St Louis, MO international airport to get Spire public cng pump in 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Louis, MO international airport to get Spire public cng pump in 2013

LaClede Gas Company is partnering with Siemens to launch SPIRE Natural Gas Fueling Solution to install commercial / public cng refueling site during 2013 that is just west of St Louis International Airport. It will be built on one acre of Super Park Lot C facility at I-70 and Cypress Road.
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...189208881.html

Currently there is only one public cng pump in St Louis which is at LaClede's main facility and only accepts Fuelman card.

Full text of announcement:
    Originally posted by PR Newswire
    ST. LOUIS, Jan. 31, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- One of the cleanest energy sources, natural gas is gaining traction as the country's fuel of choice. New technologies are constantly being developed to take advantage of this abundant domestic supply of natural gas. To harness the power of these emerging technologies, Laclede is teaming with the Building Technologies Division of Siemens Industry, Inc. to launch Spire™ natural gas fueling solutions.

Cost savings are driving the switch from gasoline and diesel. Natural gas as a transportation fuel is significantly less expensive on average than equivalent gallons of gasoline or diesel. A typical transit agency can see a 30% reduction in fuel costs with compressed natural gas compared to diesel. That equals $12,000 savings per year per bus.

"Spire will show companies and communities new ways to save money, protect our environment and create American jobs," said Mike Spotanski , senior vice president chief integration and innovation officer of The Laclede Group.

As fleet managers shift from gasoline and diesel to natural gas vehicles, Laclede and Siemens are leading the way with Spire™ which meets the full spectrum needs of fleet managers including: station design, build and operation as well as financing, ongoing maintenance, facility improvements, safety, billing, technical consultation, and strategic planning.

Fleet managers are also attracted by the environmental benefits of the cleaner burning fuel. Natural gas vehicles provide cleaner air for our cities, communities, and families. Compared to traditional fuels like diesel, natural gas vehicles significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and virtually eliminate particulate emissions. Additionally, natural gas vehicles are generally much quieter than their diesel counterparts.

"Natural gas will play a big role in our transportation future. Laclede is an expert in natural gas with 150 years in the industry including more than 30 years of experience working specifically with natural gas vehicles," said Spotanski. "Add to that Siemens' experience with industrial technology solutions and together we can make a big difference to companies and communities."

"With the help of our teammate Laclede, Siemens is positioned to transform our highways and improve the air quality in our cities," says Clark Wiedetz , alternative and renewable energy director of Siemens. "Siemens continues to look for new ways to support city and county infrastructure, in this case, by helping to drive the use of compressed natural gas in commercial sized vehicles across the country."

Working closely with officials from Lambert-St. Louis International Airport and the City of St. Louis toward final approval, Spire™ is set to launch in St. Louis later this year with a commercial/public compressed natural gas fueling station just west of the Airport. The station will be built on approximately one acre of the Super Park Lot C facility at I-70 and Cypress Road. Open 24 hours a day, the station will initially fuel 160 fleet vehicles already on the road with capacity to accommodate a growing local and regional need. Initially this station will fuel fleets like Park Express.

This St. Louis station will be the first for Spire™. The Spire™ team, with Siemens, stands ready to offer natural gas vehicle solutions in select locations across the US.

A color logo for Spire™ is available at: http://bit.ly/XJMk7o

The video announcement of Spire™ is available at: http://youtu.be/kJW1M9w7E-o

Re: St Louis, MO international airport to get Spire public cng pump in 2013

[QUOTE=KSneedsCNG;58732]LaClede Gas Company is partnering with Siemens to launch SPIRE Natural Gas Fueling Solution to install commercial / public cng refueling site during 2013 that is just west of St Louis International Airport. It will be built on one acre of Super Park Lot C facility at I-70 and Cypress Road.
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...189208881.html

Currently there is only one public cng pump in St Louis which is at LaClede's main facility and only accepts Fuelman card.

I have personally attempted to obtain a Fuelman card(w/out success) for the sole purpose of using this station-THE ONLY STATION BETWEEN MIAMI, OK and INDIANAPOLIS, IN(or Evansville, IN)(I did not include Springfield, MO because it is CLOSED evenings & weekends!) I would not call the current facility in St. Louis 'PUBLIC' by any stretch of the term !

Comment

Update on the Spire station: I work near 270 and Cypress and since I am interested in CNG I have been watching construction progress on the new Spire CNG station at the SuperPark lot. Most people here don't even know they are building it because there have been no ads, signs, etc. Over the last month or so Laclede put in what looked like a 3" welded steel natural gas main on the West side of Cypress from the SuperPark main entrance down to the SouthWest corner of the SuperPark lot. They have about a half acre of parking lot fenced off for the construction so no cars will park there and they just put concrete forms in for the Spire entrance driveway off Cypress. The driveway will probably be poured this week. I'll try to post updates as I notice anything new. Looks like we may have the first real CNG station in St. Louis! -Dan (ASE F1, Fuelmaker certified sales and service @ Gas Technologies Automotive, LLC.)

Comment

Good to hear that St Louis is getting a bona fide CNG public filling station.

