Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CNG Impossible to buy in Central Florida?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG Impossible to buy in Central Florida?

I just purchased a low mileage (23,000) 2003 duel-fuel Chevy Cavalier {CNG}. Calling around a lot of places I'm finding that using CNG is impossible (maybe good if you have it at home,,I don't). Any way around the lovely Satanists that own us? I know about the ripoff Alternative Fuel Permit it's Excuse for existence. Who fill's CNG in cars in Central FL? This Really, really got me mad as anything when I found out Chevy has been making these more than 12 years. The same type os Satanists who own oil will put a meter on your lungs and charge you for breathing. I researched so much on alt fuel and yet I "missed" this. No doubt why.

Re: CNG Impossible to buy in Central Florida?

Originally posted by aifam55 View Post
    CNG Impossible to buy in Central Florida?
    Affirmative.

It would appear that there is only 13 CNG stations in the whole state and they are all private access only.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/locator/stations/state

Florida is over-rated anyway .. move to Oklahoma where real CNG and Football is at.

:P
    Last edited by jblue; 08-25-2009, 10:11 PM.

“Innovation is driven by having access to things.” -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I know you are upset at the situation, but sit back and think about the real culprits before blaming big brother.

Sadly, the market is what had kept CNG quiet for so long. Gasoline has historically just been so inexpensive, it didn't make economic sense to use CNG unless mandated by regulations. As such, nearly all CNG prior to 5 years ago or so was relegated to government fleet use, where there were regulations requiring a certain number of alt-fueled vehicles. To be honest, CNG didn't start making sense for private use (where cost is the only REAL driving factor) until gasoline started getting more expensive. (Trivia note: In relation to inflation, 1999 actually had the cheapest gasoline prices in history). Trust me, if Chevy HAD tried selling that bi-fuel to the public 12 years ago, you wouldn't have bought one. It would have been cheaper to drive it on Gasoline, even IF you had a place to fill up the CNG tanks. Even then, as it is a savings per gallon, instead of per mile, it makes the most sense in vehicles with the worst mileage. This has kept CNG primarily in fleet use (mostly busses, street sweepers, and garbage collection), where the payoff is MUCH quicker (more gallons used).

For private use, there is a chicken and egg issue in a lot of areas of the country (such as Florida). Why would someone build a public fueling station with no customer base? Why would anyone buy a CNG vehicle if there is no fueling station? The real answer for you in the meantime would be a home fueling unit.

That, or move to Utah, Oklahoma, or California... plenty of stations to use...
      1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
      2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

I'd say for the last several years at least, the public would be very interested in duel-fuel. I never knew Chevy made these for years and I was actually looking into hybrids quite a bit. I don't have the natural gas in my area for residence so that's not an option for me. But there must be a way around this. RV dealers, marinas, buy a big tank, get it filled for a private supply?? I know some others might have a ideas. Also what about propane. I had some guy try to put propane in this. Of course I didn't allow that. Can this CNG setup be converted to propane easily?

Comment

Not any wasier to convert from CNG to propane, than it is to convert from gasoline to propane. If you really have very little natural gas in your area, then propane MAY be a better option for you.. if green is your goal... if cost is your goal, propane probably isn't much of an option (it is usually pretty close to the cost of gasoline, and will always be higer than natural gas, mostly because fo transportation costs). I believe www.technocarb.com has a decent selection of EPA certified propane conversions available.

Comment

Check out the City of Milton, the pump is located in the parking lot of the police station. They are nice folks.

Linda 09 GX

Comment

Tallahassee has a pump also (which is closer than Milton) but that is over 200 miles away. Well, this a totally dead issue then. Unless you have it in your residence don't bother. Besides, there is another angle they rip you off on ,,,,,the $191 yearly tag required to fill. Maybe when China takes over we may be granted a few freedoms. Done deal,,,forget it.

