Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CNG NGV1 & NGV2 - P30 & P36 - 3000psi & 3600psi Fill Nozzles & Receptacles. How many?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG NGV1 & NGV2 - P30 & P36 - 3000psi & 3600psi Fill Nozzles & Receptacles. How many?

image_5181.png ItalyCNG.png image_5182.png

I'm confused to hell. CNG NGV1 & NGV2 - P30 & P36 - 3000psi & 3600psi Filling Nozzles & Receptacles. Are there four types or two? Or more?

I thought I had this down only in sourcing another nozzle and matched receptacle recently I got myself confused. As my understanding of this, there are two operating pressures of 3000psi (200Bar) and 3600psi (240Bar?). Thus logically you don't want it possible to connect a 3600psi nozzle to a 3000psi set-up. Fine. So I had assumed this was P30 (at 3000psi) and P36 (at 3600psi). Only I'm no longer sure. It's hard to get this information, in a quick and easy format. Clearly the individual receptacles need separate profiles, but what fits what and when?

I would assume it'd be OK to put a P30 nozzle onto a P36 car, the only issue being less than a 100% fill. Is this possible?

P30 and P36 I get …. I think, but where does NGV1 and NGV2 fit into this?
    Or am I mixing apples with oranges here?

In short what works with what, if at all, and what are the differences? I get the idea that NGV1 is for smaller stuff, but NGV2 nozzles are for lorries & buses.

In standard and common usage, keeping the rare Italian profile (shown centre) out of this, how many filler receptacle profiles are there for CNG?
    Last edited by BritCNGUser; 05-23-2016, 11:06 AM.

A p306 nozzle can fit on a P36 receptacle and can give u a full fill as long as the compressor can pump the pressure to that level

A P36 nozzle will not fit on a p30 receptacle.

There is also a high volume receptacle and nozzle that is used in the u.s. and perhaps other countries they are not compatible with any other nozzles or receptacles, common on buses, trash trucks and semi's trucks (lorries)

These are the only ones I am familiar with

Comment

I think I'm getting to the bottom of this... As you say, there is a high volume receptacle and nozzle, this is (I think) NGV2. Whereas P30 & P36 are NGV1. So if I have this right, with 2 x versions of the high volume receptacle and nozzle for 3000 & 3600psi, there are four in common use? That's a piccy of it above, on the left.

This covers Europe, the US and most else. We're unlikley to see any of these, yet there's more variants around the world. The Kiwi's have one, as do the Ruskies/Chinese, and I've already mentioned the Italian version as pictured above.

If I'm right Europe, the US get:

NGV1 - Thus P30 & P36 at each pressure
      NGV2 - Two at each pressure. (I've seen a P38 in seraching??)
      Last edited by BritCNGUser; 05-23-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Adapters are available to allow a car (NGV1) to fuel from a high-flow (NGV2) truck nozzle. Another adapter allows a truck to fuel from a car nozzle at a fast-fueling station dispenser. The former is probably not a good idea, and the truck adapter to the small nozzle likely isn't necessary, either, because all truck tank assemblies have both low and high flow hose nozzle receptacles, plus a defueling nozzle.

With many stations deciding to leave only one hose for cars while making the rest high-flow because of the growing truck market needing CNG fuel, all it would take is one drive-away with the hose connected to prevent cars from getting fuel. It is ALWAYS good practice to have the ignition key on a lanyard (string) to loop around the hose each time you fill.

CNG_WhiteCity_lanyard.jpg

The problem with thinking that a Honda Civic 8 gge tank can be fueled using a high flow nozzle is that the first "puff" you hear the dispenser give is helping the dispenser determine the starting pressure and size of the fuel tank. It does this by sensing a pressure rise. With the high flow hose, it is expecting a 400 gge tank (or so) and the initial volume of gas dispensed may instantly fill the Honda Tank. Storage tanks at stations can have gas stored as high as 5500 psi. So this test burst of fuel may fill the tank - and has the potential to leave it at a pressure higher than it should as well.

If a dispenser doesn't detect a pressure rise after the first burst, it may assume a leak in the system and not add any more fuel, period. This is likely not the reason that a dispenser sometimes puts in less than half a gallon and quits; yet will fuel normally when tried a second time. But, rest assured, the electronics have a lot of safeguards that, for the most part, are never encountered when fueling goes normally.

CNG_WEH_NGV1adaptor.png CNG_WEH_NGV2adaptor.png

Comment

Thanks, do I have the above correct? Have to say I'm still not convinced I can define the differences. Less importantly, the 'what-and-why' of a P38 when it's at home. Use the Google Poodle, and like most of this stuff, the info is very much aimed at pros, thus assumes you'll already know.
          Last edited by BritCNGUser; 1 week ago.

Comment

Type 1 is what you are going to see in any public fueling station that caters to light and mid duty vehicles. The tubing going to the tanks are usual 1/4" to 1/2". Type 2 is for heavy duty vehicles for faster filling, think Transit buses and highflown capacities. It is not unusual for these vehicles to be set up with both this of receptacles. The tubing going to the tanks is 1/2' to 7/8". P 30 is for 3000 PSI fills Type 2 is for 3600 Psi fills as stated before you can fit a P30 nozzle on a p36 receptacle but not vice versa. This keeps from over filling lower pressure cylinders. In the US 3000 PSI is all but dead, I assume vehicles filling at a 3000 are either running out of date cylinders or don't care if they get full fills. http://www.opwglobal.com/products/us...ts/receptacles

Comment

Working...
            X