Newbie looking for a CNG kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie looking for a CNG kit

I have a 2007 Ford Focus (2.0 4cyl - Duratec) and been looking for a CNG kit. I would like a EPA certified kit, but if not available I really don't care. Local CNG is available for $1.25 a GGE. My Focus gets good gas mileage, but still running CNG would save a few bucks. Any ideas or locations where I can purchase a kit would be great. I've looked at numerous links, but most of the companies are out of business or have no kits for my application

Re: Newbie looking for a CNG kit

2K0, if you want an EPA certified system for your car, it will never exist since your Focus is not new. I am not sure how many miles you have on your car, if it is over 100K you can look to the OUL category for a blessing on your conversion from the EPA. I feel that everyone who wants to convert should be able to....
    Last edited by younkin; 08-12-2011, 08:14 AM.
    Jim Younkin
    www.younkincng.com

Comment

I see you are in California. EPA rules don't apply, instead the California Air Resources Board has jurisdiction. Outside of California you could have a kit installed onto your 2007 vehicle and then run down to a lab for a tailpipe test (about $1500), send it into EPA along with a simple OBD scan tool report and you are done. You then could sell the same kit on the same model year vehicle to others as well.

In California, however for older vehicles converted to gaseous fuels the procedure is very complex and expensive. To my knowledge no one has ever done it as I estimated once it would cost at least $150,000 in lab fees.

Here is a link to the regulation. It was written in 1995 and still has reference to standards that no longer exist.
      http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...fuelsysreg.pdf

Here is a link to the group at CARB who administers this rule:
      http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/eo-b-c.htm

Good luck.

Comment

There is also another option.... go to www.ewsews.com they sell a DIY kit that you can install yourself. It will not be CARB/EPA certified, but if your plan is to save money on CNG and not worried about the certifications (I'm not) than this might be a idea. The kit in question can be certified in UTAH by a DIYer and you can have this kit installed as well. UTAH passed a law allowing registering your cars with the kit even though it does not have EPA certification. Calif seems to be more interested in lining their pockets with your cash for certification, it's not wonder the State is going broke. If you drive 20K miles a year the system will pay for itself in less than a year, but if you can find a certified CARB system to have install you payback will be over 300K miles....You can decide which route is better......Good Luck....

Comment

Newbie 2K07Ford_Focus I guess you will never see the post since your banned but if you do, keep searching Google....you will find the info your looking for....Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
          X