments about traveling I-5 and grateful for the Hillsboro station that enables them to continue on. Without this station, an abrupt end will come to this possibility.

Respectfully,

Mr. Mike Hansen, Operations Manager
    Cherriots Salem-Keizer Transit
    555 Court Street NE, Suite 5230
    Salem, Oregon 97301-3736

HansenM@cherriots.org
    503-588-2424

Dear Mr. Hansen:

I am a member of http://www.cngchat.com , an educated diverse support group (7000 + members) of NGV owners, conversion & service companies, dealers and public officials.
    It has come to our attention that Cherriots has a CNG fueling facility for the fleet of NGV buses. As the only public fueling facility between Medford Oregon and Tacoma Washington is scheduled to close (in Hillsboro), we would respectfully request your consideration to avail the Cherriot’s facility for occasional fueling of private NGV’s.
    Numerous members have posted occasional reports of travel between California and Washington, fueling at the Hillsboro facility. Recently, one of our members discovered Cherriots and was helped out, sparing him running out of fuel.
    If an arrangement could be set in place for CNG fueling at Cherriots, it would fill the missing link along the I-5 corridor that is now much in need.
    It could be a cash only basis, and users would have to call ahead to schedule a convenient time so as not to obstruct normal operations.
    As a side note, public CNG fueling is provided at Rogue Valley Transportation and Jackson County Motor Pool in Medford. Cash only, Monday – Friday business hours.

Thanks for you consideration,

Respectfully,
    Last edited by cnguser; 12-10-2009, 04:46 PM. Reason: Spell correction
    '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
    '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
    FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Re: CNG for Oregon - HELP!

Hi CNGUSER :

I will send a polite Email to those two Gentlemen.

Thanks for tracking down the Contact information.

Stu Man

Comment

I will send e-mails to these two people. I have also contacted Northwest Natural Gas and Oregon DOT. No response from DOT but the gas co is looking into opening their pump across the street from Pacific Pride. It was a public pump at one time but closed to the public in 2001. Hopefully we can get something going, otherwise public CNG in Northern Oregon will be dead. I will let you know if I hear any thing.
      Thanks to all for your support.

Linda
      09 GX

Comment

My question is - where's Clean Energy and Trillium? This is a perfect opportunity for them to populate stations along the I-5, especially around Portland.

Opening up the Salem DOT to the public would provide the state with revenue, and it would cost them NOTHING to do so!

It would be awesome to drive the entire length of I-5 with an NGV.
        -----------------------------
        2003 Ford Crown Victoria CNG

Comment

Get Clean Cities involved. Your local Coalition is:
          Columbia-Willamette
          Coordinator:Matt Hale
          Phone:503-373-7560

Designation Date:11/10/94
          Boundaries:Oregon counties: Clackamas, Douglas, Josephine, Lane, Linn, Marion, Multnomah. Washington counties: Clark, Cowlitz, Lewis, Thurston.
          They can be a powerful ally in these types of matters. Their mission is to increase infrastructure and vehicles in their area. Also get in touch with your local Air Quality Management district. They usually have a lot of pull in their region. You want them on your side. Definitely should get to know them and make friends there.

I doubt the big boys, like trillium, or CE, would be interested without a fairly heavy cng fleet presence in the area. Best of luck with this. We'd hate to see you lose public fueling in your area, it would be a big setback. If anything, your region needs more stations.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

I tried to convince the taxi company I work for to convert our Crown Vics to CNG but the high conversion price shut the door on that one. I had Clean Energy willing to put in a public cng fueling station on our property in Downtown Portland, and sadly the Board didn't bite. I was shocked. Last I heard Clean Energy was talking to the airport and might re-open Northwest Natural Gas's old station in close-in Southeast Portland.

Maybe some more public support for a CNG station would help? In fact, it just might.

If you would like a CNG station at Radio Cab at 1613 NW Kearney, send them an email and let them know. Believe me, they have no idea you exist. My challenge is to dismantle that presumption.

Email gm@radiocab.net - He is in charge of the gas pumps.

Comment

hello all, I sent the e-mail message to Cherriots but I can't find an e-mail address for Betthauer contact. I live in Vancouver BC but am one of those occasional CNG travellers on the I5.

