This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax credit verification

I went to the Chevy dealership for a vin verification for my taxes but they don't show it as OEM? How else can I prove that it is EPA certified or OEM so I can get my credit?

Re: Tax credit verification

deltahusky,

You need to ask the Chevy dealership for a Vehicle Build Sheet. This sheet contains the codes for the vehicle. KL6 is the code for the alternative fuel conversion.

I have also moving this thread to the Tax - Utah forum.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Has anyone been deined a utah state tax credit? What has or does the state audit and tax commission challenge?

Comment

If you have your TC-40V form signed by the Division of Air Quality, I don't think they can challenge anything. The Division of Air Quality is going to make sure that your vehicle qualifies for the tax credit before they sign and stamp your form.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
          If you have your TC-40V form signed by the Division of Air Quality, I don't think they can challenge anything. The Division of Air Quality is going to make sure that your vehicle qualifies for the tax credit before they sign and stamp your form.

ISSUE:
          The audit division and now the Administrative Law judge interrupt the pre-2008 law as:
          The lesser of: 50% of the of the OEM incremental cost of the CNG vehicle or,
          50% of the purchase price of a used cng vehicle.

So… If you purchased a used CNG vehicle in 2008, and the Air Quality Board signs off, the state auditors say the credit is limited to 50% of the purchase price.

In my case, I purchase a Contour for $3,500 with repairs needed to the comp-value.
          They say I am limited to 50% of the purchase price or $3,500 X 50% = $1,750.
          Anyone else challenged by the state?

Comment

Many of us have had letters from the state asking for documentation for the tax credit. I sent in copies of my DEQ-stamped TC-40V and they replied that it was sufficient.

Comment

Maybe my original post was not clear.

The Utah Income Tax Audit Division accepted the Form TC-40V and the supporting documents.
              However, they responded that I was not allowed the full credit as stated in the 2008 Form TC-40V instructions.

The TC-40V instructions state the Clean Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit is limited to the lesser of:
              1) 50% of the OEM incremental cost of the CNG option or 2) $3,000.

The Utah State Audit Division says the instructions are wrong. The credit is limited to the lesser of:
              1) “50% of the PURCHASE PRICE or,
              2) $3,000”.

So---- If you purchased a used OEM vehicle in 2008 for $3,600 the Utah Audit Division limits the credit to $1,800 (50% times the purchase price), rather than 50% of the OEM incremental cost. In this case $5,075 times 50% = $2,536,

The 2008 and earlier Form TC-40V instructions are very clear and make no distiction between new or used vehicles. Nor do the instructions limit the credit to the "Purchase Price". The limitation is the "OEM Incremental Costs of the CNG option".

Has anyone else received notice from the Utah Audit division proposing an adjustment like this? Should I be contacting an accountant or attorney?

Comment

Yep, you have got a problem.

The law changed on January 1, 2009. That is when it changed to 35% of the purchase price of the vehicle.

You did purchase your vehicle on or before December 31, 2008, right?
                Jared.
                Mountain Green, Utah
                2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Yes. May. 2008

Comment

Hi

I received the request for state auditor to sent the verification documents for clean energy credits, such tax returns, attached 1099 forms etc. , also original bills of sale of the vechicles and proof of they are OEM.
                    I do have TC -40 V forms stamped by division of air quality and send to him (including my tax returns, attached forms). He still said it is not good enough. I remember I had to have the built sheets from dealers and bills of sale in order to get my TC-40 forms stamped. I went to DMV to get bills of sale, they told me they don't have them. I bouhgt my cng cars in 2008 so I don't even why would they care the bills of sale. I am very frustrated and don't know what else I can do.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

I think there are discriminated against you. And it can comes in many forms.
                      I would go in and file a claim that you feel you have been discriminated by them.
                      List all those you talked with, and include all the paper work.
                      All State and Federal agencies must follow very strike rules on this.
                      I bet someone will get back with you in a few days.
                      I have had to do this and I can tell you I was taking care of in a day and got calls from the State house to make shore I was happy.
                      Bob Mann

Comment

I am in the same boat. Being audited and asked for the bill of sale. The bill of sale is on the back of UTAH STATE VEHICLE TITLE, and the state keeps it upon registration!

Comment

It is clear that the Utah Tax Commission is overstepping its bounds, and we need to unite against this abuse. I am going to close this thread in favor of a definitive thread with documentation provided by our member Luke in the main Utah Forum. Please follow the discussion here:
                          http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....e-Utah-Tax-Man

Comment

Working...
                          X