X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dearborn
    replied
    Re: 2012 F-150 Eco-boost

I would expect the direct injection pump to seize eventually if a direct injection motor was converted to CNG. VW took some added actions to make sure that their direct injection pump did not seize and the injectors not not fail. That was written up in a public report somewhere. But if you always use CNG, I guess it is OK to fail the gasoline portion of the system.

Leave a comment:

• Skipper
    replied

EcoBoost is Ford's new direct injection engine. Very efficient compared to standard port injection.... but you pay for it. Its expensive. Just another reason why the EPA forcing more efficient engines is hampering our economy.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Wagner
    replied

What is the Eco Boost or Eco Fuel system? A big F 150 might be in my future. Do they surpass the GM pickups in MPG?

Leave a comment:

• John Mitton
    replied

Note the Eco Fuel system is currently approved for installation in Canada but not the US (yet).

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied

My truck has over 32K km's total and 17K km's on CNG. It is running perfectly. No issues with the CNG system or the engine running on CNG.

The direct injection gasoline system is not touched , except for switching off the injectors to allow the CNG injectors to operate. The CNG injectors are located in the intake plenum upstream of the intake valves. There are a total of 8 injectors. 6 for the individual intake runners and 2 fogging injectors just downstream of the throttle plate that add CNG under boost condition.

In Europe there are many DI engines converted to run on CNG as well as propane.

Check with Eco Fuel Systems if you are interested in converting any Ecoboost or DI engine. I highly recommend their system. No, I do not work for Eco Fuel Systems.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Skipper
    replied

Any more information on the Ecoboost conversion? To my knowledge nobody can reliably convert direct injection vehicles. It may run, but not for long and not without issues like the ones described above. Thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied

Had my truck at the dealers last week. There was a TSB for the engine that included a reprogram of the ECU and a deflector piece for the intercooler (something about condensation inside the IC). I never experienced any issues with water but apparently others have.

Preliminary report is good. My truck is still relearning shift points and such but it seems to run smoother, gets better mileage and I haven't heard the noises I thought the regulator (or NG system was producing). I've only had 2 long trips so far so I'm being optimistic.

Jd8611 - I would guess with your boss' 2012 Eco that it already has the TSB incorporated. Check if there is a deflector on the top of the intercooler that extends down the front of the IC by about 3 inches. If needed I can take a picture of mine.
    Last edited by beaker; 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Jd8611
    replied

Hey beaker, I believe you are correct, So far I am only aware of your Eco-boost and the one my boss just had converted. Just got word this morning that my boss is also experiencing some noise simular to lifter noise/injector noise. I will keep you updated.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied

Welcome to the Ecoboost NGV club. We are a very small group. So far I think it's 2!! Mine is running well with a minor NG system noise issue. My installer and the kit manufacturer is working on it. I believe there are also a couple of Ford issues with the OEM programming. My truck is going in to the dealer next week.

Leave a comment:

• Jd8611
    replied

The kit installed was from Eco Fuel Systems Inc. and the installer is Randy Kaiser out of Homeworth, Ohio.

Leave a comment:

• CNGLO
    replied

What system did you have installed? Who was the installer?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X