This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Safety - What You Can Do

I have thought about this for a long time. Here is a list of three simple things that you, the vehicle owner, can do to ensure that your tank will remain safe for the life the tank. Use extreme caution when removing covers/shields.

1. Clean debris from around your tank - You will be amazed at what you find around your tank. Even if you own a Civic GX, Cavalier, or Contour, you will be amazed what finds its way to the tank area. I literally have seen it all when I remove tank covers and shields for inspection. Remove anything that is not secure and which can cause damage to your tank. If you wish to clean your tank, use warm soapy water (not a solvent).
    2. Visually check the brackets around the tank. The brackets must have a rubber gasket between the bracket and the tank. The brackets must be free of any damage. If a bracket has visual damage - get it fixed by a certified technician.
    3. If you notice visual damage on your tank (dent, bulge, cut, gouge, etc.) get it inspected by a certified inspector. They will be able to determine what course of action you need to take.

By doing these three things on a regular basis, you will ensure that your tank will last its full service life.
    Last edited by John Mitton; 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Re: Tank Safety - What You Can Do

Good comments Jared.
    I might one thing that I got from Lincoln Composits; Don't use anything more powerful that a garden hose and nozzle to wash off a cylinder. Dish washing soap is great stuff and will cut grease.

The comment came up as a result of a discussion (somewhat spirited), about the use of a high pressure, under vehicle wash system used by a transit agency. The discussion took place in a training class.

Larrycng
    Last edited by larrycng; 01-04-2011, 12:10 AM. Reason: sentence structure

Comment

Pressure washers are generally acceptable to use when cleaning your CNG cylinder and should not cause any issues. The detergent you use is the most critical factor to take in to consideration when cleaning your CNG cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by NOGO View Post
        Pressure washers are generally acceptable to use when cleaning your CNG cylinder and should not cause any issues. The detergent you use is the most critical factor to take in to consideration when cleaning your CNG cylinder.
        I think you should use caution when using a pressure washer to clean a CNG tank. Using a pressure washer on a Type I or II tank can remove the protective coating on the metal that prevents rust and corrosion. Using a pressure washer on a Type II, III, or IV can remove the protective coating on the composite and possibly cause the composite overwrap to crack and split.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
          I think you should use caution when using a pressure washer to clean a CNG tank. Using a pressure washer on a Type I or II tank can remove the protective coating on the metal that prevents rust and corrosion. Using a pressure washer on a Type II, III, or IV can remove the protective coating on the composite and possibly cause the composite overwrap to crack and split.
          I understand the concerns, and maybe I was too general in my statement, as I only speak from my experience. I will say you cant be too cautious! I performed an analysis of a pressure washing and detergent system used at a local refinery that was required for trucks hauling coke before they went on the road. A type 3 cylinder was used so I wont speak for other cylinder type concerns, but there was no adverse affects from the pressure, heat, or detergent.

Comment

Good points. The thing I'm concerned with is the high press washers forcing water into the wrap through a damaged section and then the tank being subjected to freezing weather - water expands when it freezes.

Larrycng

Comment

Here is a handy reference that was used for training in a CNG Cylinder Inspection course:
              http://www.cleanvehicle.org/technolo...uide_Final.pdf

Comment

Or you could just become a cylinder inspector through the class at SLCC call this guy for details 801-957-5200 Eric.

Comment

Getting your CNG cylinder/fuel system inspector is kinda of pricey if you just want to do your own. -- But you will know what your are looking at and if it is right

Larrycng

Fairbanks, AK
                  Last edited by larrycng; 06-20-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Total price for my certification was about $2k. This included a training course by Leo at NGVi (highly recommended) and travel expenses.
                    Jared.
                    Mountain Green, Utah
                    2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Salt lake community college is teaching a great installation, repair and inspection class for natural gas vehicles. I just got some great information from the guy in charge of their green fuels program Eric Aragon. The class is only 990.00 instead of the 1500-1700 dollar classes offered other places. If anyone is interested contact Eric 801-913-6468

Comment

Here is a good article from Government Fleets regarding what to do when your CNG tank is about to expire. It was written in May 2010.

http://www.government-fleet.com/Arti...ks-Expire.aspx
                        Jared.
                        Mountain Green, Utah
                        2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Hello, I am looking for CNG tank safety information. We have a council person that still thinks they are exploding missles in waiting! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gmventure View Post
                            Hello, I am looking for CNG tank safety information. We have a council person that still thinks they are exploding missles in waiting! Thanks
                            gmventure,

First off, welcome to CNGChat. There is a video on Youtube that was put together by the CNG Cylinder Corporation back in the mid to late '80s. That shows severe abuse tests done on CNG tanks. Most regulations today have similar tests that are performed on each CNG tank design. You may also want to search the forums as there is a wealth of information here.
                            Jared.
                            Mountain Green, Utah
                            2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...24839807682996

Comment

Working...
                              X