Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VW Passat TSI EcoFuel (bi-fuel gas and CNG)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Passat TSI EcoFuel (bi-fuel gas and CNG)

Here appears to be informative YouTube breakdown of VW Passat TSI EcoFuel (bi-fuel as runs on either petrol or CNG) - - - in Germany natural gas (ie CNG) might be called ErdGas (thus normal natural gas) or BioGas which is from captured methane (ie sewer gas, animals, etc).

Any German speaking members here on CNGchat who can translate what all is covered by this YouTube??

Great setup of this Passat wagon are the 3 cng tanks that are strategically placed under the car to maximize driving range on cng, while still also having a petrol gas tank for bi-fuel capability. The petrol tank has capacity of 31 liters so a little over 8 gallons.

THIS VW Passat bi-fuel wagon would be awesome if available in USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPnAy7yoGo
    Last edited by KSneedsCNG; 06-24-2014, 10:49 AM.

Re: VW Passat TSI EcoFuel (bi-fuel gas and CNG)

In English:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsHDuVTZvWQ

Comment

Cool . . . . 1.4 ltr turbo bi-fuel !!!! 150 HP and bi-fuel . . . awesome !!

CNG tanks are 6 Kg for the front, and 15 Kg total for the back 2 cng tanks for 21 Kg of total cng capacity. YouTube claims total driving range of 480 Km on cng, which works out to 298 miles of cng driving range !!

Converting the capacity of cng tanks shows it has 3 tanks total:
      . . . . front cng tank (6 Kg) is approx 2 gge
      . . . . rear 2 cng tanks (15 Kg) is approx 5 gge total (ie approx 2.5 gge per cng tank)

Thus, the cars 3 cng tanks combine for 7 gge total cng capacity. What is great is proper placement of cng tanks do not interfere with normal storage or legroom of interior cabin of vehicle !! German engineering !!

Comment

IIRC Europe is still 3000 psi, so that explains the steel cylinders being practical on a cost / weight basis. Doing this on the production line is the way to go. Anyone know the cost of this option ?

Comment

an update on a German lesson:
          'Erdgas' means natural gas and 'Biogas' means gas captured as renewable ie sewer gas, animals, etc.
          from the German version it states that the Passat can drive on either one.
          NEXT question (I'm sure on everybody's mind) will there be one available in the US??

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
            IIRC Europe is still 3000 psi, so that explains the steel cylinders being practical on a cost / weight basis. Doing this on the production line is the way to go. Anyone know the cost of this option ?
            Correct about the 3,000 psi as standard in Europe as the VW YouTube indicated that tanks were 200 bar. With greater capacity using 3,600 psi tanks in USA (ie 250 bar), this vehicle would have even greater driving range with those 3 tanks!

Any Sprekken the Deutche members out there on CNGchat that can give us scoop on cost, etc??

Comment

Does the 3600 psi system really add that much range? I think it was Jared??? who recently posted a graph showing capacity vs pressure and as I recall the difference between 3000 psi and 3600 psi was less than one GGE with a 7 gallon tank.
              Karl

Comment

Here is a link to a used-car site:
                http://gebrauchtwagen-suche.t-online...art-erdgas-cng
                i.e. a 2009 (yes they had been available for that long....) is listed for EU6300.

Also the link direct to VW:
                http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/d...varianten.html

seems there are 3 different trims available with CNG. ranging from EU33k-35k
                Last edited by OhMyGas; 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

why would vw want to bring this car to the us and put up with all the poo of the government and the epa when there are plenty of places that are glad to have them and dont run them around in circles

Comment

Let's see how the impala does this year...they go on sale in the next month or 2

Pushing 40,000$ for the LT3 trim with destination

Also keep in mind that the u.s. model passat is different then the European version so it's not like they could just import a new model....They would have to convert a u.s. model to cng, not impossible though
                    Last edited by trdscfjc; 07-01-2014, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know what's the CNG maximum lifetime in Europe?

In Germany, in particular.
                      I'm from Romania and I would like to buy a used CNG family car from Germany (along the lines of Opel Zafira and VW Touran).
                      There are NO CNG filling stations in Romania at this time, but the govt. agency that occupies itself with such trivial matters responded that
                      the regulations are in the final phase and will be made official soon. There is an European directive that says that by 2016 all EU countries
                      should have complete regulations regarding CNG, and by 2020 there must be filling stations with at most 150 km between one another.

Comment

For the cost of petrol, a home fueling station will pay itself off in no time

Look at getting a Coltri MCH5 for home fuelling, its certified for use in the EU

They are made in Italy and are available in single and 3 phase and 50 and 60 hertz configurations
                        Last edited by trdscfjc; 08-20-2014, 01:05 AM.

Comment

As for the CNG maximum lifetime question, I believe you are asking if the vehicle has a fixed end of life date? The high-pressure CNG tanks on the used car will have a label indicating when the tanks expire. You should ask the seller for this information, preferably a photo of the label. Filling expired tanks is risky and is likely illegal in the EU. Tanks can be replaced, but it is costly to do so.

Comment

Thank you for your answers!
                            Sorry for the incomplete question, I meant the CNG tank maximum lifetime...
                            I know there's a label on the tank, but I'd like to know the limits depending on the manufacturer...
                            for the Zafira EcoFlex CNG, what should I expect? 10 years, 15, 20 years?
                            I don't know any Europe-specific CNG forum.

Comment

Hi

i see you are from Romania Very good we have infos about a filling station in Roman can you confirm ? http://www.gnvmagazine.com/eng/notic...n_romania-3185

IF you like a European Forum i recommend http://www.erdgasfahrer-forum.de/ Don't worry it has a English section !
                              Normally our tanks have 20 years in Europe before the must Replace
                              Greetings from Switzerland

Comment

Working...
                              X