Please post up pictures. Inquiring minds want to SEE !!

Comment

I'll get a photo next time I pass by. The driveway is poured, an excavator came in for a while and then the next day they had some equipment delivered. There was an assembly of large storage cylinders and two large steel boxes. I'm guessing the boxes may be compressors but I don't know. -Dan

Comment

Please keep us updated. This station will save me 200 miles on my trips from Phoenix AZ to Michigan, so I would like to use it as soon as possible.
            Thanks
            Ken

Comment

Update: Sorry it's been a while since the last update. I've been busy working on a conversion and rebuilding an FMQ2-36 compressor head (yes it is possible to rebuild these instead of replace). Here is the latest: A lot of equipment has been installed lately. At times I have seen 4 or 5 contractor service vans on site at the same time. They have the awning built that covers the fuel pumps, two pumps are installed, a very large regenerative dryer, storage cylinders, and a lot of other equipment is in. At this point it looks like a lot of the large jobs are done and they are working on the smaller items. I attended the Clean Cities ride and drive event several weeks ago and asked the Laclede gas reps what the payment method will be since I know a lot of people don't like the fuel man card at the Shrewsbury station. Unfortunately they said they are going to stick with fuelman but who knows maybe they will change their minds since this is a much more convenient location and I imagine they will be getting a lot of sales from people traveling cross country like Ken just mentioned. Other info - I found out the compressors and some other equipment is made by ANGI. The latest info I have is they expect to open some time in December. I'll post as soon as I notice any kind of open for business sign. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan for the update. Bummer on the Fuelman card requirement!
                Can over the road trucks (18 wheelers) get in and out of this facility?

Comment

Originally posted by GasTechAuto View Post
                  .. but who knows maybe they will change their minds ..
                  Ha! Doubtful.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that Laclede is only allowing Fuelman. The really weird thing about it all is how generally helpful most of the repair staff at the Shrewsbury station is. My guess is that there is some block-headed political issue within Laclede preventing rational thought from taking place. Any normal person can see that.

Thank God I was able to move back to Oklahoma. I should have never left. Missouri. Pffft.

“Innovation is driven by having access to things.” -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Mike Spotanski, senior vice president chief integration and innovation officer of The Laclede Group.
                    Don't ya just love the titles some people are bestowed with.

lol.

Mikey should have a chat with Gleb sometime about "Innovation" and Fuelman.
                    Last edited by jblue; 11-29-2013, 03:26 PM.

“Innovation is driven by having access to things.” -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Can 18 wheelers get in and out of this facility? Cypress road is no problem as there are car haulers unloading new vehicles at the car rental stores across the street on a weekly basis. The entrance to the Spire looks like a truck could get in no problem. There is only one entrance that I am aware of right now so they would either have to turn around which might be tight or back out which is not a very good idea. I'm not sure if the fences they have up are permanent or just for construction so there could be more room later on. I think a good driver could get a truck turned around in there. There is no LNG at this facility if that is what you are wondering about. We do have a Clean Energy station at I270 and IL111 that has LNG for trucks. Update on Spire construction: Lately the contractor vans have stopped coming in possibly due to the cold temps here. The concrete barricades are gone and are replaced with a do no enter sign which fell over a few days ago. I noticed an "emergency shut off" sign right at the entrance. For some reason they decided to put all of the equipment along the road frontage side of the station and the pump islands in the rear. I can't tell what work is left to be done still but it is not open yet.

Comment

Great news to all CNG users who must pass through the St. Louis area and do not qualify as 'Fuelman' account holders. Clean Energy has a new CNG/LNG refueling station in Pontoon Beach, IL - about 21 miles NE of the city ! Finally there's a REAL PUBLIC CNG station along this major national interstate hub ! Thank you Clean Energy !

http://www.altfuelprices.com/station_map.php

Comment

Update: The station seems to be open for business and the dispenser lists credit cards accepted (forget which ones but it takes Visa). Since I recently converted my vehicle and was only familiar with Parker (Fuelmaker) fill nozzles, AND the station had no instructions for the nozzle I (DUH) couldn't get it to work on the first try. AND I found out the hard way that it puts a $500 pre-authorization on your credit card to turn the pump on. So, it shut off my debit card for 24 hours on the second try. SO if you use this station make sure you are prepared:
                          1. watch the YouTube videos on the nozzle (type that has a handle that turns 180 degrees and arrows to line up).
                          2. you need at least $500 available on your credit/debit card.
                          3. follow posted instructions for paying and turning pump on (there is one payment machine for 2 dispensers).
                          4. Don't mess around cause the payment machine times out after a few minutes.

When I go back and actually get some fuel out of the dang machine I'll let you know.
                          If any Spire people are reading this, a nice display playing a video on all this info would be great.
                          LOL! -Dan

Comment

O-Ya. The price on the sign is $1.99. I won't fuel here much because I can fill at home for about $0.74

Comment

A friend of mine with a Chevy pickup fueled up at Spire today and I saw a school bus there at lunch time today. The station is open for business! Happy Fueling and no more extended trips to bypass St. Louis for those people going cross country.

Comment

Working...
                              X