X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-NFPA 52 conforming pictures

A note from Forum Staff:
    Everyone involved with the conversion and maintenance of natural gas vehicles must become familiar with the National Fire Protection Association code #52, which provides standards for safe installation and service. The code can be purchased here, but in the mean time Texas has a code which closely mirrors NFPA-52 and is attached to this top post for free download. Please read this stuff before turning a wrench on 3600 psi systems! NGV's have a wonderful safety track record. Let's keep it this way.
    -----------------------------------------

Post pictures you've seen (in person or on the internet) of conversions that are NOT conforming to NFPA-52. Hopefully this thread will alert NGV owners on what not to do and on what to be on the look out for when pulling into refuel.

Here's a vehicle on found for sale on craigslist.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/blebly1/...y=q3dnXaZamH0#

This Ford Expedition has 10 one GGE tanks manifolded together using RUBBER tubing! I would run away as fast as I can if I saw this vehicle filling up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Mitton; 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Re: Non-NFPA 52 conforming pictures

Car comes complete with Texas vehicle inspection sticker!
    Here's the AD http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ctd/914007118.html
    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Oh-------my-------------gosh!

I gave up on how many violations I counted. It appears that each cylinder does not have a shut off valve. I cannot see enough of the cylinder mounting straps but what I do see are insufficenet. The fueling connector is inside the passenger compartment along with the pressure gauge, the regulator is under the box (WHAT?), flexible high pressure hoses (I cannot see if they are rated for CNG use), and so on. The box certainly is not vapor tight with a seal and I dont see any floor vents.

Galileo is not approved for Texas use, this looks like a case of "lets try it and see if it works" or a test case for the popular TV show, "CNG installers gone wild!". In Texas, the safety inspectors are not trained to identify code compliance, that falls to other regulatory agencies. One thing is there is no road use tax sticker on the lower right corner of the windshield. Either the inspector was not aware of the CNG system or it was put on after the inspection. Any way, its an illegal installation, period.

As for the statement that it runs great, I dont see how with the regulator mounted 15 feet away from the throttle inlet, the transit delay must be horrendous. Oh, it looks like there are TWO regualtors, back to back. Doesnt change my opinion, plus the blue support boxes under the hood clash with the black paint.

Arghhh!

Franz

Comment

Any guess as to how many seconds its gonna take for the Texas RR Commission to get on this one?

Comment

Franz is the MAN...

Don't forget no vent lines, PRD's? 1/4 turn shut-off...how many is that now?

But I like the carpeting over the plywood, nice touch.

afvman

Comment

Is anything wrong with this one?
            Attached Files
            Lancer Automotive Group
            3687 South 300 West
            Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer Automotive Group View Post
              Is anything wrong with this one?
              Is that the dual tank package for your f-250 ?------------JK

Comment

Good Lord, what is that? They should have stayed cooking hamburgers and not converting cars!

Comment

What about the "additional check valve between the fuel connector and the cylinders?

I still have a question about the high pressure line; non- stainless steel with the white plastic converning? I've seen nothing that requires stainless.

How was that long low pressure line routed? I heard of one vehicle with the High Pressure line routed in side the vehicle under the carpets.

Larrycng

Comment

Here is a more common story

Inside a Bronco from the mid-west. The story was "I'm not finished yet" I hope it has been made safe and compliant.

Larrycng
                    Attached Files

Comment

This looks like a vehicle I want for my ex-wife. No ratchet straps on that
                      tank, no sir that is real plumber tape with custom made anti-roll blocks created by one of natures finest trees. Looks like the needle on the stupid meter went around twice and fell off.

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                        Any guess as to how many seconds its gonna take for the Texas RR Commission to get on this one?
                        They "already" know about it.

Franz

Comment

Here's another...before everyone gets upset, it was taken in Bangladesh...

Home made brackets

No isolation gaskets

8X the wgt of the cyls in the six principle directions

and on, and on...

afvman
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is a classic non-NFPA boo boo. The filling nozzle (connection) is inside the trunk. This is also a non-EPA vehicle - a Honda Accord. I have seen this type of boo boo in a variety of different vehicles ranging from an Oldsmobile Alero to SUVs. This lady also has her groceries from the store in there.
                            Attached Files
                            Jared.
                            Mountain Green, Utah
                            2003 CNG Cavalier
                            2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Hello Highmaker,

This one caught my attention. Obviously, it's NOT a factory installation, but..

even though it wouldn't be my choice to mount the fill receptacle inside the trunk, I don't find anything in NFPA-52, 2006 that says you CAN'T. What's your read?

That having been said, my guess is that it wouldn't pass another requirement in the same section (6.9), namely that any fill receptacle must be able to withstand a 150lb breakaway force since that's what's required for the fill hose. Can't see it in the picture, but if it's a homemade install I'd doubt it.

B/R,

afvman

Comment

Working...
                              X