2012 F-150 Eco-boost [Canada]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 F-150 Eco-boost [Canada]

Just had a 2012 F-150 Eco-boost conversion done with great success. There is a little shutter at the low end, other than that all is great; seeing my installer tomorrow to address the issue. I am wondering if there are any other 2012 Eco-boost conversions out there and if all is well?

Re: 2012 F-150 Eco-boost

What system did you have installed? Who was the installer?

Comment

The kit installed was from Eco Fuel Systems Inc. and the installer is Randy Kaiser out of Homeworth, Ohio.

Comment

Welcome to the Ecoboost NGV club. We are a very small group. So far I think it's 2!! Mine is running well with a minor NG system noise issue. My installer and the kit manufacturer is working on it. I believe there are also a couple of Ford issues with the OEM programming. My truck is going in to the dealer next week.

Comment

Hey beaker, I believe you are correct, So far I am only aware of your Eco-boost and the one my boss just had converted. Just got word this morning that my boss is also experiencing some noise simular to lifter noise/injector noise. I will keep you updated.

Comment

Had my truck at the dealers last week. There was a TSB for the engine that included a reprogram of the ECU and a deflector piece for the intercooler (something about condensation inside the IC). I never experienced any issues with water but apparently others have.

Preliminary report is good. My truck is still relearning shift points and such but it seems to run smoother, gets better mileage and I haven't heard the noises I thought the regulator (or NG system was producing). I've only had 2 long trips so far so I'm being optimistic.

Jd8611 - I would guess with your boss' 2012 Eco that it already has the TSB incorporated. Check if there is a deflector on the top of the intercooler that extends down the front of the IC by about 3 inches. If needed I can take a picture of mine.
            Last edited by beaker; 10-16-2012, 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Any more information on the Ecoboost conversion? To my knowledge nobody can reliably convert direct injection vehicles. It may run, but not for long and not without issues like the ones described above. Thanks in advance!

Comment

My truck has over 32K km's total and 17K km's on CNG. It is running perfectly. No issues with the CNG system or the engine running on CNG.

The direct injection gasoline system is not touched , except for switching off the injectors to allow the CNG injectors to operate. The CNG injectors are located in the intake plenum upstream of the intake valves. There are a total of 8 injectors. 6 for the individual intake runners and 2 fogging injectors just downstream of the throttle plate that add CNG under boost condition.

In Europe there are many DI engines converted to run on CNG as well as propane.

Check with Eco Fuel Systems if you are interested in converting any Ecoboost or DI engine. I highly recommend their system. No, I do not work for Eco Fuel Systems.

Cheers

Comment

Note the Eco Fuel system is currently approved for installation in Canada but not the US (yet).

Comment

What is the Eco Boost or Eco Fuel system? A big F 150 might be in my future. Do they surpass the GM pickups in MPG?

Comment

EcoBoost is Ford's new direct injection engine. Very efficient compared to standard port injection.... but you pay for it. Its expensive. Just another reason why the EPA forcing more efficient engines is hampering our economy.

Comment

I would expect the direct injection pump to seize eventually if a direct injection motor was converted to CNG. VW took some added actions to make sure that their direct injection pump did not seize and the injectors not not fail. That was written up in a public report somewhere. But if you always use CNG, I guess it is OK to fail the gasoline portion of the system.

Comment

Dearborn, You need to do a bit of research into CNG systems that are added to the Ecoboost. Not slagging you just want to inform you. With the Eco Fuel system that I have, my truck always starts on gasoline then switches over to CNG. The direct injection pump is always running and the gasoline injectors are switched off. The fuel is returned to the tank. At this point I do not know the reliability of the DI pump , but I would assume it would be similar to a non-CNG equipped engine going the same time/distance. When I deplete the CNG to the minimum psi setting (approx 200 psi) the CNG system switches seamlessly over to gasoline. Therefore every trip I take I use / exercise my gasoline system. Hope this helps. One more thing. If my gasoline system was to fail I can not start on CNG.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                            Dearborn, You need to do a bit of research into CNG systems that are added to the Ecoboost. Not slagging you just want to inform you. With the Eco Fuel system that I have, my truck always starts on gasoline then switches over to CNG. The direct injection pump is always running and the gasoline injectors are switched off. The fuel is returned to the tank. At this point I do not know the reliability of the DI pump , but I would assume it would be similar to a non-CNG equipped engine going the same time/distance. When I deplete the CNG to the minimum psi setting (approx 200 psi) the CNG system switches seamlessly over to gasoline. Therefore every trip I take I use / exercise my gasoline system. Hope this helps. One more thing. If my gasoline system was to fail I can not start on CNG.
                            When the EcoFuel controller is switches off the gasoline injectors, then the solenoid valve on the DI pump will cease being energized and it will cease to pump. The DI pump's piston will always reciprocate until it seizes, but it does not have a net flow out of the pump. If it ceases to pump, it ceases to be lubricated and will eventually seize.

However, if the EcoFuel system altered the plumbing to allow flow from the high pressure side (55 to 1500 psi) to the low pressure side (65 psi), then the pump could continue to flow fuel and perhaps remain lubricated.

But, if the facts say that the gasoline system remains functional, I won't argue with success.

Comment

beaker - I would love to know more about your Ecoboost conversion! This sounds really cool! I currently own and drive a 99 ford f150 bi-fuel, and a 2010 ford f150 5.4 liter gasoline truck. I love them both! I drive the old 99 junker all the time because of the cheap cng. But my 2010 is a platinum and very nice. I consistently get 20 mpg with the 2010.

However, I love the new ecoboost engines and am waiting (I'm glad that ford figured out the 'shudder/loss of power/limp mode' problem associated with water condensing in the CAC) so I can get one. I'm really interested in getting an ecoboost to run on cng, as well as on ethanol.

Let me know how things are going with your ecoboost: how many mile drive, mileage, power with cng, cost of conversion, etc.

Thanks!

wm

Comment

Working...
                              X