Man in Broken Arrow Oklahoma killed when CNG tank explodes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Man in Broken Arrow Oklahoma killed when CNG tank explodes

This is why we urge anyone not fully trained in high pressure fuel systems to defer to an expert. Being certified doesn't remove all dangers associated with high pressure fuel systems, like CNG, but it greatly reduces the chance of your name appearing in a thread like this.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Although it is not the problem in this situation, if you vent (defuel) a CNG cylinder make sure it is properly grounded to prevent the build up static electricity. Just about any gas passing through and orfice at high speed will cause static electricity and the possibility of fire or explosion. CGA C6.4 has information on defueling/depressurizing a cylinder on page 29.

Larrycng

Comment

We had a guy bring in a '01 F150 that tried to do this exact thing. He had removed the tank and strapped it to a dolly and thought he had vented it down. It still had around 500-1000psi and had enough kick to imprint the valve into the side of the cab of the truck with enough force to fracture the subframe. Needless to say he was pretty shaken up.

Comment

Originally posted by CNG MOTORS View Post
          Willing to bet that electric valve went bad and he was trying to change it out. Unless you have the correct tool to puncture the valve the only other way is to loosen some threads until the o ring pops. He must have been standing right in front of the valve when it happened and then the debris is just from the tank pressure blowing stuff around that was near buy.

From the FOX report it seams that this was the case......and if so i can tell you from experience preforming this procedure with our the proper tools its scary as hell to say the least. One thing i know for sure is that he would have herd the gas escaping with every turn of the wrench.....even if the gas had depleted down to 500-1000 psi or the threads iced up he would have still herd the gas spurting off every turn????

I hope this gets illegal shops to send their tech to a real class!!!!!

I can suggest a good one if any one needs some hands on time???

Comment

The email go,s no where in the USA and no respones. Did make the call got bounced around but Mary said see will email it out. Some one should post it here if there have it NOW could save a live.
            Bob Mann

Comment

I met Wes a few weeks ago at an auction for a some CNG vehicles and talked to him a few times since. He was a very friendly and helpful person and excited about his business. I believe he had been to certified training and had the Oklahoma license for CNG technician. It is very sad that he had such an accident and not good for the industry either.

I think Wes just made a bad assumption/decision, and unfortunatley it cost him everything.

I have been a shade tree mechanic for years and have tackled just about every system on a car at one point or another. I can probably pass the ASE engine mechanic test (if the practice tests I take occasionally are any indication) and I have been contemplating taking the 3 day course offered by the college in Oklahoma City - mainly to get some foundation basics and experience with these systems for when I have to work on my own bi-fuel truck. Even though I have performed several maintenance steps - the tanks make me really nervous and I know that I don't have the practical knowledge to work on the valves. It makes me REALLY cautious around them and I don't tinker. However, even if I worked on them all the time I would still force myself to treat them just like a firearm - always loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by blufie View Post
                I have been a shade tree mechanic for years and have tackled just about every system on a car at one point or another. I can probably pass the ASE engine mechanic test (if the practice tests I take occasionally are any indication) and I have been contemplating taking the 3 day course offered by the college in Oklahoma City - mainly to get some foundation basics and experience with these systems for when I have to work on my own bi-fuel truck. Even though I have performed several maintenance steps - the tanks make me really nervous and I know that I don't have the practical knowledge to work on the valves. It makes me REALLY cautious around them and I don't tinker. However, even if I worked on them all the time I would still force myself to treat them just like a firearm - always loaded.
                Excellent advice. I could have not said it better. "Always treat it like a loaded gun."
                Jared.
                Mountain Green, Utah
                2003 CNG Cavalier
                2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Willing to bet that electric valve went bad and he was trying to change it out. Unless you have the correct tool to puncture the valve the only other way is to loosen some threads until the o ring pops. He must have been standing right in front of the valve when it happened and then the debris is just from the tank pressure blowing stuff around that was near buy.
                  Greetings all,

...'till the O-ring pops???' Don't take offense, but that scares the .... out of me! That isn't the recommended procedure!

Please don't do this. Even with the right tool to manually open that valve it can fool you. We decommissioned 400 cylinders all with the GFI/Sherwood electronic valve and still had one fool us. Either there was enough residual pressure that it pushed back on the over-ride tool and we thought it had bottomed out or possibly the velocity of gas escaping as the over-ride tool opened the valve caused it to freeze up and stop flow but we had to change underware when it was all over.

If anyone needs a copy of the GFI procedure LET ME KNOW.

Everyone goes home safe.

afvman

Comment

I agree, it was not a recommendation. Like AFVMAN said do not do this. It was what I thought happened.
                    sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
                    SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
                    2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
                    1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
                    2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

From first hand knowlege of this accident and having my eyes on everything to do with this accident, this was very preventable with more training and more training and more training. The proceedures to de-tank the fuel in any CNG tank needs to be in BOLD TYPE in the top of every tool box. This accident should make every Real CNG shop have a safety meeting over this subject.

The fact are the tank did not rupture and there was no fire or explosion, The tank valve was out of the tank and it appears it was unthreaded.
                      The loaded gun is the best way to handle all pressure vessels.

There is a fund set up to help with Wes Littles family at Arvest Bank in Tulsa OK if any one feels like helping out.

As soon as I can put my hands on the official copy of the de-tanking procedure I will post it on www.tulsagastech.com.

Keep Smiling and be safe

Comment

GFI solenoid tank valve.jpgSuperior pg2.jpgSuperior pg1.jpgTom et al,

Here is a copy of the GFI and Sherwood recommendations that we use in our training class. I should have posted this earlier! I'll also put it in the library.

Best regards,

afvman

Comment

Correction: Unless you have the correct tool to puncture the valve there is no other safe way to vent a tank with a defective valve.

Comment

With many Civic CNG tanks reaching their 15 year expiration, I do not think it hurts to bump this thread to refresh one s thinking about safety. The new tip I learned from talking with a station mechanic who works on dispensers is that he shuts off pressure to the equipment he is working on. But he also leaves any bleed valves slightly open in the event pressure creeps into the system from a worn valve.

Comment

My Honda Civic GX service manual suggests depressurizing the tank only by "removing the manual lock-down valve and installing the manual override vent tool in its place". Of course, Honda recommends replacing the tank ANYTIME the tank has to be completely depressurized. They may also only recommend this procedure because sometimes you are replacing the tank/valve because the electric solenoid failed shut. The replacement tanks from Honda come with a new valve/solenoid installed. If you're replacing an expired tank and want to re-use you're old valve/solenoid, though, couldn't you just depressurize your old tank by simply by turning the ignition on (which would open the tank valve/solenoid) and then crack open the shut-off ball valve with the high-pressure filter canister removed? Or just simply remove the drain plug on the bottom of the high-pressure filter and vent it from there. Shouldn't this simple procedure completely depressurize the tank?

Comment

Working...
                              X