I really hope that the manufacturers get back into CNG soon and wish you all luck with getting access to public fuelling.

Comment

Hi johntodd :

In an effort to help our Oregon State CNG Brethren, I, too, sent an Email to Cherriots.

Like You, I couldn't find an Email address for the Bretthauer Oil Company folks, so I contacted them the old fashion way; by FAX.

The fax Number I used was 503-640-4518

Let us keep up the fight for what is right.

Stu Man

Comment

E-Mail contact for Bretthauer Oil Company is Jim Mann:

Jim@bretthauer.com

Sorry, I thought their web site info had a link for email, but guess they don't want to post that.
                  So I called and was given the above.

CNGUSER
                  FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

I just purchase a Used CNG bus to convert to a motor home.
                    I believe as the buses become available through auctions this will be a trend.
                    Being in Tacoma I have CNG.
                    however during November I trek to Calif and Los Vegas computer related shows.
                    So I am not sure that will influence the providers.
                    but I did send the emails
                    Last edited by BJFreeman; 12-26-2009, 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling
                    http://rvforum.free-man.com/rvforum

Comment

What type of Coach are you planning on converting? At least you have fuel for cooking, heating, and the gen set Think about joining FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association).

If you haven't converted a bus, you're in for a lot of work, frustration, and satisfaction -- been there and helped do that

Good Luck! and Happy New Year

Larrycng
                      F 890s

Comment

We had planned on using our Honda GX as a tow vehicle on our upcoming trip to Oregon by motor home.
                        But with the sad state of cng availability, I had better stick with a gas burner or rent a car to tour the coast line.
                        For 11 years I fought the hill's in the 60s & 70s in BC, Calif, Oregon & Washington hauling heavy equipment with my own rigs.

Now I want to take my wife back & say "honey" this where so & so happened. Yeah, this where I decided to buy a jake brake!!
                        Yeah this where I needed a jake brake. Yep, this where I got kilt from not having a jake brake.

Comment

If the motor home is gas or diesel, why not go ahead and tow the GX? There is CNG only along I-5 for now: Medford Oregon and Seattle Washington areas.
                          Also Vancouver, B.C.
                          For shorter trips away from the motor home in the GX you wouldn't need to be refueling - just fuel when you come to it on the main trip.
                          Or get one of those battery cars - seems that is the big push in Oregon for now, unfortunately...
                          FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by cnguser View Post
                            If the motor home is gas or diesel, why not go ahead and tow the GX? There is CNG only along I-5 for now: Medford Oregon and Seattle Washington areas.
                            Also Vancouver, B.C.
                            For shorter trips away from the motor home in the GX you wouldn't need to be refueling - just fuel when you come to it on the main trip.
                            Or get one of those battery cars - seems that is the big push in Oregon for now, unfortunately...
                            Medford,Oregon, yeah that's where the old logger called me a tourist in 64 for complaining about Siskiyou and my smoking brakes.

Comment

Grass roots efforts can get the job done

5 years after the Hillsboro (Portland) station closed, Lebanon (Albany) can now fuel nights/weekends in Oregon. I was so determined to see CNG made available to thru-state travelers between Puget Sound (WA) and CA that I moved to Oregon; provided a fuel-maker I wasn't using to the community college here that offered to install it; and checked with a liability attorney and the state fuel tax division to see that the paperwork was all ready to go to offer fuel to the public. The Lebanon site went up on cngprices this week.

This is a fueling unit I would have used in 2009 when the Salem transit company and gas utility were unwilling to provide fuel to an occasional car as had been customary where I lived in CA at the time. Even today when it's possible to fuel in Salem at the State Motorpool on weekdays, there are motorists who may have an out-of-fuel lamp heading north from Medford who can get enough gas to reach Salem. These are 5 hour runs north to Seattle or south to Medford. So, for someone driving on a weekend it is now possible to get a 6 hour fill from the fuel-maker in Lebanon at the Community College with a planned stay overnight to break up the long trip.

The CFN card lock fast-fill in Eugene has already been fueling vehicles as it is being tested out with the 1995 dispenser it came with. The new dispenser will be installed within 6-8 weeks at which time that truck stop will be added to cngprices. Trips up and down Interstate 5 from WA to CA will then be possible any day of the week at all hours. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X