Comment

$191.00 Tag to refill? What is that for? I live in Florida and don't know anything about a charge like that. Is is specific to the Tallahassee fueling station you are talking about? As to getting CNG in Florida, I feel your pain. NG infrastructure is limited in the state except in fairly large cities. I don't have NG at my home and rent a small building that has it for storage and a place to refuel. Maybe things will turn around here but with a bi-fuel you can at least drive on gasoline until you get things figured out . With a little (or a lot of work) I think you could get the Cavalier to run on propane. I know the system will accomodate very low btu content NG and run OK--therefore, it might accomodate higher btu fuels also. Propane tank pressures are in the range of pressures found in the Cavalier after the initial pressure drop from the high pressure regulator. Remove the CNG tank and high pressure regulator and connect the propane tank directly to the fuel line going to the low pressure regulator. There is a cover for the low pressure regulator available from Impco that makes the regulator adjustable. You might be able to get something like this to run. Maybe some of the closet propane guys on this forum could chime in .

Comment

I'd still recommend checking the pricing of Propane in the area before bothering. very likely it's more expensive than gasoline...

Comment

i live in gainesville and have been compressing my own gas for 5 or 6 years now... my fuelmaker busted and has left me stranded.. at least for a couple more weeks...
                    if anyone is interested in talking with me about cng who lives in the area call me..
                    jason
                    Last edited by cnghal; 10-12-2009, 12:21 AM. Reason: Phone Number Removed - http://cngchat.com/index.php?pid=9#guardyourprivacy

Comment

check out the wisegas website www.wisegasinc.com we are working on installing many stations in florida but there are no public access stations right now. we are trying to convert many government stations over to public access. but fighting the city lawyers is hard. liability you know . we will be starting something in apoka real soon. but i don't know for sure if it will be public. teco has a compressor in orlando maybe call them to see if you can have access. lynx bus is scrapping their cng buses for more cost effective diesel ones sold by the brother in law who is a gillig rep. (see orlando sentinel "lynx dirty little secret") check out the cng road trip we are having next month with busses,cars and taxis all run on cng. we will be in orlando on the 11-13 of november

Comment

I live near Clearwater Fl, outside Tampa. Here's my predicament. By November I need to buy a new SUV. I have natural gas at my home and since a bi-fuel SUV isn't currently available I want to purchase a vehicle which is easily converted to bi-fuel in the next few years.

Reading the forums for the past year I've come to the conclusion that a Ford 5.4 Expedition might be my best bet, however I have concerns about the valve/seats in an engine not produced for bi-fuel. I see where Roush is selling LPG vehicles through the Ford network, if they had only gone with CNG route I'd be a buyer.

I'm convinced the way to forward CNG as a transportation fuel in the U.S. is to create demand, in my case to convert and supply my own fuel at home.
                        Any advise is much appreciated.

Comment

as to lynx dirty little secret it aint there just searched orlando sentinel must have the juice to make it go away aint no wonder we cant get anything done with crooks like this running the show how can diesel be more cost effective than cng when diesel is 2.75 and cng is around 1.00 agg for self compessed gas and buses burn alot .I was born at night but it wernt last night.what a bunch of crap we need to hang them high

Comment

July 30, 2017 Martin Comas for the Orlando Sentinel - Seminole County, Florida, commissioners recently mandated that Seminole s two waste-hauling companies replace their aging fleet of diesel garbage trucks with those that run on compressed natural gas, more commonly known as CNG, over the next three years.

The Lynx regional bus company agreed in 2014 to convert its fleet to compressed natural gas over a seven-year period. Today, 70 of Lynx s 313 buses run on compressed natural gas.

Waste Pro of Florida and Advanced Disposal Services will be required to replace their aging diesel trucks with new CNG trucks by the of end of 2020.

Advanced Disposal recently opened a new facility that includes a CNG fueling station at 5722 N. Pine Hills Road in Orlando. Waste Pro also opened a new CNG facility on St. Johns Parkway in Sanford.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...727-story.html

Comment

Working...
                            X