Cummins Westport ISLG Engine failure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash96
    started a topic Cummins Westport ISLG Engine failure?

Cummins Westport ISLG Engine failure?

We are running 6 garbage trucks powered with Cummins ISLG Engine. We had two engine failures first one at 15,000 miles second one at 25,000 miles. In both cases we had a cracked cylinder liner and cracked piston. First engine failure was number one the second truck it was number five piston. Explanation from Cummins was "The ECM was not calibrated correctly" however i know we had them re-calibrated within 4 days of delivery so this does not make any sense. Question has anybody else had similar problems or heard of somebody having problems like this?
    Would like to post some pictures of piston and liner but won't let me.

• Ellco
    replied
    Trucking company with 12 ISLG Engines, we have had 13 piston failures in 24 months no warranty coverage

Leave a comment:

• robby2811
    replied
    hay guys, i have just removed a cylinder head from one of my engines that had water and oil mixing. there was no signs of head gasket breach any idea on wht could cause the mixture, there is no oil in the cooling system.

Leave a comment:

• bhogan
    replied
    Re: Cummins Westport ISLG Engine failure?

Thanks George....

Leave a comment:

• Trash96
    replied

Those trucks where bought new with ISLG installed from the factory. They seem to work great except for those two failures. Real touchy on the spark plugs need to change them every 1500 hours and make sure you use Cummins plugs. On the oil we use Rotella 15/40 for natural gas only a couple $ more than regular Rotella. We did oil analysis after 500 hours and oil was still well within parameters. You also need to get the Cummins insite will really cut down on trips to the dealer.

Upcharge on those trucks including 87DGE tanks about $ 50,000

George

Leave a comment:

• bhogan
    replied

I would also like to know...
    I'm getting ready to upfit a fleet? I was going to use the Cummins ISLG as an engine spec. for all the up grades?
    What kit was used on the trash trucks?
    Also Dose anyone have a (basic) roll up cost on what it cost you for a retrofit engine install and a cng conversion install?

Thanks
    Bob Hogan
    SO-CAL

Leave a comment:

• Amfuel
    replied

I wish you had asked this question 3 days ago or so as I just went 2 days of conferences and a Cummins mechanic was on hand to field questions on the engines. Sorry, too late for me now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X