This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring/Update Your CA Clean Air Sticker Registration - Free & Easy

Many don't think about transferring their Clean Air Stickers over to their name when buying a used NGV. Here are some things to think about:
    1) Required by law
    2) You can be sited, just as if you had failed to transfer the vehicle registration
    3) If cited in an area where "Free metered parking" perks exist, the sticker registration card must be in your name to fight the ticket
    4) Old owners frequently clean out all the contents of the glove box and take the existing registration with them.

Transferring, or replacing a missing registration card is FREE and easy!
    Q: I acquired a vehicle with CAV decals and transferred it into my name. Do I also have to transfer the CAV decal ownership into my name?
    A: Yes. If you purchase a vehicle with existing decals, you must transfer the decals to your name using the Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) (PDF). There is no cost provided that all required CAV decals are present on the vehicle. You will be issued a new CAV decal ID card with your name once your CAV decal transfer application is processed.

Q: Can local
    DMV offices issue decals or decal ID cards?

A: No. Local DMV offices do not issue CAV decals nor can they print decal ID cards. All CAV decal applications must be mailed to the address shown on the REG 1000 (PDF) form.

Q: My name is misspelled on my CAV decal ID card or I have a new address or a new license plate. Do I need to notify DMV to obtain an updated CAVdecal ID card?
    A: Yes. You have to notify DMV by completing a REG 1000 (PDF) form if the information on the CAV decal ID card needs to be corrected (e.g., misspelling, new address and/or new license plate number). There is no fee required for corrections or updates and you will receive a new CAV decal ID card within 30 business days.
    Check the "Information Change/Update" box, state what is required, and indicate the reason (e.g., "I moved- Address Change Only") in the Statement of Facts section on the form.

Q: My name is misspelled on my CAV decal ID card or I have a new address or a new license plate. Do I need to notify DMV to obtain an updated CAVdecal ID card?
    A: Yes. You have to notify DMV by completing a REG 1000 (PDF) form if the information on the CAV decal ID card needs to be corrected (e.g., misspelling, new address and/or new license plate number). There is no fee required for corrections or updates and you will receive a new CAV decal ID card within 30 business days.
    Check the "Information Change/Update" box, state what is required, and indicate the reason (e.g., "I moved- Address Change Only") in the Statement of Facts section on the form.

Q: Does changing my license plate number and/or address on my vehicle registration also update the information for my CAV decal record?
    A: No. The process of changing the address for your decal record is a separate process. You need to complete a REG 1000 (PDF) form to change your address and to update the new license plate number on your CAV decal record. Refer to question 11 for change of address information.

Q: If I am stopped by law enforcement, what documentation do I need to show the officer for my CAV decals?
    A: You must present your current registration card and your CAV decal ID card.

Q: Is there a statutory limit for the number of white CAV decals (e.g., zero-emission-all electric vehicles) DMV can issue?
    A: There is no limit for the issuance of white CAV decals.

Q: Where can I find the Reg 1000 (PDF)?
    A: Click Here for the Reg 1000 (PDF)

Q: Can I fill the Reg 1000 form out online and print the completed form out?
    A: Yes, however the signature must be original, not typed in.

White CAV decals are issued according to the following criteria:
    • A vehicle that meets California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard. This includes certain zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs).
    • A 2004 model-year or older vehicle that meets the California ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal ILEV standard.
    • Certain Advanced Technology Partial Zero-Emission Vehicles (AT PZEV).

Last edited by Curtis; 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much for this! The last time I had my car on the lift I realized that the decals were starting to peel and fade pretty good. When I redo the paint on the car I will know where to get new decals, and I just printed it out to transfer and get my ID card... It's only been a year since I bought the car!

Comment

Working...
    X