Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 F-150 Eco-boost

wmarsden,

I am very happy with my ecoboosted F150 and even happier with it on CNG!

I drive 120 kms round trip to work Mon to Fri. 600 kms per week + weekends. I have 38000 kms on my truck now and 23000 of those are on CNG! My single tank (approx 19 liter gas equiv) is good for about 160 kms on a 3200 psi fill. I have a home compressor and in the winter I get 2500 psi fills and 2900 in summer. I can do the work trip on 2500 psi but its close by the time I get home. As there are not many stations around here I rely on my VRA. But, I also have the full gasoline system. Over the last few months I've been using about 1 liter of gasoline a day.

As far as the engine it's self. I had it to the dealers last fall for a hesitation and they updated the ECU software and added a deflector to the CAC. This has not solved the problem. I will be taking it back to see about the new CAC TSB. Running on CNG the engine is almost as responsive as gasoline but as it has 365 hp there is plenty to spare.

As I am in Canada the kit I have doesn't need to meet EPA standards. Just Canadian DOT standards. I'm not sure if Eco Fuel Systems had certified for EPA yet. You will need to check with them.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

I would not change my mind about this engine/CNG conversion. It does all I ask it to do.

Comment

Thanks beaker,

Does Eco Fuel Systems have other (larger) CNG tanks for their kits, and how much did the kit and installation cost?

Happy to hear that you love the system and that it is working out well for you!

Comment

Hi wmarsden

Eco Fuel does not supply the tank. That's a decision you need to make with your installer. My choice was based on daily distance, re certified tank and weight consideration. The kit price will vary based on tanks (size, number and material), mounting arrangement, new vs re certified etc. You need to find an installer and speak with them. The Eco web site lists installers.

Comment

Just bought two of these and well... Being I'm such a huge fan of CNG ... I want them to be cng. My preference is to have tgt do the conversions if they even offer it for these trucks. I really need to email Tom and see. I'm also interested to see if we could do CNG on a 2013,explorer and put a tank some where.

Comment

And let me add..I tried to get the v8 but they were out of them so I was stucj with getting the Eco boost...but it was ford truck month lol

Comment

can you post some pics please?

Comment

This converted ecoboost seems fishy... they may have got something to work but without details and tech specs I'll just say it's not legit. Anyone can convert almost anything with enough time and effort... but is is scalable and reliable for the consumer?

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
                  This converted ecoboost seems fishy... they may have got something to work but without details and tech specs I'll just say it's not legit. Anyone can convert almost anything with enough time and effort... but is is scalable and reliable for the consumer?
                  Skipper,
                  What do you mean "fishy"?

I've got over 68,000 kms on my truck! 53,000 of that has been with the Natural Gas conversion. Check with EcoFuels if you need "details and tech specs". My is running perfectly. I'm getting around 12.5 liters/100 km's average at about 0.20 per liter! Gasoline here is 1.35ish per liter. So you tell me. There are pictures in my profile of the conversion. Feel free to have a look at a converted Ecoboost.

Comment

Just wondering is it is easy to replicate... that what I meant. MY post above explain the concerns. While we are here, can you please explain what it takes to be "approved" in Canada? All I have seen is a reference to the Canada DOT... but is that just limited to fire code/high pressure safety like USDOT?

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
                      Just wondering is it is easy to replicate... that what I meant. MY post above explain the concerns. While we are here, can you please explain what it takes to be "approved" in Canada? All I have seen is a reference to the Canada DOT... but is that just limited to fire code/high pressure safety like USDOT?
                      Skipper,

I go thru my local gas utility company for the conversion. They sub the job to a local installer. The gas company (Enbridge) buy the kit from EcoFuel and it's sent to the installer. I made an appointment to drop off my vehicle. So I do not know the regulations and certifications required to have a kit installed here. The installer is licensed as a gas fitter to install not only NG kits but propane as well. The Ontario Ministry Of Transport writes the safety and installation requirements that the installer has to follow. I know there are provincial as well as federal regulations.

Comment

Im a conversion tech we have done about 20 ecoboost 2012 -2017 with landi and prins i favor prins works flawlessly
                        Landi renzo to many anomolies to wory about each vehicle is adjusted differntly and still has problems
                        But prins r all done the same and all run perfectly

Comment

Working...
                        X