Mahalo & goodbye to my CNG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahalo & goodbye to my CNG

Well, due to the limits I was facing on driving long distances, lack of mechanics, Washington's ridiculous $200+ on top of our regular state registration for zero emission vehicle, and recent steep hike in NG fuel prices, my little marshmallow just got traded in.

This forum has been such a great resource, thanks to all who helped my CNG journey, especially the amazing support of 300mileclub!

Maya
    '12 Civic GX
    Seattle, WA

What car did you replace CNG with (if any)? Yes, cheaper fuel price alone doesn't come close to justifying CNG for regular passenger car usage.
    Sold GX

Comment

Acura RDX with AWD for these winter mountain passes & large dogs. I doubt I'll ever leave the Honda family, brand dedicated

The GX was such a great deal with that fuel card, it was worth a shot. British Columbia closing some of their stations also affected my decision as I work from Seattle all the way to BC.

My first "luxury" car so it's a nicer turbo ride for my trips to Cali. I will miss that civic and being unique though!
      Last edited by starlitskies; 10-31-2015, 05:50 AM.
      '12 Civic GX
      Seattle, WA

Comment

RDX is nice and not too big. I thought new RDX was now a V6 (instead of turbo4).

Compact awd suv is growing in popularity fast, very useful. I had a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring awd, sold it to a family member that needed to replace worn out Subie.
        Sold GX

Comment

It's a couple years old, so it's still got the Turbo 4-cyl....I'm pleased, it kicks in beautifully on the hills and freeway on-ramps.
          I had a Forester and this is a much nicer for AWD & handling.

It has the same footprint as my GX, very compact for the interior space...and I must say it's amazing to have a trunk again.
          Last edited by starlitskies; 10-31-2015, 05:50 AM.
          '12 Civic GX
          Seattle, WA

Comment

I am about to go down this same path. After having a GX, four Bi-Fuel Cavaliers, a Bi-Fuel van and a 2013 Bi-Fuel Silverado I am about to hang it up. Because the fueling infrastructure (limited and unreliable) won't allow for long trips in a dedicated car I first got rid of the GX and went with Bi-Fuel. Of the four Cavaliers I owned, only one had some decent options (power windows, cruise control, side airbags, etc.) the rest were base models---not exactly what the wife wants to go to dinner in with friends. The van was a work van and suited for the job but was getting old with no Bi-Fuel replacement available. The Silverado on the other hand was fully loaded---one of a very few made in that configuration. However, the 6.0 liter engine was not up to the task of towing anything but a light trailer and the fuel economy was terrible on gasoline. Finally, the fuel price on the road for CNG (if you can find it near your route) is generally higher then gasoline which can be found on any street corner. So, I will retire my last Cavalier (which is my last CNG vehicle) next summer and replace it with a 2017 Volt when available. For now the cars have been replaced with a Tesla model S--still a range problem on long trips but reliable fueling (charging) infrastructure within the range of the vehicle. For longer range and towing a Duramax Diesel pickup replaces the CNG Silverado. The other cost that will go away is the maintenance of my three Fuelmakers and my Coltri MCH-5. At home the Tesla charges faster on a per mile basis at a lower cost then either my Fuelmakers or the Coltri with just a wall plug to maintain. It's been fun and a great learning experience but CNG never panned out the way I thought it would many years ago. Time to get off the ride.

Comment

I can understand Honda's reluctance to continue producing GX (CNG) if only selling less than 2000 units per year.

I only tolerate CNG for passenger car usage for following reasons:
              . main reason - white stickers for solo HOV lane access in California
              . 3rd car in household, no way I could tolerate or enjoy it as my only car
              . $2.44ish/gallon for CNG is fine around here where Chevron gasoline fluctuates between $2.50 to $4.00 over last couple of years in Silicon Valley
              . 3rd gen of GX (CNG) is reasonably pleasant to drive, safe and reliable
              . clean emissions too

Tesla is cool, but for me I can't justify a $90K commuter car. I test drove a Tesla S, wow it's quick. I'm a car buff and already have a Lexus IS350 and Benz C250 for automotive entertainment.
              Sold GX

Comment

Yep, my GX is now a part time car. With a 170k miles I'm using it a s a summer commuter for the wife. My daily driver is a new red Subaru Legacy AWD, 33 mpg

Comment

I now have 52K miles on my 2010 Civic GX purchased in summer of 2014. I will drive it as a commuter car until I retire.
                  Sold GX

Comment

Have been running CNG for ten years now in NY. Have saved over 50k in fuel costs.Compressing it at home for .50 GGE. Currently have several Honda GX, a dual fuel ford explorer , a dual fuel chevy malibu and currently dual fueling a 20 foot party boat with an inboard merc engine. I think more people should be doing this .....its a lot of fun!!!!!! picked up a couple of truck loads of use commercial fuelmakers........... I hope it lasts another ten years!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Unless you have your own gas well how do you compress at home for $.50 per GGE? My utility gas costs alone are around a dollar per GGE including taxes and meter charges. I have to add to that about $.25 per GGE just to cover electric power and maintenance reserve for the compressor(s). If I could do your numbers I would certainly revisit my decision to abandon CNG. At your numbers, CNG is very attractive (unless you have to use public fueling). It even throws the cost advantage to CNG over my electric vehicle. How do you do it?

Comment

Move to NY and hook up to NATIONAL GRID. My cost is $ .23 per therm (100,000 BTU) a GGE is 125.000 BTU. Delivery costs $ .03 per therm after the first 47 therms which I use up for home heat and hot water etc in the house anyway. Add your electricity for the compressor and you get to about $ .50 per GGE . Look it up there rates are on line! I am only running 2 out of the four compressors in the fuel maker because of my gas meter limit. Here is a picture of my original home made setup made out of an old Army surplus flame thrower compressor. Don't try this at home!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X